Sign in to follow this  
razorseal

This makes me want to cry

PERFECT flight from KLGA to KMIA and during my descent, I alt-tabbed and unmounted something from my virtual drive and POOF! there goes FS9 I was so close to landing too, fspassengers flight and everythingwhen that stuff happens I just want to smash my computer lol... I'll try to renact the flight from doing a KMCO to KMIA I guess :(it really sucks when a beautiful flight is ruined by the computer

Two days ago on a Vatsim flight I was descending into KJFK and the same thing happened to me.I was just watching the flight when it happened. I was not typing or doing anything. So, your unloading something had (probably) nothing to do with it going "poof".MSFS9, just POOF, of the monitor. I was immediately back to my desktop, all icons working, all the stuff that supports msfs (running apps) was still running. It was just like MSFS9 had never been loaded.No error messages, Windows Task Manager ok execpt MSFS9 was missing. It was like there was no problem with my pc. It did not "lock up".This flight was not even using ActiveSky.I always thought when a program had a problem Windows would give the message "this program had a problem and must be shut down". But, I guess some things get by somehow.I checked the Event Log and had two "red" icons (errors) but no description as to what caused the problem.Sure would be nice to know what things can cause an application to just disappear without an error message from MS Windows!???**************************************>PERFECT flight from KLGA to KMIA and during my descent, I>alt-tabbed and unmounted something from my virtual drive and>POOF! there goes FS9 >>I was so close to landing too, fspassengers flight and>everything>>when that stuff happens I just want to smash my computer>lol... I'll try to renact the flight from doing a KMCO to KMIA>I guess :(>>it really sucks when a beautiful flight is ruined by the>computer

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

AutoSave will not work with Level-D 763 because it only saves the "flight". It does not save the FMC data and you need that to pick up where you left off. So, "manually" saving the flight in MSFS9 is the only way to do it with Level-D.

Best Regards,

It is well known that corrupt or missing textures in FS will cause FS to close out to the desktop with no warning no error no nothing... Any time I have EVER had a straight CTD with no error I immediately copy over all my default textures and then re-run my GE setup. I have never had an instance where doing what I just mentioned did not fix the issue... The first thing I do when I install FS is to make a copy and backup of all my default textures so I can repeatedly restore them if necessary. I have also recently reverted to the process of "de-bloating" my fs install prior to a flight. I used to fly with every single add-on scenery active at all times and my memory useage numbers were very high. Now I use FSM and disable EVERY single add-on airport and scenery other than the ones being used for that particular flight. Why do I need scenery for Israel or Seattle or China being loaded if I am flying KEWR-EGLL? It only takes a few seconds to make the changes but it drastically reduces the amount of work/searching that FS does and also reduces your troubleshooting options if something does go wrong... I have 90 layers in my scenery.cfg but all my add-on layers are disabled and I will usually only have 2-3 add-ons active at any given time on top of my default scenery and UT/GE. This streamlined FS usage model has really made drastic impacts on my FS performance and more important stability...Just my .02-PaulPrimary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E6600 @3.2 gigsAsus P5N32SLI-Plus2 gigs Corsair XMS PC6400 4 4 4 12 @810Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

As long as I have been using MSFS9 (years) and Level-D 763 I have never messed with textures ... I do not know what they do or how to reload them.The next day I flew the same flight (still no ActiveSky running) and it was perfect. If I had a bad texture(s) I would assume it should cause another CTD without error messages.How do I copy over default textures? Help here would be appreciated.How long do you have to wait before textures ultimately become corrupt? What corrupts them in the first place?What is [>I have also recently reverted to the process of "de-bloating" my fs install prior to a flight.]I may have to do this also?I reboot hte pc then run "Smart Close" to shut down all programs prior to starting MSFS to free up more memory .. I have 2Gb.How do you do this?[Now I use FSM and disable EVERY single add-on airport and scenery other than the ones being used for that particular flight.]I thought MSFS only loaded new scenery "if" you were flying into it. Like, China would not ever be loaded if you were flying around New York for example??>It is well known that corrupt or missing textures in FS will>cause FS to close out to the desktop with no warning no error>no nothing... Any time I have EVER had a straight CTD with no>error I immediately copy over all my default textures and then>re-run my GE setup. I have never had an instance where doing>what I just mentioned did not fix the issue... >The first thing I do when I install FS is to make a copy and>backup of all my default textures so I can repeatedly restore>them if necessary.> >I have also recently reverted to the process of "de-bloating">my fs install prior to a flight. I used to fly with every>single add-on scenery active at all times and my memory useage>numbers were very high. Now I use FSM and disable EVERY>single add-on airport and scenery other than the ones being>used for that particular flight. Why do I need scenery for>Israel or Seattle or China being loaded if I am flying>KEWR-EGLL? It only takes a few seconds to make the changes>but it drastically reduces the amount of work/searching that>FS does and also reduces your troubleshooting options if>something does go wrong... I have 90 layers in my scenery.cfg>but all my add-on layers are disabled and I will usually only>have 2-3 add-ons active at any given time on top of my default>scenery and UT/GE. This streamlined FS usage model has really>made drastic impacts on my FS performance and more important>stability...>Just my .02>-Paul>>Primary Rig>Liquid Cooled>Intel C2D E6600 @3.2 gigs>Asus P5N32SLI-Plus>2 gigs Corsair XMS PC6400 4 4 4 12 @810>Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs>24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAF>Dual 19 inch LCD's>Raid-0+1>PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLI>http://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.html>>Backup Rig>AMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.7>2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2>XFX 7900 GTX >Raid-0>psolk.jpg

Best Regards,

I also thought if MSFS did not have the "correct" scenery it would then use "default" scenery. I never knew it would stop the flight though! if, something was corrupt or missing.

