Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mesa

Uses for Dual Monitor

Guest Mesa

I'd be interested to know what others use on their second monitor in FS9. I usually just drag across the GPS and radio panel, sometimes the ATC window but I've been looking at FSNavigator, an electronic flight bag or even getting a RealityXp gauge to drag across. A moving map would be great but I'm not sure that there is one available?What do you use on yours?

Guest neslesman

For me every aircraft is different so I don't have a set pattern. FS Navigator doesn't like full screen on the second monitor which really is too bad, and my systems doesn't like windowed mode. My third monitor which is simply an old computer that I keep all my manuals and charts on and use it to surf while flying if I want some web site information. I find that one really invaluable. I'm going to have to get it networked in so I can get it to carry some of the workload and run simultaneous programs.

Moving maps/charts....yes try http://fswidgets.com/index.phpI drag whatever, whenever I like to see it there. Widgets even provide a utility to calibrate sectional charts or most any map or chart to use in their EFB. Give it a look.cheersGary

For me it depends on the plane. For some, I use the second monitor for the FMC, overhead panel, and/or pedestal etc. For some, I keep the RXP Garmin, autopilot control panel, etc.It's also useful for a separate spot view of the plane (not recommended unless you have a powerful vid card), ActiveSky weather report, flight plans, etc. I also use a second PC off to the side for approach plates, maps, manuals, etc.Have had a multi-monitor setup going on 6 years now, and can't imagine going back to a single, unless it has a screen the size of Wyoming.CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest gmark

I use mine for approach plates, terminal charts, GPS, radio stack, etc. It also is very useful for step-by-step tutorials. I will be trying out the demo for the EFB from FS Widgets as well. Looks interesting.Graham

Guest Mesa

Thanks for the suggestions. I wonder how the FSWidgets EFB differs to the Simflyer's version. I also like the look of Reality XP's Sandel ST3400 although I wouldn't want to add it to any panel, just have it on the second screen. I too would find it hard to go back to a single monitor now - three or four would be even better!

Guest Mesa

I chose RealityXP's Sandel 3400 - moving map, terrain warning and TCAS - simply brilliant and I can detect no FPS impact. Very pleased!

Hi:I have my second monitor above the main one and tilted with the cockpit overhead panel on it. At nite it looks really cool and is functional.Regardsrick

Guest macman4

You can move FSNav, in the windowed mode, over to the other monitor. Click the button, I have circled, in the screen shot. This puts FSNav in undocked mode. Then you can drag it over to the other monitor and you have your moving map. good Luck, Bob

Guest kickin_chicken

I've had multi monitor for a few years now. I have slightly different setups for different aircraft, but basically I used one monitor for the 2d cockpit and 'undock' the front outside view onto the other monitor. This way I have my 2d cockpit and panel on one screen and a nice front windshield view full screen on the other.

Guest abulaafia

usually Flightsim Commander and Navigraph charts on the second monitor, but also for watching movies and surfing the net during longhauls==Marten:Weber==P-D920 3.3MHz 2GB RAM WinXP ATI X1900+1024MB 2xSATA250 2xVIEWSONIC 19"author of the bloody beginner's guide to realistic flight simulation: http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?FileName=bbgrfs.zip