Sign in to follow this  
Guest toni_tasic

FS9 + DX10 = ?

Guest toni_tasic

Hello everyone,Just wondering what would happen if I installed DirectX 10 on my system. I'm running WinXP SP2 and the updated FS9, with no problems at the moment. Should I fix what ain't broke? ;)Toni

Guest wayupthere

XP does not support DX10 so likely either, XP wil get horribly messed up, or nothing will happen at all. Suspect it to be the latter.

One of the hardest lessons in life for me to do is: If it an't broke, don't fix it. I've screwed up a lot more things than I fixed trying to make them "better" jerrycwo4

Guest wyoming

FS9+DX10=500$

>One doesn't because DX10 is for VISTA and beyond. Everyone>else is stuck with DX9C. No, there is no way around this!You know Jim, as often as the obvious has been stated, some folks just never will understand... *:-*

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Actually, I read an article in PC Format (UK) towards the end of last year where they interviewed several game developers and guys from Nvidia and ATI to see what DX10 would bring to the table.I seem to recall the article mentioned some of these developers were running pre-release versions of DX10 on XP (I presume this was a special version of XP distributed to developers working on the first wave of DX10 titles). So, it would appear that there is a version of Windows XP out there that works with DX10.Now, if I were cynical (which I often am), I would say that the Vista only DX10 thing is just another way that MS is trying to force us to upgrade to their new OS.

Maybe they were running the beta version of Vista?Even Phil of ACES has explained how DX10 will only work with Vista and not XP.No, you upgrade your OS when you feel you need the added features. Heck, I still have my kids computers running Win98SE; easy to maintain and reinstall!Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

> I seem to recall the article mentioned some of these developers were running pre-release versions of DX10 on XP...It could just be the DX10 programming libraries and/or a "software renderer" which they might be able to use to test things out. From the reading that I've done, DX10 uses new graphical hooks in the kernel of Vista, and this is the primary reason for it's expected improvements over DX9, as well as its dependance upon Vista. -GG

IIRC there was a period when the DirectX SDK for DX10 could run on win XP, but that ended around the time of either Vista beta2 or RC1. Since then you had to have vista to get the DX10 software renderer to run.scott s..

>IIRC there was a period when the DirectX SDK for DX10 could>run on win XP, but that ended around the time of either Vista>beta2 or RC1. Since then you had to have vista to get the>DX10 software renderer to run.>>scott s.>.>Yep :(Andr

André