Sign in to follow this  
Guest nigel28

Question about XP Indexing Service

Guest nigel28

I read that this service should be off but when I look at the services in msconfig, it is checked as running but the status shows "stopped"does this mean that it is still running in the background or does it only show stopped when it is not "indexing"??

>I read that this service should be off but when I look at the>services in msconfig, it is checked as running but the status>shows "stopped">>does this mean that it is still running in the background or>does it only show stopped when it is not "indexing"??I have that service disabled as well, and in my case it is checked but "stopped" in msconfig, as well. So, I think it's normal.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Guest nigel28

I thought that if the box was checked then it is enabled? If it is enabled and stopped, does it still cause problems with stutters in FS?

I do not allow indexing either.Your best way to do this is via your 'computer' directory (explorer). Right click on your hard drive icon (or partition, as the case may be), and somewhere within 'options' (or similar...I'm at work right now, working on Macs ;) ), you will find a box to 'un-check' indexing. You system will go through a process to 'un-index' all the files/folders within that drive. So, it is more than simply 'turning it off' via a 'switch'.

Guest nigel28

I think that my indexing is on ( I am at work right now so I cannot verify) but I know the box is checked and even though the process says "stopped" I think that it turns itself on while I am in the because with my system my frames are pegged at 30 FPS (my locked value)and for no reason whatsoever my frames drop to 22-20 fora few seconds back up to 29. I can understand if I am flying, taxiing, or panning, but when I am just sitting on the ramp it doesnt make sense.

>I think that my indexing is on ( I am at work right now so I>cannot verify) but I know the box is checked and even though>the process says "stopped" I think that it turns itself on>while I am in the because with my system my frames are pegged>at 30 FPS (my locked value)and for no reason whatsoever my>frames drop to 22-20 fora few seconds back up to 29. I can>understand if I am flying, taxiing, or panning, but when I am>just sitting on the ramp it doesnt make sense. To be 100% sure indexing is disabled:1) Start->Run->Services.msclook for the indexing service, then right click on it, "properties", and choose "Disabled" as "Startup type".2) Open my resources, right click on each of your hard drives, "properties", "general" tab, then uncheck "Allow indexing service..."Depending on the size of the hard drive and the number of files in it, it may take several minutes.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Guest nigel28

cool, thanks for the info guys.