Sign in to follow this  
razorseal

How often do you defrag and with what?

I usually defrag whenever I install something on my computer, or put any kind of addon to FS9... I use o&o defrag and I use the complete/name method...what about you? :)

I use Diskeeper... just because I bought it awhile ago and stuck with it. I'm sure other products work just as well. When do I defrag? Well, I try to defreg once a week or so. Is that too much? Well, I figure it can't hurt. I also try to defrag whenever I uninstall any program, and especially before I install something. Now, I can't say that I do this each and every time, but I try to as much as possible. If I am installing a large add-on or program, I make sure to defrag first.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest ThrottleUp

I defrag once a month using the default defragger :)

Guest blaster331

Greetings, I use Perfect Disc and defrag regularly.IMHO it is the best defrag on the marketBest regardsAndrew

Perfect Disk here too. I probably defrag more often than I really need to, but when you feel confident that the program won't let you down there is no reason not to. HD activity/mechanical wear and tear is kept to an absolute minimum. I've used it regularly for the past 2 years.Mike

I haven't ever defragged. And the only time I install is when I get a new computer. Usually I use a system about 2 years. The only area I think defragging could make a difference is during flight and MS needs to load new textures. Otherwise, looking at a loading screen to 40 seconds instead of 30 doesn't bother me.Fragmentation will only effect your frames-per-second if something else is seriously wrong.

I also defrag by auto schedule using O&O Defragger programme and the complete/name method. There are as many opinions of which is the best as there are programmes to chose from. It doesn't hurt anything to defrag but does improve performance mostly depending upon an individual's use of the computer.Gary

Guest magnum_force

You should be defragging every day, after each use, to reduce the drag on your hard drive, seek time. Actually, it is only being lazy not to defragment after each use session of your computer.As an I.T. guy, I have seen allot of bad hard drives due to neglect.No offense to anyone who has commented on this subject.R.M.

I used Dixtrix - Ultimate Defrag V.1.47 (UD)to defrag according to their adviced method for sim computers (ie. Windows and FS related stuff to the outer edges of the disk and the archives in the middle and the rest according to names.)Results:1. UD seems to work slower after the first two runs and after that it did not work at all. I had to abort defragging because the PC froze.2. At this moment my HD of not even a year old makes a clicking sound and my PC freezes. 3. Could all be coincidence but I'm not happy with it because I have a strong opinion that Dixtrix - Ultimate Defrag has ruined my HD and I stronlgy recommend to not use Dixtrix - Ultimate Defrag. To be honest I think it's a load of crap. Use O&O instead or something simular.Just my two cents ...Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://fool.exler.ru/sm/fly2.gifhttp://www.aussim.com.au/glasair/public/asg3_banner_03.jpg"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

I use O&O here. Never had any reason to try another. It works great. No real timetable I just defrag now and then, whenever it gets quite churned up.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

>You should be defragging every day, after each use, to reduce>the drag on your hard drive, seek time. Actually, it is only>being lazy not to defragment after each use session of your>computer.>As an I.T. guy, I have seen allot of bad hard drives due to>neglect.>No offense to anyone who has commented on this subject.>R.M.It's not lazy just do an automatic diskeeper defrag that's what i do every day hehehe :-)Andr

André

Perfect Disk 8.0 here. I've tried almost all of them and I think PD is the best.I use it probably once a week or so. Always use it right after installing a new program/app though.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hello,I use Perfect Disk (Version 8.0), as well as registry mechanic. I run these programs once a week.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Guest magnum_force

+I forgot to add that I am lazy too, I dont defrag as much as I would like on my Internet computer, but I keep my Flight Sim computer defrag'ed all the way. It does help with performance.I also like Raxco Perfect Disk, Registry Mechanic, and Wintools.net Pro.These are great applications.Wintools is nice for unistalling, it has a searcher funtion to eliminate all traces of software after a uninstall.Crap Cleaner is also freeware, and it is a useful tool. Just dont let it install a google toolbar on your FS computer.