Sign in to follow this  

Flight 1 Meridian worth purchasing??

Guest gooper

Hi folks I am seriously considering buying the Flight 1 Meridian as i am really not a GA fan but this product looks very promising indeed,my only concern is thaT I have read that it takes some fairly serious horsepower to run efficiently and with this mind my current system is an Athlon 1200,768 mb ram, radeon 7500 64mb card-does anyone have Meridian installed on a system similar to mine and how does the Meridian function on it??

Hi,Also, do a search using the key word "meridian". Down about ten hits you'll find a thread title "Meridian's been out a little while - what do you think?". Lot of good info. I would provide a link but I do not know how. Sorry.BobP :)

Guest flightpro08

Having just purcahsed the Meridian on Sunday, my time with it has been fairly limited, but so far I like what I see.The aircraft itself is just stunning. Everything from the external model to the Garmin GNS530 is fantastic. Just to give you an idea of how complete this baby is, the basic information manual, just giving an outline of the systems, is 117 pages long. :-eek Needless to say, Flight1 made sure this aircraft was as realistic as possible.The one "negative" thing about the Meridian in performace. On my rig (which specs are below), the Meridian can easily bring my frame rates down to around 20 FPS. Granted, I have everything in FS2k2 basically maxed, and the configuration manager set to 2GHz or higher, so I'm really not complaining. ;-)The "slower performace" (though, I hate to call it that) is more than made up for by the smoothness of the gauges. The 2D panel gauge performance is really fantastic, and are by far the smoothest gauges I've seen for FS2k2. The VC gauges are not near as smooth as the 2D gauges, but this is to be expected, and they're still good none-the-less.Overall, I feel this aircraft is great. As I mentioned earlier, I haven't had a lot of time with the aircraft yet, but I feel I will be spending quite a bit of time with in after I read through all of the manuals. :-) Hope this gives you a small idea of what to expect.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)ASRC (Advanced Simulated Radar Client) Beta Testerhttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 42.86 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click Here to Download my American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!

I think I posted something on the other thread (mentioned above) about this, but anyway the airplane is awesome. Flight1 calls this add-on a bargain at $30, and I agree completely. The visuals, the instruments, the accuracy are excellent, and the integration between the various panel toys has set a new high water mark for FS GA airplanes. I'm running it on an Athlon 1700XP/512Mb/Geforce 3 Ti200/WinXP, at 1280x1024. It definitely puts more of a load on the system and FS, but I have been able to get it to stay reasonably smooth by using the performance utility and also turning down my FS settings somewhat (not a lot). Also, the 1.1 update has done some things that should improve it even more. I have 1.1 installed but have not had a chance to spend more than a few minutes with it but so far I think it's a little smoother.Dave BlevinsKRHV

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Hi Dave,Thanks for the compliments. Spend a little time with 1.1 and let us know what you think. By all rights, you should see a greater increase in performance and in frame rates and smoothness. Properly tweaked, the Meridian should run really well on any moderate to high level computer. We are even getting some guys on "under speced" computers who are doing really well. Regards,Jim Rhoads

Guest UweR

Hi, I would rate this amongst the best 30 dollars I spent on Simware this and the last year, and would definitely recommend it. My second computer is an Athlon 1.2 GHz with 768 MB RAM and a GeForce 2 card. If you think it would help making a decision, I

Hi Uwe,Yes it is allowed, but you will have to contact sales@flight1.com so that Jeff can set you up with a key to work for the other machine.It really comes down to how you tweak your machine. I have seen very low end machines (less than 1G) running well when properly set up and bigger machines that are not so well maintained not doing so well until they followed some of our suggestions. The configuration manager also allows several different options to increase performance. But bottom line is.. how can you lose? if your not satisfied we give you your money back. Fair enough?Regards,Jim Rhoads

If it's any help, I am a VERY VERY happy Meridian flyer (and I really never was a GA type person .. preferring the medium and heavy jets)and my machine is an "older" PIII/866 w/512mb ram and a gforce2mx400 w/64mb video card. I don't count frame rates, only my satisfaction. You can configure without VC and lots of other high graphic overhead eye-candy .. and on my machine the Meridian taxis well in spot view, and flies extremely well .. the gauges are worth 10 times the price just for themselves ... works like a charm.Probably the BEST add on ever .. in my 20yr+ sim experience ..

Guest WorkingStiff

I'm running the Meridian on a 1.2 gHz computer without problems; I'm averaging 20 fps on the tutorial flight from KVRB to KMIA (my Miami scenery is from Wilco Publishing's Airport 2000 series so it's a bit taxing on my system).But the plane flies smoothly on my system which I keep very well maintained; including shutting off all the background Windows processes that just waste system resources.I haven't applied the version 1.1 upgrade yet but I expect even better performance based on the reports I've seen. My only problem is that I can't get the plane to descend at the correct rate. When the VSR reaches 900 fpm and I instruct the autopilot to initiate descent for some reason it does it extremely slowly and I'm unable to capture the glideslope. It's probably something incorrect I'm doing but I haven't figured it out yet....My system specs:1.2 ghz processor512 MB RAMgForce 3 graphics cardWindows XP Professional

Be sure and have the correct - (minus) Vertical speed + targetaltitude and make sure your not in "data" mode, then engage the VS / Altitude by pressing on the hot spot "in between" the Vs and Altitude buttons. This should bring you right down to the target Alt and level off. If you want to capture the glide slope you will have to be in APR mode.Regards and thanks for the comments guys.Jim Rhoads

Guest WorkingStiff

>Be sure and have the correct - (minus) Vertical speed + >target >altitude and make sure your not in "data" mode, then engage >the VS / Altitude by pressing on the hot spot "in between" >the Vs and Altitude buttons. This should bring you right >down to the target Alt and level off. If you want to capture >the glide slope you will have to be in APR mode. >Regards and thanks for the comments guys. >Jim Rhoads Jim, I'm doing all of that except for APR mode (sheepish grin)I've been flying the KVRB-KMIA tutorial and the only problem is with the VSR. I wait until the indicated VSR is approx. 950 ft per minute then I instruct the autopilot to descend by clicking the VS/Altitude hidden clickspot. The autopilot is preprogrammed to descend to an altitude of 2,500 ft at a 1,000 ft descent rate.For some odd reason my descent rate has been about 100 ft per minute each time I fly the tutorial. And yes, I do have the rate set at -1,000 ft.How do I know that I'm not in "Data" mode?I'm so used to flying 767 PIC that there's a significant learning curve in handling the Garmins. I took me a while to figure out where the transponder was (hidden by yoke).

Guest PhilipManwaring

In a word: yes.I also enjoy the jets, but this is special. Brilliant avionics modelling so detailed you can download the original manufacturers' directions and it all works just loike the book says. Smooth instruments, great flight model, good sounds, nice visuals. The GNS530 alone is worth the $30, but I also love other aspects like the S-Tec autopilot that actually works like a proper autopilot instead of the usual default Fs2002 version.I'm running a 1.5 GHz Athlon with no performance issues. Buy it. You'll like it. Philip.

If you like a higher-tec instrumenation package, then this is the ultimate for GA siming.I love the glass displays, the GPS, it's all so good!The BEST $30.00 I've spent on an aircraft!JerryGP.S. AVSIM now has a review on today's front page. I guess they like it too 5 stars!