Best Regards,

Guest airbus2

>it really sucks when a beautiful flight is ruined by the computerEven worse when it was a long flight. EGLL to KJFK. Canadian coast in sight, wonderfull weather, this was going to be a great landing....then "poof"OhwellDave

Windows should always be able to supply error information on what caused a problem ... DLL tried to do something .. memory address / this program tried to access ... whatever!The event log should not just show a "red" error icon and leave you guessing what program caused the application to shut down.MS could fix this! They should always be able to supply information on which module or procedure "caused" the error.

Best Regards,

There is something common to all this ... we need to find out the "why" on this forum .... now, if possible.I read a VATSIM post the other day with the same problem.I had it.You had it.Others have had it.MSFS9 "has it" and it really need to be addressed. The why no error log on what routing, called by this program, DLL whatever to give us a starting point to work from to fix it.The real problem is, there is no way to find out what "caused" it to happen.MS should be able to give an error message in plain english (any language) what routine/program could not complete its task.And, it is not e.g. static electricity! Even then, MS should be able to indicate e.g. "power error" or whatever.

Best Regards,

That is what Filemon attempts to do for you. I am going to roll your other questions about de-bloating into the other post I have started to try and condense things...I have seen 250 thousand dollar software packages that you could not troubleshoot errors via the logging. I wouldn't expect MS put too much time into FS9 logging and you really need to level set your expectations. I am guessing if you reverted back to default FS9 you would have no issues so something WE add to FS9 is the issue, not the app itself...-PaulAlso hoping to get any help from MS now that FSX is out is a pipe dream. There support answer will be upgrade :)Primary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E6600 @3.2 gigsAsus P5N32SLI-Plus2 gigs Corsair XMS PC6400 4 4 4 12 @810Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Guest jgreth123

Back when the PMDG 747 was new, I did KLAX -> YSSY. On 2nm final, CTD. :(Talk about frustrating. ;) 16.5 hours and didn't get to land!

>As long as I have been using MSFS9 (years) and Level-D 763 I>have never messed with textures ... I do not know what they do>or how to reload them.Textures display the visual information your scenery files call for.>>The next day I flew the same flight (still no ActiveSky>running) and it was perfect. If I had a bad texture(s) I would>assume it should cause another CTD without error messages.---->Quite possible, like all other Windows apps FS is subject to Flukes.>>How do I copy over default textures? Help here would be>appreciated.----->I have a copy of my default FS9 install on my HD that I backed up prior to adding any add-ons. I use that but you can restore them from a CD >>How long do you have to wait before textures ultimately become>corrupt? What corrupts them in the first place?----->A lot of things, repeated access, FS closing while they are being loaded etc... It can happen at any time same way you can lose a word .doc at anytime>What is [>I have also recently reverted to the process of>"de-bloating" my fs install prior to a flight.]>>I may have to do this also?----->Your call>I reboot hte pc then run "Smart Close" to shut down all>programs prior to starting MSFS to free up more memory .. I>have 2Gb.----->More than enough physical>How do you do this?>[Now I use FSM and disable EVERY single add-on airport and>scenery other than the ones being used for that particular>flight.]>>I thought MSFS only loaded new scenery "if" you were flying>into it. Like, China would not ever be loaded if you were>flying around New York for example??----->Not so although that would make sense. FS will randomly reload its entire scenery DB and add-on scenery DB during your flights. You can watch it happen with Filemon. Also if an add-on scenery is not coded correctly it could be referred to as global rather than local and get loaded everytime your scenery reloads which is more than you think...-Paul>>>>Primary Rig>>Liquid Cooled>>Intel C2D E6600 @3.2 gigs>>Asus P5N32SLI-Plus>>2 gigs Corsair XMS PC6400 4 4 4 12 @810>>Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs>>24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAF>>Dual 19 inch LCD's>>Raid-0+1>>PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLI>>http://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.html>>>>Backup Rig>>AMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.7>>2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2>>XFX 7900 GTX >>Raid-0>>psolk.jpg>Primary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E6600 @3.2 gigsAsus P5N32SLI-Plus2 gigs Corsair XMS PC6400 4 4 4 12 @810Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

I think Windows should be able to supply an error message and log, in plain english, what DLL etc. caused a problem.Not for MSFS9, but for any program that is running.This is MS Windows and a MS program (FS9 we are currently talking about) and MS should properly report any errors encountered.Why should we haveto run FileMon or anything else to determine where a problem is? That is sad!You should not have to be a programmer to "read" an error message from MS Windows and the error message should "point" to the module that caused the problem (FSUIPC, Wx Program, virus checker .. whatever program made a software call ... and caused the error.

Best Regards,

I hears every word of that!Bad part is you have no clue what caused it.You can only guess without an error message form MD Windows.

Best Regards,