Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

Need to Restore Default KATL Scenery Files

Man do I feel like a dope. I was flying into KATL and noticed a significant frame rate drop, so I went to the ol' Avsim library looking for a better AFCAD and downloaded Smith Designs KATL scenery v1.5 and it's subsequent fixes. I installed all the files properly using the default installers and the AFCAD worked pretty well. EXCEPT, just as I landed there were 4 planes buried in runway 9L up to the tops of their windows and they were right where I landed so I crashed. Before FS9 reloaded, I used Smith's uninstaller to uninstall the scenery, and then deleted the remaining Smith Design KATL folders, but now there are no buildings or terminals at all at my KATL! Just parking, with trees sticking up through the aircraft.Is there any way to get the default files off my FS2004 CD and back into my current install, or can someone email me theirs? If so, which files do I need and where do they go? Or am I just S.O.L. at KATL? I feel like such a dummy for not backing up, but I was tired and in a hurry so I didn't think! (Slapping forehead) Arghhh.Thanks to the group for any help you can provide.Chuck

Did you start MSFS, go to scenery area, disable addon scenery, exit msfs, restart msfs and see if the default KATL is there.After you get basic KATL try this to improve it. Works well for me. I will include the authors readme for you here:*************KATL V1.1Set Word Wrap On andPlease Maximize MeVERSION 1.1 adds all the textures to the Buildings and Terminals that were not showing up in Version 1.0If you have already installed version 1.0 then just copy the additional 10 jhv_xxxxxxx.bmp's to the Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlightSimulator2004SceneryGenerictexture folder.If this is your first download of KATL then install all the files in the proper folders as per the instructions below.KATL is a on going project and newer versions will continue to add enhancements to the Airport, Landclass and Roads. =========================Active ILS - KATL v1.1 (Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport) katl_ils_v1.1.ZipReadme Dated: 09/12/2005These files are compatible with FS2004 (FS9) ONLY. KATL_ILS_v1.1.ZIP is a continuous work in progress venture.=========================WHAT's NEW (some scenery is based on Contractors 5 year plan) at KATL Hartsfield International Airport1. All 5 runways are open and used simutanously for Takeoff. 2. The new Runway 10/28 is a full ILS Precision Approach and operates under both VMC/IMC airport conditions.3. Various Transistions for the ILS/GPS/RNAV approaches to RWY 10/284. Runway 9L/27R extended to 13,000 ft for the new International Terminal Departures.5. New Taxiways (plus taxiway signs) as per the current Contractor Construction plans. 6. Added a total of 214 Jetways for all Concourses and a total of 375 Parking Spots.7. Jetway spacing is based on FP's from MRAI and associated proper type AI Plane sizes. SEE ADDITIONAL INFO BELOW8. Added additional ILS antennas, checkerboard DME shacks, 2 new Towers, Commuter South Terminal, International Terminal and South Cargo Buildings (plus many other enhancements as per current Construction Plans). 9. Additional wind socks, ILS/GS/Radar/Checkerboard Shacks, and ground support default scenery GUID's. 10. Taxiway's tweaked for more fluid ground operations using both the Diamond and Invisible stacked method.11. Additional scenery GUID enhancements based on Scenery Slider position from Very Sparse to Very Dense.12. Compatible AFCAD2 included which is fully editable if you want to change something.========================Background:As most know initiating the ILS at certain airports for AI Traffic is not a function at this time when using AFCAD2. This is due to the somewhat complex XML code that has to be written for NAVAIDS and then the compiling into a bgl file. If you add a new ILS runway to an airport (AFCAD2) such as KATL (rwy 10/28) only the user aircraft can use this runway when visibility falls below 3 miles. ATC will no longer use runway 10/28 ILS for AI Traffic Planes or User Aircraft (by default) because FS9 sees it as a visual runway and will now vector your Planes back to 9R/27L ILS which is also being used as a South Cargo/Ramp Departure Runway.Many Freeware and Payware Scenery Designers have side stepped this process and do not or cannot add a useable ILS for AI Traffic when visibility is below what pilots refer