Sign in to follow this  
Guest Adrian Wainer

FS2004 Piper Cub

Guest Douglas K

A real J-3 is docile compared to the bizarre FS9 version. You have to pay attention and wiggle your toes however, and as the old saying goes:

Guest pclark36

Wow, I've never had much of a problem with the default J-3. I'm not a big fan of it's VC, but not much for ground handling problems or landing. Never flown a real J-3 though either for comparison.

Guest Mr Chips

>>The FS9 default J3 is extremely accurate in most every way.As an owner, I would say that is as far from my experience as I can imagine. The real aircraft are docile, well mannered and unsurprising in just about every aspect of their design. Even the chopped variants, which are known for being relatively finicky after touch down, are extremely benign. The FS version is totally and completely unrepresentative.Edit: Should have read the thread before posting. Seems there are already half a dozen posts saying the same thing.

Guest Albatross7107

Ok... it's not just me :)I think the cub is a joy to fly, especially in the VC, but landing and taking off... fahgetaboutit...I was thinking - "I thought this was supposed to be such a good plane, and everyone was flying them in the 50's... can't have been like THIS..."I'm going to check out these alternate dynamics.BTW I can get in the air, and land, but I have to be REALLY careful and it's is a MESSY operation. landings usually ending with a sudden SHARP turn into the crosswind -sideways takeoffs... real Lunch Launchers...

Guest fullstoplanding

I have flown the FS9 j3 Cub and it does not fly like the real one. The real one flies much easier. In addition to a CH yoke, I have the CH pedals, but I don't use them with the Cub because they over control the rudder function to the extreme. I have flown most of the small single-engine aircraft in FS9 and this is what I do. Rather than fight this rudder thing, I fly them like an Aerocoupe. That airplane had no rudder pedals. The rudders (there were two) were tied in with the ailerons and you flew it much like you drive a car. The set up in FS9 is this: Settings > Realism > Flight Controls, click on "Autorudder". The tipping-over on the wing tip while taxiiing is called a ground loop.http://www.bush-planes.com/flying-tips.htmlScroll down to "What is a ground loop and why do tail draggers do it?Roger

Guest fullstoplanding

Misspelling in my previous post. Should be Ercoupe, not Aerocoupe. :-(

Guest Albatross7107

I usually auto rudder too, since I have no pedals, but I do know how to use them and sometimes do with my J-Stick (it rotates). I had big troubles either way. The Rudder did seem to overcontrol like MAD.My biggest thing was the turn into the wind when slowing to a stop after landing. Even on AutoRudder you get full rudder control when on the ground (and even a tiny bit in flight) and with that over effective rudder I'd ground loop 2 out of 3 times. Other times I'd just end up sideways on the strip...BTW: In FS9 you don't just tip over, you catapult into air!!

In the cub I have flown there is a quote written on a small plaque on the side wall."The Cub is one of the safest airplanes in the sky. It can just barely kill you."So true as well. It is one of the most well-mannered aeroplanes flying but still unforgiving of ham-fisted antics, fly it properly though and it's a joy.Our club's Cub nearly killed me on the ground mind you. It was on the ramp, not yet tied down, and I was just behind the wing talking to the pilot. A visiting pilot/genius in a C152 decided to do his runup with his tail pointed straight at the Cub. I turned around in time to see the Cub pivoting rather abruptly and the tail swinging around to bat me to the far boundary of the airfield, man did I have to think fast there!

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest Albatross7107

Wow! Not good... Well, actually real good, you saw it in time :)I tried one of the "improved" cubs, I like it better - but it's still a bit twitchy.I also left "download winds aloft" on but also check "No Turbulence"I used to have winds aloft 'off' and turbulence 'on'. Looks like I simply can't deal with both :(On the other hand, if FS9 is being accurate there is NO such thing as a smooth flight ever, the Cub, Skyhawk, and (my fav) Beech 18 were all like riding a mechanical bull! Maybe that's the way it is IRL - seems like a real Lunch Launcher to me! :((BTW this was all with "Real World Weather Updated Every 15 mins", the only static weather I use really is Winter Wonderland, cause it's purdy :)