Sign in to follow this  
jerryuscg

Which B-747 to buy ?

After 3 years with FS2004 I'm ready to buy a top of the line B-747. I'd heard there are 3 or 4 "best" ones out there. Which is the best "eye candy, animation etc" in your opinion? Thanks jerrycwo4please include the links if possible, thanks

Yup the PMDG bird is "as real as it gets". She truley is "the queen of the flight simulator sky". The F version add on is even better ;)I must admit though. I do love the old ready for pushback 747-200 and justflight has a deal on her.But if I could only have one I would take the PMDG.

Guest lflinares

PMDG! I absolutely love it!LuisKMIA

There are two heavyweight 747 sims, the RFP 747 and the PMDG 747.The RFP product models the -200 with the Pratt & Whitney JT9D engines. It's a little long in the tooth now, but it still a good simulation. If you want to spend a little extra you can purchase the VIP addon which gives you access to updates to the panel that are "work in progress". The VIP panel has a Litton INS that has limited functionality, but if you want you can add the freeware Delco Carousel-IV INS. There are plenty of repaints for the RFP model, although the model itself isn't up to the latest standards we have become used to, especially the VC.The PMDG product models the -400 with General Electric CF6 engines. For your money you get a very detailed simulation of the aircraft, and a very nice visual model and VC. If you want to spend even more money you can purchase the 747-400F addon, which adds the freighter models. It will also update all your existing -400s with new EICAS displays that feature authentic Rolls Royce and Pratt & Whitney engine displays, very important for the purists ;)If you have to choose one, I'd go for the PMDG 747. It's a newer product and features all the bells and whistles we have come to expect, whereas the RFP product is really showing its age now. However, if you have an aversion to EFIS displays and FMS, then the RFP 747 is the way to go.

Do a search for IFLY here on the avsim library.This is a freeware B747 made by some talented programmers with a fully working 747 panel (working overhead, fmc, VC ...)Hope this helpsRon

The PMDG (glass cockpit -400) and the RFP (steam gauge -200) are both great add-ons. So get both!The RFP is still sold on CD by Justflight.CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest Capt Speirs

PMDG, love mine.Capt. Speirs

the VIP edition is not available anywhere

Guest ha5mvo

Hmm, albeit both are a 747, they are completely different sims!, both are excellent yet the 200 has much more in common with, say, a 727 (or a 400 with a 777 or a 767).Another thing to keep in mind is, that (if I'm mistaken surely someone will correct me) the RFP 200 is no longer supported by its developer and there are still question marks hanging over its next version - the so-called "VIP edition"

Jerry,As some colleagues wrote before, both RFP 742 and PMDG 744 are excellent classic products. I do own both and so recommend both.Indicating a better one would be rather hard as they represent quite different aircraft from different decades. If you're more for classics, steam gauges, clock hands and clicking sequences you will have more fun with RFP. It is a good machine and I find the model, criticised by some, to be really nice. However, if you love the modern art of flying, programming FMC and looking at CRT/LCD screens, go for PMDG.Objectively, however, RFP is an older product and it feels. I fly it seldom now since I have been using my TrackIR4 for some time. And the VC is RFP's weakest point. Dated, quite simple and ugly. We would desperately need a new version, but as someone suugested above, it looks like it's RIP now.If you are going to buy JUST ONE of them, I would choose PMDG unless you really are for classics with analogue (2D) panels. Then the RFP is for you.Tell us what your choice is.Best regards,Rafal

SLAM....... DUNKThe PMDG it is. Thanks to all who spent the time and effort to reply. I do have the PMDG B-737 but have been flying the newer 767 now. Right now my FAVORITE aircraft to fly is Roy Chaffins's B-25. How sweet it is. It can be found at http://www.roychaffin.co.uk/ Thanks again. jerrycwo4

Enjoy your purchase! And thinking about all of us "Queen" captains, I kind of had a light bulb go off in my head.Wouldnt it be fun for us all to take the PMDG's out for an online flight together? I can see it now... 10 or 15 747's holding short on the vatsim servers during rush hour. :)