Sign in to follow this  
Guest BrianFletcher

New system stuttering

Guest gabbadude

Try this: It fixed my stuttering problems after buying a dual core.SOURCE: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=983781NOTE: This Hotfix is only for Windows XP w/SP2 per the documentation at the link belowHere is the official Microsoft link to v.4 of the Hotfix.http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...D8-34FB8A0FCE3BIf you need to disable the hotfix, edit the registry as noted here (specifically note #7 which details how to deactivate/activate the hotfix):http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=896256Originally Posted by Microsoft.com1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.2. Right-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession Manager, point to New, and then click Key.3. Type Throttle for the new key name.4. Right-click Throttle, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.5. Type PerfEnablePackageIdle for the value name.6. Right-click PerfEnablePackageIdle, and then click Modify.7. In the Value data box, type 0. Make sure that Hexadecimal is selected in the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, and then click OK.Note You can type 1 in the Value data box to enable the new performance state policy behavior.8. Quit Registry Editor.Specifics as to what is being done from the power management side of things can be read at the link above. These are just the changes that need to be made in the registry. Also note that in the DWORD value box, you enter a "0" to disable the power state created by the hotfix and enter a "1" to enable it. For the purposes of fixing the games, enter a "1".

Hi Jure, Glad you are happy with the new box :) You can't beat it for the $$$ ;)I found that with the C2D locking the CPU affinity has a HUGE affect on performance with FS9. While I don't see a large difference in FPS locking the affinity to a single CPU removes all stutters. I mean I can even fly at ImagineSim KEWR with 65% AI and all sliders right and still have it perfectly smooth in the PSS 757. Look at locking your CPU affinity and also check your AI. What AI are you using? All AI textures should be DXT-1 or they will cause HORRIBLE stuttering.Just a couple of things to look at. BTW, I run Dual 8800 GTX also but no SLI and I use 3 monitors. What 8800 GTX drivers are you using. Some of the 8800 drivers really blow and who knows if SLI is even working with these drivers...-PPrimary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E6600 @3.2 gigsAsus P5N32SLI-Plus2 gigs Corsair XMS PC6400 4 4 4 12 @810Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest AIKON

i guys, i have the same problem.I have a new pc with that configuration as follow:Windows XP (SP2)Core 2 DUO E66003 GB RAMHDD 300 GBCard Video: GeForce 8800GTSMonitor: Asus 21"Motherboard: Asus P5I have FS with UPDATE 9.1My Traffic 2006 (FULL traffic (100percent))FS GLOBAL 2005Flight EnvirommentNight EnvirommentUltimate Terrain EuropeFrankfurt Main (EDDF) (aerosoft)FlyTampa airport (KBOS)Enviromment BostActive Sky 6Resolution in FS is 1680x1050 32BitsWilco AirbusWilco Pilot in CommandLevel D A340-600 Just FlightIn KBOS (With Scenary Fly Tampa) when i walk the taxi i can

There will always be stuttering. It is an in inherent problem with FS9, not so much with FSX. If you've done *all* of the suggestions and performance tweaks, it is very likely you've done everything you can.

Guest BrianFletcher

While I understand that completely eliminating any and all stutters entirely may be a tall order, my problem seems a little more complex than just saying that they will always be there. For starters, they have never been there before, and secondly, it is more than just typical stutters, but more like the sim is actually freezing for a second or two. I have decided to do a destructive system recovery and start from scratch.

Brian, Did you convert your AI to DXT-1 or even better remove your traffic.bgl files and see if that removes the stutters. I have a pretty close setup to yours, not exactly but similar and I had stuttering because my AI weren't DXT-1. And once you convert your AI you can have virtually stutter free FS9 performance. Lock your affinities for ASV and programs like that to a separate Core from FS. Wait until you see the difference...-PGood luck,-PaulPrimary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E6600 @3.2 gigsAsus P5N32SLI-Plus2 gigs Corsair XMS PC6400 4 4 4 12 @810Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I do have a question regarding DXT1 textures. What is the best way to determine if the textures are DXT1 format already? I have tried properties and it doesn't specify. It is obvious when they are 32bit because you can see the thumbnail of each texture, but if the thumbnail is not able to be previewed, it leaves this in question. I wanted to convert all of my AI to DXT1 since I have some performance issues as well. Thanks for your input :)

Not necessarily so! I'm running FS9 on Triple monitors with TRIPLE VIEWs- LFwd,Fwd,RFwd & all popups displayed. This on an ancient AMD 1.8 GHz processor with a dual head GeForceFX5200 card & a similar PCI card. Smooth as silk, rock steady, comfortable frame rates & NO STUTTERS ! Favourite plane? - DreamFleet Baron 58 -PMDG 747 a close second along with ATR 72 and Fokker 100 . Secret was so simple: in Display/settings -retard the Hardware Accel slider two notches to the left for the secondary/outer monitors. Leave main monitor slider at full right. The effect is truly magical! No TH2GO, No multi processors. A 180

Hi Brian, I hope you got your system fixed. It's a Long shot but i had the exact same problem that was so bad i gave up FS9 for about 5 months and i've been simming since the C64 day's.. i changed my procceser deleted fs9 and started again, reinstalled windows about five times changed the motherboard bought a top of the range graphics card.. even bought a new power supply thats how frustrated i was getting.. in the end it turned out to be one of my 3gig sticks was messed up! I only found out by chance when i took one out for a friend to use. Anyway My Computer runs like silk now. I thought it was a FS9 Problem as other games would run ok but nothing realy pushes your machine to the max like these Heavily Modded Simulators. Robert Prest EGLL

Rob Prest

Guest KemoF15

BobAs an aside, my Text_Max_Load=512...system dependent as you say, but what does the lower value give you? You recommended 100 on Texture Bandwidth and 10 for Load.And for Brian...sorry to hear...I had similar issues on similar computers with exact FS9.cfg and software loadout, yet one had no stutters, and the other did...the only difference was the Hard Drive (seemed like it was smoking a Lucky every 4-5 secs)...but I'd exhaust the software possibilities first. So many rabbit holes you can go down on this issue.How's that 51" plasma working for you? Were you running your older rig on that baby? If not, could it be the HDTV Plasma itself?Rake

Guest baksteen33

Hi Jeff, the easiest way probably is to use Windows Explorer and view them using 'Details'. One of the columns is 'Size'. Or searching by texture sizes? 1024x DXT1 textures usually are ~340kB, 1024x DXT3 = 1.33MB, 32-bit 1024x = >4MB On a general note, before hacking the registry etc, there might be an easier manner? I'ld say: Consider turning off all energy saving features (OS power scheme 'Always On') plus what's necessary in the bios (Cool 'n Quiet i.e.). Pls note I've never switched a running system like this, so please only try it if your data is backed-up and safe. ;-) FileMon logs should be taken with a grain of carefulness. Many 'Not Founds' are regular cycles and don't have an impact on perf. Hope this adds to thoughts, kind regards Jaap