Sign in to follow this  
Guest ShaneRay

My little, rather unimportant, "Wow".

Guest ShaneRay

Hey, Gang :)I've been a way for quite sometime. Nice to see Avsim still going strong :)I wanted to share, but my girlfriend doesn't "Get it" (still love 'er though--she made it clear that the choice was not mine--So I'm posting here...Well, I've been using FS since the C64 days (off an on), and have always appreciated it. However, I've NEVER had the type of system that would run it the way I wished to run the sim.So, after getting FS9 to run "OK", I still lost interest after a few months, came back for a few weeks only to lose interest again--all because I wanted it to run the way I had seen others fly. I wasn't about to by a new PC just for that.Well, shortly before Christmas 06, I bought a new laptop from Dell. i've been happily using it for day to day things since. Well, this week and last I've been on vacation and decided to dig out FS9 for the heck of if...LOL...NOW this thing runs the way I always wished it would...surprised the heck right outta me. So, in the last few days I've used my poor credit card for: F1 PC-12, GE Pro, Flight Environment, Eaglesoft's SR22, and FSG Canadian Mesh (I think that's it..whew). They all run great and smooth with everything maxed in FS9. Awesome.This ain't a top-of-the-line laptop either: Core Duo at 1.6, 1gb of ram, ATI X1400 (have XP and Vista on seperate partitions....xp is just for fs at the momment). But, back when FS9 was new, I guess this woulda been pretty good.Anyway, just wanted to share....now, I gotta make up for some serious lost time..PS...for those who managed to read this far, do you know of any Landclass products for the whole of Canada?Thanks,Shane.

Ultimate Terrain Canada should work great for you :-)

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!

Guest Ken_Verga

Waiting for that day too.

Guest ShaneRay

I get 20FPS steady in most places(locked at 20...unlimited I'll see it pop up to 40-50)...lowest I've come across so far is 16-17--and that's flying the sr22 (but still smooth). I do have XP and MS tweaked (ie: all the old tweaks with the exception of the ones that no longer made sense).But, everything is smooth (to my eyes)...a little performance drop with SR22, but nothing very noticable. I should say, everything is maxed in the scenery tab, in the weather tab the sight distance and cloud distance are reasonable (found this didn't make much of a difference anyway)all other sliders in this tab maxed, Aircraft maxed, and harware tab MIP is at 4 and lights at 6 (think they were defaults), bilinear--everything else maxed.Bottom line, it all runs great :)Oh, as for UT...I beat ya to it ;) ...put that in after dinner..LOL.

Hello,this sounds very interesting, especially after reading a few posts now that FS9 seems to run quite fluently on those Intel Core 2 Duo processors.Since I am a student and have to do presentation and work at university, I thought of purchasing one of those IBM/Lenovo laptops with an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz processor and an ATI Radeon X1400 graphics card. But flying FS9 more often than I actually should, I wasn't sure if a Laptop could handle it?I would use my 'old' LCD screen for flying and working at home, it should be possible to connect it to a laptop, shouldn't it?It would be great to get some input from you guys, if this is the right way to go?best regards,Christian