Sign in to follow this  
Guest neslesman

I'm in NTVDM.EXE agony

Guest neslesman

Has anyone had problem with a win32 system file called NTVDM.EXE? I've searched around and determined it's got something to do with 16 bit textures or some such. I don't understand that part. I've checked it out with antivirus and spybot and Ad Aware and it's negative there.What it does is start every time I fire up FS9 and never does otherwise. It runs the processor to 100% and basically brings everything to a standstill. I shut it down with Task Manager and after the start up it usually stays shut down but it might surprise me a couple times and restart. It starts every time I start FS9. I've read where other people have similar problems with the thing too but I haven't read a solution. I've tried deleting it (after backing up) from windows/sytem 32 but it rebuilds itself instantly. I've tried killing it from MSConfig but it doesn't show up there even when it's running in Task Manager. There is a .DLL of a similar name too but I don't know what it does either. Killing it with task manager seems to have zero effect beyond the joy of getting rid of it usually until my next FS9 start up.Anyone else witness this and find a solution. My computer skills are fairly mediocre and I don't understand a lot of the jargon that I read when researching although I often can find solutions. Not this time though.

Guest JTEK99

Hi.Do you, perchance, have any RealityXP GPS gauges installed?

Guest neslesman

Yes I do, is there a connection? Even if there is, is there a fix?Thanks for the reply.

Guest JTEK99

>Yes I do, is there a connection? Even if there is, is there>a fix?>>Thanks for the reply.No problem on the reply.Well... you're encountering a problem with the NTVDM executable in that it robs a boatload of resources and CPU cycles whenever you load an aircraft that contains an RXP GNS gauge set.You'd be interested to know that, although many many people have told RXP about this, they're in a perpetual state of denial about it. Here is one amongst dozens of threads on that very subject.After reading through several dozen pages about the stuff, you will find that it all comes down to gibberish since there is very little forthcoming as far as a solution is concerned.Now, I want to note that I have never encountered the dreaded NTVDM resource-hogging issue. However, what I *have* experienced is a definite robbing of frames when using RXP-GNS-equipped aircraft. But I found one little fix that did quite a bit for me, and that was merely making sure that any connection between the default GPS and the RXP GPS units must be disconnected; the only way to do this is in the gauge's .INI file. It affects people who have LOTS of scenery layers, and I am one of those. By applying that fix, I got a resultant increase in performance with those aircraft. Nothing earth-shattering, but verifiable over a good long period of testing.See these couple of threads for more information on the subject:http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=14334http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...?TID=15872&PN=1Good luck. And be prepared for confusion. :)

Guest neslesman

That is very interesting and I'm greatful for steering me in a direction. Without thinking too much about it I'm wondering NOW if my problem didn't begin on the A36 Bonanza, my default ride, when I bumped the default GPS slot for the Weather Radar because I have not had the problem all along with the Reality XPs, the problem is new, the gauges aren't.HMMMMMMMM There's a Ying and a Yang to all this stuff isn't there?Thank you again. Looks like I got some work ahead.

I used to have the same problem with NTDVDM. It went away when I bought a new computer, but the other day I fired up the DF Baron 58 with the RXP stuff and the problem came back. I got so ###### and now all the DF/RXP stuff is shelved again. Worst part? RXP doesn't care about the problem. As much as I like RXP and can't wait for their AXP 320, it is frutrating to no end getting absolutely zero help on the issue. But I guess this is more of a rant than a helpful post, but you're not alone even though RXP will try to tell you otherwise to cover their rears. :)

Guest ArtieLange

>You'd be interested to know that, although many many people>have told RXP about this, they're in a perpetual state of>denial about it. Here is one amongst dozens of threads on that>very subject.>>After reading through several dozen pages about the stuff, you>will find that it all comes down to gibberish since there is>very little forthcoming as far as a solution is concerned.>That is an understatement, I was only able to solve my ntvdm problem with a complete FS9 reinstall, which was then chalked up as "problem solved" by reality xp. It looks like Airliner XP is the death of flightscenery and maybe even reality xp, so I wouldn't expect any solution or answer on it.

Guest neslesman

Thanks Art. I'm not going to re install but I'm going to try to find what the 16 bit stuff is at start up that brings it on, if I have to get rid of Reality XP so be it. Any idea how to track down 16 bit stuff. What I'm going to set up in a couple minutes is an FS Auto Start with just one single command, to kill the NYVDM beast then I won't be chasing it down with task manager and so on. Generally it stays dead after my FS9 loads a flight, so I can just hit FSAutostart when my CPU stalls and all should be well after that.Apparently the NTVDM.exe is a vital program that XP needs and uses so it can't be gotten rid of totally, even though I have tried.

Guest ArtieLange

>>Apparently the NTVDM.exe is a vital program that XP needs and>uses so it can't be gotten rid of totally, even though I have>tried.That is the problem, the gps uses the garmin trainer which is a 16 bit program, so you need ntvdm to run it on a 32 bit system. I was lucky that I did a reintall for other reasons and it fixed the problem. The ntdvm still uses all the available cpu that fs9 isn't using, but it works with no problem.I love the 530, but why something in 2007 uses a 16 bit program is beyond me.

Guest neslesman

So it is the 530 that's the 16 bit program. I thought maybe it was some tiny piece of something unknown. All this is refreshing my memory now and yes the problem did develop at the time of the Garmin trainer install, which was a hassle in itself.

Guest ArtieLange

>So it is the 530 that's the 16 bit program. I thought maybe>it was some tiny piece of something unknown. All this is>refreshing my memory now and yes the problem did develop at>the time of the Garmin trainer install, which was a hassle in>itself.The Garmin trainer is the 16 bit program, and the 530 and/or 430 will not work without the trainer. Reality xp says the trainer is what makes the gps so realistic, and since Garmin uses a 16 bit program for the trainer we are stuck with it.

Hi,I am not sure of this wil help (NTVDM = New Technology Virtual DOS Machine !), but that's what I do with my DOS programs:Right click "My computer" -> "Advanced" -> "Performance - Settings" ->"Data Execution Prevention" . Select "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except ..."and add the program that is calling NTVDM to the list below the selection.Regards,Hugo

Guest neslesman

Thanks Hugo I'll give it a shot.It's not a solution but I set up FSAutostart with a new icon to do one thing only, kill NTVDM, and it works well without taking anytime or anything. I'll check out your tip now.