Sign in to follow this  

737-400 and A-300 Range

Just curious, but does anyone if there are any regularly scheduled flights from California to Hawaii on a 737-400 or Airbus A-320, or is this flight out of their range? I thought about flying it with the Dreamfleet 737 and was curious if it is done for real. Thanks :-)

Aloha airlines has a 737-700 flight into Sky Harbor, with a stop at Orange County....Here's a link to a mention of this on Sky Harbor's website...http://phoenix.gov/AVIATION/enthusiast/bw_current.htmlMy longest overwater flight in a 737-300 was from JFK to Caracas, back in 1990. I recall it was a good four hour flight--somewhere close to 2000 miles.-John

They can make it, they're just not E-TOPS certified to do so.

"They can make it, they're just not E-TOPS certified to do so."Yep--even my JFK-Caracas flight was only 30-60 minutes from land. But I believe the '700 might be certified. It's blessed with longer range than the 300/400.... But any long haul like that, and I'd rather be in something like a 767, where you're never more than a seat away from the aisle. My longest 737 flight (timewise) was a six hour, headwind fighting flight in a '700 from BWI to PHX.... Not any fun in a single aisle aircraft :)

Guest tcable

The 737-700 has to have ETOPS cetification in order to fly the Hawaii-CONUS routes (180 minutes I beleive)Tim

Yup, Aloha even offers an SF0-HNL direct flight. I recall reading somewhere that their 737-NGs were ETOPS certified...

Aloha even had 737-200 which were ETOPS certified:http://www.airliners.net/open.file/229112/L/Read the blurb and then look closely at the nose-gear door.http://www.airliners.net/open.file/155649/L/And another...http://www.airliners.net/open.file/162148/L/And a third picture.Still, I'm not sure I'd want to be on a 737 from the Islands to the coast. Then again, I've never flown over water period...Anyone know how many of these 732 ETOPS birds existed?Matt

All B737-200 through -900 are capable of ETOPS status providing the carrier meets certain maintenance, instrumentation and procedural requirements. Among these, the most notable is that the APU must be left on for the duration of an ETOPS flight to serve as a 3rd power source in the air should one of the engine generators drop offline. If the APU is INOP, ETOPS status is withdrawn.Aloha operates a few ETOPS -200's. Air Nauru used to operate a -200 on quite a few demanding ETOPS routes back in the 70/80's and into the early 90's before it was replaced by a 737-400 (operating under ETOPS certification). Freedom Air operates 737-300 on ETOPS missions from NZ to Austrailia, and the 737-NG's roles with Continental Micronesia, Air Pacific, Aloha, Copa, etc, are well known.There's no difference between a 737 or 767 on an overwater flight, other than the size of the airplane. Considering the 737's dispatch reliability is a touch higher than the 767, especially early 767-200's and the Airbus family, I'd much rather be on a 737 to Hawaii.