Sign in to follow this  
Guest trulsismann

Backing up fs9

Guest trulsismann

Hi everyoneI've just bought vista ultimate, the OEM version, which requires a format to install.But my fs9 has so many add ons I have bought and because I don't think about the future a lot most of the installers are gone.. Is there any way of backing up FS9 to transfer it to Vista, with all the add ons working?

It's pretty much impossible to so it using the same OS, let alone changing to Vista. Complex addons like PMDG and LevelD etc all need reinstall. Registry entries are written, license files are written. It's a nightmare. Honestly it's best to reinstall. Make a copy of your FS9 as it stands though, since you'll need to copy over your scenery (most of which won't need reinstalling) and all those other little file tweaks etc later.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest trulsismann

But then I need to buy them all over again, right?

I'm doing the same thing as we speak, but because I just got a new rig. It's time consuming, and you just have to take your time.You should not have to purchase the payware over again as long as you kept serial numbers, installers if possible, registration key's, etc. Luckily, I'm got everything thus far, but I haven't even touched aircraft yet.....and thank god for the F1 wrapper system! If you don't, I would highly recommend an external hard drive. I got one a while back, and have kept all my purchase info, and back-ups of directories and third party scenery's I want to keep, or blacked-up....I've even saved my complete aircraft directory. Even though I have to fresh install many of the payware versions, I still have all my mods which can be copied over the new install.Have fun, and have patience.

^^ That's exactly what I do. Smart move.Plus all the Outlook messages containing activation key's and etc I keep safe too.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest allcott

Same here!320gig WD USB externmal drive. Zip Storage as a folder branch. FS Backups off that. Further branches for all of my addons, split by developer. Keep all files pertaining to individual addons in separate folders again - installation file, order confirmation, patches, updates, technical notes, even the passwords and codes. I also backup everything EXCEPT the installers themselves to DVD, with the exception of the `one hit wonders` installers that provide temporary e-mail or internet links to the downloads. Them I keep off the computer as well as on it, for obvious reasons!But you may not need to reinstall EVERY addon. Backup the existing FS installation (you won't need to do this if the Vista installation is on a drive that isn't going to affect FS with a reformat. Use the opportunity to create a separate partition for the OS (or OS's if you plan a dual boot).When you have installed the OS, run the FS installer, don't bother with the update, then copy over the entire backed-up FS installation to that directory, overwriting as you go. With luck, most of the addons will still work, and you only need to reinstall those that don't - like Flight 1 wrappered productsAllcott

Guest trulsismann

Thanks everyone.. will try that out! Does anyone know anything about whether the NVIDIA vista drivers has improved?