Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kain129

Thinking about getting FS9

Guest Kain129

Hi,im new here and im thinking about getting FS9 and a new Joystick on Friday. Ive been looking at these cool addons that FS9 but I have a question about two of them. I want to know whats better, ProjectAI or World of AI. Also another thing, about the Joystick. Is a Logitech Wingman Attack 3 an appropriate Joystick for a non-combat flight simulator like FS9 ? Cause im thinking about buying that one.

I don't know much about joysticks as I use the CH yoke. I would guess that it depends on what you want to fly. GA like the Cirrus use joysticks as do the Airbus'. I fly mostly planes that have yokes. In either case make sure you also look into rudder pedals... they are essential in my view. For AI also look at Ultimate Traffic (flight1 software). I've had it for a long time and am very happy with it. It gets updated about once a year for the routes and schedules. May not be the most accurate, but I'm looking for "ambience" rather than totally accurate traffic. Mike

Guest Coneman

Just to back you up Mike, I believe Ultimate Traffic is the most accurate of any of the payware AI programs. It will give you a great base of traffic to have right off, then as you feel the need you can substitute better aircraft models and the latest flightplans. But it still has a number of airlines you can't find otherwise.

I want to know whats better, ProjectAI or World of AI.Which airline package?In general WoA uses newer models and newer schedules than the same airline in a PAI package. However, that is not always the case about the schedules.About 60% of the airlines are duplicates. About 40% of each group is not available from the other group.One thing about PAI - be sure to use the option to install each package separately under the airline name. You do not want to get involved in editing one big traffic file when you have an update.However, together these packages will only give you about 50% of the major airlines and affiliates at any major airport worldwide. Less at some.That is where a payware package like Ultimate Traffic can be very useful - to fill in the gaps.But, start with freeware airline, and some freeware GA from www.ultimatega.comYou will need to add a lot of parking to airports to make the AI work well. The number of airport parking files (AFCAD files) with the payware packages is about 1,500. Not always the very latest, or very best - but the planes have a place to park.Start on a moderate to small scale and work your way up.FS9/ FS2004 is a great choice to start. It doesn't have some of the features of FSX, but doesn't require as big/powerful/expensive computer.Also FS9 is very well understood and has a wealth of quality freeware addons.The FSX development is just getting started.

I'm using the Logitech Wingman and it's fine for fs9.Dave F.

I had three Logitech joysticks. Each one gave up the ghost after 6 -18 months. (Got a free replacement after just 6 months, but that lasted just over a year). I'm not the only one with problems of this sort, judging by complaints I found at other forums. I wouldn't, IMHO, consider Logitech. I use a Saitek X52, which is just awesome..Ultimate Traffic is just excellent for AI traffic. I highly recommend it,M.