Sign in to follow this  
Guest jbm_4

KBOS, Something is different!

Guest jbm_4

Hi all, Ok, so I re=installed flight sim the other day because I was having problems running it. So now I have to re-installed all the things that make the simulator come alive.I downloaded KBOS, look at the pictures, is blurry. I can't figure out what to play with in the display setting, CYYZ and KJFK are fine! It's just KBOS that different!Hope some one knows what to play with!

For some reason, FS9 defaults with only scenery very close to the aircraft showing clearly.Use these settings in your FS9.cfg file.(TERRAIN) (use square brackets here)TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=50.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=40.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=40.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1307992

John

Guest jbm_4

Where is that located? I did a search in the FS folder and nothing came up

Start > Run > %appdata% > Microsoft > FS9 > fs9.cfg (not the text file titled fs9.CFG)

Mike...

Guest jbm_4

Ok, So I made those changes but KBOS is till weird. Look at the pic, its hard to tell but texture doesn't look like a good quality one. Any other ideas?

Guest RonB49

This picture is from a different perspective than the first ones, you're farther away. Now you are seeing a known shortcoming of the MSFS scenery system. Notice that it is not just the airport (KBOS) that looks "weird" but all of the scenery texture at that distance. Notice also the distict line that separates the two levels of detail, the nearer from the farther. This is a problem that has been discussed for years and there seems to be no solution.R-

Guest jbm_4

ya but even when I'm close to it, on the runway, the texture seems weird. There's really nothing that we can do? Take a look a these 3 airports. CYYZ fine, KJFK fine, KBOS look at the grass.

Guest Elvi5

@jbm_4Its hard to tell what your problem is because your sceenshots are all so poor & you don't list your hardware.But..Increase mip map quality in the fs settings.Turn on Anti Aliasing & Anisotropic Filtering on your video card. 4x should be a good start for both.

Guest jbm_4

Elvi5, I've got a 256 on board card, I know what your thinking, that your problem JBM, but It was like the pictures that John put up. I don't know a lot about graphics cards, where do I play with those settings?

Guest Elvi5

I don't know much about those on-board cards. The control panel is probably on the taskbar somewhere.You should look at upgrading to a ATI or Nvidia card. Those on-board cards are very very slow.The pictures John posted are Boston V1. You are using V2 which uses more texture & I doubt your GFX card can handle it very well.

"I've got a 256 on board card, I know what your thinking, that your problem JBM, but It was like the pictures that John put up."Er.. I run a dell XPS 710 with an Invidia 8800 graphics card with 768 MB.Are you sure you were getting the same quality graphics with your on board card!?:-)

John

Guest jbm_4

maybe not 100% but it was like it, I really can't figure this one out! Everything was ok till I re-installed flight sim! ARG!I don't understand why CYYZ and KJFK is ok and not KBOS. Do you guys think Version 1 will make a difference?

Guest Elvi5

V1 uses a lot less texture than V2. So it might be better for that on-board card. V2 or V2.1 are FAR better than V1 so I don't recommend anyone using V1 anymore. I made them all, so I know V1 sucks :)Your surrounding MS terrain seems to be suffering from severe blurring too. You really should upgrade that card. Even the cheapest, nastiest Nvidia card on the shelves right now, will be 10 times better.