Sign in to follow this  
David Vega

Firefox download Issue

Guest pred02

I read through threads about Firefox and downloading. Basically, when I try to download the file, instead of popping up the download manager (where subsequently it would ask me where to download) it would open up the file. This does not happen in IE.And this happens only about 50% of the time...I tried to locate a thread looking for a resolution to this problem, but I cannot find one.I did go to Tools->Options->Downloads->Actions, and I see nothing associated with the .ZIP extension (I erased it all).This problem persisted for awhile now, I would like to get it fixed as I use Firefox as my primary browser, and the AVSIM.net search extension is a great tool.Thanks,George

Hello,Firefox is the only one I use - no IE. I have been downloading with it for a few years. When I download and it asks for a location it also has selection buttons for OPEN or SAVE. If I don't click the SAVE button it will open the download. Hope that helps.Ron Sagel

The download manager in Firefox usually gives two options when you download a file:i) "Save this file to..."ii) "Open this file with..."It also has a little checkbox "Do this every time I download a file of this type"You've probably selected (ii) and the checkbox option for zip files....Go to Tools-Options-Downloads in Firefox and you can change the download actions for Firefox.Hope this helps!

Guest pred02

These are the options I have currently set:Download folder: "Ask me where to save every file" ->checked offDownload Manager: "Show download manager when beings, closed download manager when done" - both checked offDownload actions - no action for the .zip file format.Am I missing something? This happens for about 50% of the time, but has been happening for a couple of years now.To be specific I get something like gibberish when downloading a file, let's say "ftp://library.avsim.net/civil_flight/msfs/fs2004/ai_flight_plans/maxjet_spring07.zip"Thanks,George

I also have this problem. I've checked the download options and I can't find anything related to .zip files. The thing is that it has been working OK until a couple of days ago. I haven't changed any browser configurations. Help is appreciated.Dave Vega

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Same here and in fact I am having slow d/l speeds to almost crawling speed. I have tried with and without firewall and no joy. Almost 1KB/sec speed...Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Has there been a change to the library system recently pushing the download differently now? Dave Vega

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Nope. Hasn't changed in years. Folks, when an issue "suddenly" crops up after you have successfully used the library in the recent past, you need to consider that something has changed on YOUR system. Most likely a security update from MS, a browser update from whom ever, or a firewall change that was pushed to your system. If your ability to download is removed "over night", it is not AVSIM that has changed anything. It is your system that has changed. Were we to change something, we would most likely give the community weeks worth of notice BEFORE we implemented the change.What I find interesting is that most will deny anything has changed on their system, and insist that we have changed something on our side of things, only to realize later that in fact, yes... MS did do a security update, IE was updated, whatever. Please folks... take a look at your systems!!!