Sign in to follow this  
Guest mikevanisland

Distractions for difficult times...

Guest mikevanisland

Maybe it's just me. I've been here under other names since 98/2000, came because of Fly!, stayed to help, but for years I just read because the hobby's far surpassed my meagre abilities.My prime use of FS9 is GA mountain flying (Thanks L.Adamson, for your consistent inspirations in this regard), but traditionally I'm pretty big on the 500page-manual stuff. So no giving me crap for how this suggestion isn't "simulating" anything!!!I just have to say I found something that is such a nice change from tweaking and flying and feeling frustrated when something "breaks" my sim immersion and suspension.I am truly LMAO using the Maule to ski. I don't mean just using the ski-equipped Maule (fsnordic.net), I mean skiing with it.Slew it to the top of a mountain (I've been hanging out around Missoula), and keep the engine off. Get it started down a slope and hang on!The inertia when it skids sideways, trying to keep the wings from scraping, trying to follow the twists of the valleys, launching 200 feet into the air off of bumps and having to land again (on a downslope!) without stalling (no engine!) ... I have never had a flight sim experience that left my stomach sore from laughing, though I've had plenty that have left me *sore*.If you need a break, if you are frustrated, sad, bored, feeling due to news lately that we all may take the wrong things too seriously and the wrong things for granted, then please try it. No engines. Pick a nice spot to start. How far down the mountain can you "ski" before crashing? Post your results or favourite starting coordinates. Watch your replay in spot view. Laugh. Be joyous.Cheers.

Guest mikevanisland

Almost forgot, it's also a fine, sneaky way to get the wife or kids to check out your sim. After having actual fun (my wife, I have to say this again for my own belief, had fun with FS), I felt far less geeky to hear her exclaim "I had no idea it looked that amazing."And a virtual beer on me to anyone who starts N47 18.05, W113 52.52, heading of 045, and makes it down to that lake straight ahead. I suggest judicious use of airtime off the bumps. Full flaps is the way to go I think (and hard winter+winter weather). Hope I'm not distracting anyone from serious flightsimming! Off to ski the rockies...

Guest neslesman

OK twist my arm and wish me luck.Edit: I just did a quickie but it's a winner. I don't think the Maule mechanic is going to be too pleased though. Now I have to go look for other locations and challenges.Have you tried Lukla?

Why don't you try Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta? A 18500ft mountain just by the sea, close to SKSM (Santa Marta). Coordinates: N10

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Guest CaptainCernick

You know, Bill Lyons included a skier with one of his packages. I can't exactly remember which one, maybe the Ryan STA.