Sign in to follow this  
Farlis

A comparism of AI

If one tries to search for AI related topics on this forum, the results are aplenty. But I couldn't find what I was looking for.Currently I use Ultimate Traffic, which to my understanding uses the PAI models. Then there is the new PAI and World of AI which compiles itself from various sources of AI Models like FSP and EvolveAI.What I am looking for is a comparism of strain on system that is a bit more comprehensive than the usual "On my system I win a frame with EvolveAI models".I really like the way some of those models look compared to the PAI versions and I keep hearing that they are "supposed" to be better in performance.But I want proof before I deinstall Ultimate Traffic and begin recompiling my traffic with World of AI packages. So my questions is: Is the performance improved with these packages, and has anyone numbers to show for it? And if this is the case, what is the cause of that improvement? Is it a lower LOD in these models or is it caused by the smaller numbers of AI displayed in general?Anyone can shed some light on this?Karsten

Guest neslesman

I use them both and still don't have enough AI in my opinion. If I should get a conflict of too much traffic somewhere, which I haven't yet, it would be easy and quick to fix.I am definitely not one of those people willing to put a bunch of energy into AI as much as I have respect for those that do spend a lot of time, for now at least I have other priorities as a relative newbie. For me the best solution would be a one click does all solution. I do love the World of AI though and it would be the last to go.BTW I think you had a touch of cerebral flatulence when you said Ultimate Terrain, I'm sure you meant Ultimate Traffic. I get a lot of the similarly named stuff mixed up in this sim too so don't feel bad.

Did I really say...Yes I did. Jeez, it's late.*quickly erases evidence*And about the question you brought up, if there can ever be enough AI?Well of course not from a realism standpoint. I would love to have every real world company fly around the parts I do most of my simming. But I noticed that on my system frames drop below acceptable, around the time as soon as there are more than about 70 Aircraft displayed. So that's why I started considering replacing my AI with more system-efficient ones which would in ideal conditions lead to have about 10 or 20 more Aircraft displayed before I reach the same level of performance.

Why remove Ultimate Traffic?Even with all the WoA packages and filling in with all the PAI packages which are not duplicates - you'd still have only about 25% of the AI you have with UT.However, I would strongly recommend your replace any available airlines with World of AI and PAI packages.All you have to do with UT is uncheck those airlines in the screen where you choose what to compile into your UT traffic file.Secondly, the Ultimate Traffic Aircraft Assignment is a fantastic tool - you can replace any UT aircraft/ repaint with one from a different modeler or repainter. Use that to work on the airlines which do not have packages available.Hwo to compare:Polygons and LOD are the way to tell if a model is less of a performance hit. In general the fewer polygons and the more LOD, the less cpu and gpu power it takes to fly the model and to display it when it is in view.B762UT/PAI v1 - 3 LOD - polygons by LOD - (1) 6507 - (2) 5632 - (3) 112WoA/AIA - 5 LOD - polygons by LOD (1) 2165 - (2) 1845 - (3) 1313 - (4) 729 - (5) 99PAI v2 - 3 LOD - (1) 5169 - (2) 3057 - (3) 120That is one of the older AI Aardvark models - but you can see that three AIA B762 aircraft using the same texture take about as much power as one UT aircraft.The A320 is another example:FSP v2 - 5 LOD - (1) 6150 - (2) 2510 - (3) 1560 - (4) 464 - (5) 68PAI - 3 LOD - (1) 7012 - (2) 3352 - (3) 112PAI v2 - 3 LOD - (1) 5038 - (2) 3024 - (3) 84EvolveAI - 8 LOD - (1) 2600 - (2) 2366 - (3) 2047 - (4) 1594 - (5) 1188 - (6) 540 - (7) - 169 - (8) 72Despite the popular myth, the FSP v2 aircraft has more polygons than the PAI v2 aircraft - but the 5 LOD of the FSP plane especially at LOD other than 1 make it a better preformer.However, the Evolve AI plane has the all beat by a mile.And some of the newer versions of the EvolveAI Airbus series are even better - but due to the advanced gmax modeling techniques, I can't get polygon counts from Aircraft Container Manager.

Now that is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. Thanks. :)Now that you've mentioned. Yes there are two ways to replace UT models.Of course one could uncheck any duplicate airlines and simply replace them with a complete package from either WoAI or PAI, however wouldn't it be more efficient to simply replace the model throught the setup tool, if there isn't a package availabe that has newer schedules? That would definately save disk space wasted on installing two models and textures for the same airline.

Guest Rob Hirst

Just to back up what Reggie has mention regarding the ACA2005 utility. Whatever you decide to do this tool is a must. Well it is for me, I'd be lost without it. Having said that I don't have UT so don't know what assistance that provides.One things for sure, AI is addictive!