Sign in to follow this  

PSS 757, a sleeper hit?

I purchased the PSS 757 a while ago, I have a "thing" for 757s, but never really had the chance to fly her. I also purchased an un-named 757 but was extremely disappointed, typical... Anyway, I just reinstalled the latest version, and am in the middle of a UPS flight KONT-KSJC, and WOW. What a beautiful airplane. heavy on the frames in the VC, but amazingly detailed, great model, good amount of repaints (could have more though, not too popular with the great avsim repainters unfortunately), solid systems and FMC, overall a great package! But not much talk about her, sorry to hear that.

and I almost forgot... working weather radar in the ND! saweeeeeeet!

I may be wrong, but I think the reason for lack of repaints has been PSS's long stance on selling repaint packages and restricting the repaint of their aircraft. Just the way they do business, I like the 777 I bought from them, but have only purchased two repaints for it, so it doesn't make it out of the hangar that often. The prices may come down for some of the FS2004 stuff once FSX takes off a little more. Cheers,Scott

you dont have to purchase repaints separately from them for the 757

I didn't know that, maybe I will take another look at her,Thanks,Scott

I can never quite make my mind up about PSS. Back in the days of FS2000 and early FS2002 they were among the best. I can remember their original 777 was the first aircraft I had that had an FMS. Remember their first 747-400? What a great aircraft that was, and the 777V2, and of course their A320 was the only half decent one in town for what, 5 or 6 years?Unfortunately I think they started going downhill after the Dash 8. The A330/A340 didn't seem to offer anything new in terms of features over the A320 that was already getting old, and it took some reworked flight models by a member of this forum to actually make them enjoyable to fly! The Concorde was ok, but totally surpassed in every way by the Altitude/SST Sim package. The 777 was a debacle, does anyone remember the original flight model that came with it? Now the 757 release was pretty shambolic too and left a bad taste in a lot of customer's mouths, especially the ones who had pre-ordered in good faith and were given an unfinished aircraft that could be best described as a late beta. How long did it take for them to make the load editor and fuel planner available? Six plus months? Customers were given a long litany of excuses for the delays. Now I'm not saying PSS were lying or trying to fob customers off, but at times it seemed as though PSS couldn't organise a prayer in a mosque.I remember PSS hired Rob Young to fix the 777 flight model, and I believe he did the 757 too, and they both fly very nicely now! Likewise, the panels and systems aren't in the top flight of commercial packages but they are good enough to satisfy all but the most demanding simmer. The models let PSS down badly, and have done ever since the A330/A340 release. The quality of PSS' visual models is now routinely surpassed by freeware releases. The 757 engines just don't look right to me, they look far too big in relation to the rest of the aircraft. With the 757 release they stopped the extremely unpopular system of charging for repaints. Maybe someone at PSS realised it was a bit cheeky asking us to pay for all those repaints of the A330/A340/777 when better freeware models were available.Bottom line is PSS' products aren't bad by any means, and the 757 is their best one yet and it's going to be the only half decent 757 in town if you only fly FS9. The problem is PSS *still* can't get a release right, and invariably seem to end up with a total mess and a lot of irate customers after every release. Every time they do this their ruputation takes a hammering, and they lose hitherto loyal customers. The other problem is as long as they continue to market their products with the "Professional" tag, they are going to get compared to PMDG and Level D and end up living in their shadow.All a shame really, because their aircraft really aren't too bad... as long as you are prepared to put up with the inevitable unifinished release and months of waiting for the patches!Speaking as a long-time customer of PSS, someone who has owned every one of their products since the original 777 for FS2000 (and one who pre-ordered both the 777 and 757) I can only say I will be very wary of handing over my money for new PSS aircraft in the future.

Hi Al!I agrett, the PSS is awsome, it's just a fps killer. As for the "un-named" I think we all know which one your talking about. Personally, I love the un named's detail, and I find that its performance on my system is pretty sweet. I just think it was a joke to release the aircraft un-complete. To buy all the packages to make it complete, it would probably be somewhere around 120usd, correct? Just a guess, probably less. The PSS is a good little toy. I just wish its performance was better. As for the other one, I wish they would learn to make a complete aircraft. They obviously have some ammount of tallent.

I agree - in too many ways PSS has remained at that which was top end years ago, and some rather iffy cust service issues for a while now. I still think PSS will always give you what's advertised, but the how and when leaves a lot to be desired.Still enjoy the 777 having modified many aspects, but overall PSS is not quite my thing any more - too many higher quality choices which better suit my tastes.regards,Markhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/a320/custbanner2.jpgPC Power Silencer 470/3.2HT/2048mb/ATI X1950pro/SB Audigy

Regards,

Mark

Noone has mentioned PSS used POSKy's freeware FDE for the payware PSS 757.Great developer... NOT!!!!! :-roll

It has been proved ...and admitted by PSS ...though we POSKY are still waiting for our remittance.

Wow, I missed this completely, looks like it happened when I was at sea. I just did some reading on the POSKY and PSS forums, and it is indeed very true!What's happened to PSS? They used to be the best in the business! Now it seems every release they come up with ends up in a shower of brown stuff!

Hello,Well, their T777 was so bad I received a chargeback on my credit card. PSS is now one of the companies I will no longer do business with, for at least one of the reasons listed below in my sig.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

On the PSS site there is a download to make the VC files DXT3 and that makes using the VC alot better. I enjoy the 757 it complements the other Aircraft in my hanger nicely.

wow, I never knew they used the FDE from posky, thats awful. Your 757 was awesome, I missed a detailed VC but still enjoyed flying it. Its too bad they did that to you guys