to as minimums. Also if the runway number has been changed then the ATC voice is now incorrect because AFCAD2 does not rewrite FS9's stock bgl's (where some of the voice code comes from) but only pulls out certain areas in the form of Airport Scenery. It has been noted by this Author that certain Freeware and Payware Airport Scenery falls short and even renders FS9 stock ILS runways from being used when the airport visibility is less then 3 miles. This occurs when Designers add a small bgl to their Scenery files which renames the runways. This design practice eliminates all the NAVAIDS required for ATC to vector arriving AI Traffic to proper ILS runways.The KATL_ILS_jv.bgl file adds all NAVAIDS for making 10/28 a Precision Instrument Runway by adding all the radar fixes for both the ILS approach portion and the proper missed approach procedures along with additional altitudes and intersections so ATC and ATIS will use the right voice verbage for these runways. Please follow the installation of the files carefully. Placement of my files is NOT in the conventional manner that Scenery Designers use but what MSN/FS9 requires to activate the new ILS properly. ======================== FILE INFORMATION and INSTALLATION FOR FS2004 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!There are 24 files (plus what AVSIM adds) in the KATL_ILS_jv.zip. KATL_ILS_jv.bgl FS9 New RWY 10/28 ILS KATL_LC_jv.bgl New LandClass for the Southside of the Airport KATL_Flat_jv.bgl A Flatten bgl for the new 10/28 Runway 1DCA8.bmp 8 bmp files that are Shehryar 'Shez' Ansari Gate Jetway Textures1DCA8_LM.bmp1DCA13.bmp 1DCA13_LM.bmp1DCB8.bmp 1DCB8_LM.bmp1DCB13.bmp 1DCB13_LM.bmpjhv_Cargo.bmp 10 bmp files that are the additional Buildings and New Terminal Texturesjhv_Cargo_LM.bmpjhv_Concourses_j_v.bmpjhv_Concourses_j_v_LM.bmpjhv_Concourses_j_v_Commuters.bmpjhv_Concourses_j_v_Commuters_LM.bmpjhv_Maincommuter.bmpjhv_Maincommuter_LM.bmpjhv_Terminal1.bmpjhv_Terminal1_LM.bmpaf2_KATL_ILS_jv.bgl AFCAD2 for my new KATL FS9 Default Scenery PAI AFCAD2 radius chart Parking radius chart for the AFCAD (Not copied to any folder during installation) Readme.txt This Readme (Not copied to any folder during installation) *********** FS2004 Default Scenery Installation only. ******************* !!!!!!! PLEASE PAY STRICT ATTENTION TO FILE FOLDER PLACEMENT !!!!!!!1. Copy the first 3 files KATL_ILS_jv.bgl, KATL_LC_jv.bgl and KATL_Flat_jv.bgl to Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlightSimulator2004SceneryGenericscenery folder. 2. Copy the 18 bmp files which are the textures for the Terminals and Gate Jetways to Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlightSimulator2004SceneryGenerictexture folder.3. Copy the af2_KATL_ILS_jv.bgl to Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 2004Addon Sceneryscenery folder. Be sure to either delete or rename any AFCAD2 file that is present and being used. Only one AFCAD2 file can be used at a time.4. Start FS9, it will automatically re-index and generate a new database for my files.++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=======================Additional AFCAD2 notes:IT IS IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!!! that you use all my files together for KATL. The default FS9Texture taxi_tramn.bmp that KATL uses for the Ramp textures are very thin. This causes bleed though where I placed additional ramps for all the new parking.I highly recommend that you replace the default taxi_tramn.bmp file in the FS9 Texture folder. I have found replacement texture files in several different downloads available. The first is in Chris Arrington's AIRPORT ENVIRONMENT UPGRADE 7 - FS2004 Textures (v7.01.03) aeu7.zipThe second and also the one I use is in airland1.zip located athttp://www.fsfreeware.com/dcd/NewYou have to do a search in the correct search box at the FS Freeware site..."Resource URL" box NOT the "Resource Name" box and you will then find the file.For consistency I replaced all the FS9 default Runway, Taxiway and Ramp textures with the airland1.zip textures.These type textures are much thicker and bleed though is eliminated.Now on to PARKING GATE SPACINGI used satellite pictures to place the jetways with the correct spacing. This is needed because at KATL many different size planes do not share gates. You must make sure that a B777 does not park at a B737 parking spot or wingtips will overlap. My Parking Spots are based on PAI Recommended standards but also requires that