Sign in to follow this  
virtualstuff

64 Megs vs. 128 Megs -- for those that have made the pl

Hey all,I've followed this thread with interest, and was wondering if any of the above cards would make a difference on my antiquated system. I know that FS2K2 is very CPU intensive, so card in my case wouldn't give me much of the way of frame rate increase. However, I would like to squeeze a little more performance out of this machine the last few months that I will have it. My computer is a PII 400, 384RAM, with the Diamond Viper 770 32Meg card, running on the original Windows98 release. Actually it does fairly well with 2K2 provided I don't go crazy with the sliders.If anyone has a recommendation for a newer video card, please let me know.Regards,ScottCFII/KJMS

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

Guest ront1

Hi Tim13, I have almost an identical system except for the processor. See my Sig. I am very happy with my 9500Pro. It seems to work great with everything I throw at it.Ron

Scott, I had a Celeron 900 which I upgraded with a GF4-4200-128Megcard. The main benefit was better looking and smoother textures that reached all the way out to the horizon. I was also able to increase my screen resolution from 1024x768x16 to 1280x960x32 without fps loss.I was then able to re-use the card when I upgraded the system to a P4-2.4 which more than doubled my framerates.In short, the GF4-4200 is well priced and can work for you right now, as well as in your next system..

Bert

John upgrade 6 weeks ago from a Geforce2 TI 64 mb to Geforce4 TI4200S 128 MB (fast memory)In graphics a huge difference ( :-) ) as for the blurriness the same tweaks :( any difference for the blurriness hmm... a little...Get the fastest mobo and CPU you can afford to fight those blurriness :-)Andr

André

Bert, Thanks for the info. That's what I needed to know (and wanted to hear) ;-)Regards,ScottCFII/KJMS

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

Guest Tim13

Ron,That is very encouraging! Thanks for posting that info.Tim

Guest Tim13

I agree with what Bert said about the 4200, and I would also keep an eye on the 9500 Pro. Now that the 9800 Pro is out, the 9700 and 9500 should drop in price which would put the 9500 Pro in the 4200's price category. Wow, that involved a lot of numbers! LOL.Tim13