your AI model.mdl have the correct corresponding radius (chart included).You can use the AFCAD2 program and reset some of the parking spots back to the FS9 default values of Small, Medium, Large but once again some plane wings may overlap. Techniques that can and cannot be seen have been applied to the .bgl's for efficient operation of Aircraft movement. Exclusion XML commands and default MSN Scenery are also compiled as part of the overall airport scenery. My method only requires one compiled bgl file placed properly in the correct folder. This method is prefered by MSN/FS9 and mimics a APxxxxxxx.bgl that incorporates the same type compiled XML data/elements. My files are NOT INSTALLED in the conventional manner that Scenery Designers use (Addon Scenery Folder Names/Activate FS9 Scenery Library) but what MSN/FS9 requires to activate the new ILS properly. Compiled exclusions only remove certain default ground GUID's when all files are used together. When you use the af2_KATL_ILS_jv.bgl AFCAD, gate radius assignments are based on the documentation from Project AI. If you want your AI to start and taxi to the proper terminal then your AI Aircraft model radius (.mdl file) may need to be adjusted (using AITM, AFCAD2 or any other applicable program) to Project AI's recommendation. A chart with aircraft radius used is included in the KATL_ILS_v1.1.Zip as a reference. ===========================Uninstalling:1. Delete my 3 KATL_xxx_jv.bgl files from the SceneryGenericscenery folder.2. Delete the 18 xxxx.bmp files from the SceneryGenerictexture folder.3. Restore your original AFCAD2 Airport file in the Addon Scenery folder.4. Restart FS9=========================Technical & Legal:This package is FREEWARE; distribution to commercial software packages, or any electronic medium (CDROM, diskette or hard disk), for the purpose of profit by a company or individual is prohibited without express written consent by the author.This program is released as Freeware. Copyright © 2004 2005 Active ILS. As freeware you are permitted to distribute this archive subject to the following conditions, 1) The archive must be distributed without modification to the contents of the archive. Redistributing this archive with any files added, removed or modified is prohibited. 2) The inclusion of any individual file from this archive in another archive without the prior permission of the author is prohibited.3) This program may be used only for private use. Any commercial use is forbidden.4) Publication for commercial Freeware or Shareware collections is forbidden without the express permission of the author. The same applies for its distribution on the Internet for fees. In any event, my Copyright statement and Fingerprint located in the bgl files must remain intact and no other Copyright statement may be added.=====================================================Acknowledgements:Flight Simulator 2004 - A Century of Flight © 2003, Microsoft Corporation, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.Jeppesen - Copyright ©2003 2004 2005 Jeppesen Sanderson, Inc., ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.Shehryar 'Shez' Ansari - Gate Jetway texturesAFCAD2 - Copyright © 2003 Lee SwordyAITM - Copyright © 2002 Thomas MolitorAITM - Copyright © 2002 Thomas MolitorProject AI - AFCAD2 gate radius chart=====================================================If you have problems or questions about airport design and AI operation, first try to get help on a forum where scenery and airport design experts congregate,ProjectAI.comAvsim.comFlightsim.comJim Vileactive_ils@hotmail.com12:33 09/12/2005 **************> Before FS9 reloaded, I used Smith's>uninstaller to uninstall the scenery, and then deleted the>remaining Smith Design KATL folders, but now there are no>buildings or terminals at all at my KATL! Just parking, with>trees sticking up through the aircraft.>>Is there any way to get the default files off my FS2004 CD and>back into my current install, or can someone email me theirs? >If so, which files do I need and where do they go? >>Or am I just S.O.L. at KATL? I feel like such a dummy for not>backing up, but I was tired and in a hurry so I didn't think! >(Slapping forehead) Arghhh.>>Thanks to the group for any help you can provide.>>Chuck>

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Thanks for your response, Jim. The Default Atlanta Photo Scenery had been unchecked, so I checked it and got all my buildings back.BTW, this is what MY readme says from v1.5:____________________________________________Smith Designs KATL recomplied version.This file was uploaded to Avsim on "January 19th, 2007"This text holds the information you need to properly install this package, as well as other important information.___________________________________-IMPORTANT INFORMATION- IF YOU HAVE IT INSTALLED, YOU MUST DEACTIVATE THE ORIGINAL "South_Productions_KATL_1.0" FROM THE FS9 SCENERY LIBRARY FOR THIS RECOMPILE TO WORK!!- For all support, please send an email to D-Smith2@hotmail.com- This File is free and may not be sold for profit in any way. - This file is a total recompile of the original KATL 1.0, with all the latest AFCAD and scenery updates, including the 3rd AFCAD update release. THIS SHOULD BE DOWNLOADED INSTEAD OF THE ORIGINAL DOWNLOAD._________________________________-HISTORY- none._________________________________-OTHER RECOMMENDED PACKAGES RELATED TO THIS SCENERYAll KATL 1.0 Updates and Bug fixes._________________________________-KNOWN LIMITATIONS / ISSUES- none._________________________________-INSTALLATION PROCEDUREStep 1: Deactivate the original "KATL_1.0"Scenery if you have not already done so.Step 1: Run the Installer, and complete the installation steps.Step 2: Open Flight Simulator, Now you must activate the New "KATL_1.5" scenery.Restart Flight Simulator, the scenery should now function properly.Enjoy!_____________________________________I'm still pretty new at this and this readme clearly states: THIS SHOULD BE DOWNLOADED INSTEAD OF THE ORIGINAL DOWNLOAD, which I interpreted to say that this file (v1.5) is all I need. Based on your response above, though, it's now clear that I should have downloaded and installed v1.0 first. I'm going to give this install another shot, and do it right this time right after we honor my wife today for mother's day.Thanks again for taking the time to help me.Best regards!Chuck

Ok,First, I am Vaughan, Jim is the author of the KATL software in the readme file I sent for your review.Second, I am not sure if your question (below) is about what you did that did not work or if you are talking about the new software readme file I included in the previous post?Glad you got things back to square one .. now you can get some new KATL sceery and go from there.Vaughan Martell***************>Thanks for your response, Jim. The Default Atlanta Photo>Scenery had been unchecked, so I checked it and got all my>buildings back.>>BTW, this is what MY readme says from v1.5:>____________________________________________>>Smith Designs KATL recomplied version.>This file was uploaded to Avsim on "January 19th, 2007">>This text holds the information you need to >properly install this package, as well as other important>information.>___________________________________>-IMPORTANT INFORMATION>>- IF YOU HAVE IT INSTALLED, YOU MUST DEACTIVATE THE ORIGINAL>"South_Productions_KATL_1.0" FROM THE FS9 SCENERY LIBRARY FOR>THIS RECOMPILE TO WORK!!>>- For all support, please send an email to>D-Smith2@hotmail.com>>- This File is free and may not be sold for profit in any way.>>>- This file is a total recompile of the original KATL 1.0,>with all the latest AFCAD and scenery updates, including the>3rd AFCAD update release. THIS SHOULD BE DOWNLOADED INSTEAD OF>THE ORIGINAL DOWNLOAD.>_________________________________>-HISTORY>>- none.>_________________________________>-OTHER RECOMMENDED PACKAGES RELATED TO THIS SCENERY>>All KATL 1.0 Updates and Bug fixes.>_________________________________>-KNOWN LIMITATIONS / ISSUES>>- none.>_________________________________>-INSTALLATION PROCEDURE>>Step 1: Deactivate the original "KATL_1.0"Scenery if you have>not already done so.>>Step 1: Run the Installer, and complete the installation>steps.>>Step 2: Open Flight Simulator, Now you must activate the New>"KATL_1.5" scenery.>Restart Flight Simulator, the scenery should now function>properly.>>Enjoy!>_____________________________________>>I'm still pretty new at this and this readme clearly states:>THIS SHOULD BE DOWNLOADED INSTEAD OF THE ORIGINAL DOWNLOAD,>which I interpreted to say that this file (v1.5) is all I>need. Based on your response above, though, it's now clear>that I should have downloaded and installed v1.0 first. I'm>going to give this install another shot, and do it right this>time right after we honor my wife today for mother's day.>>Thanks again for taking the time to help me.>>Best regards!>>Chuck>

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW