Sign in to follow this  
psolk

FSX SP1 is out but I have no driving desire...

After what I read now about SP1 there is real better performance only on high end machines and not on medium ones , like mine.So I still stay with FS9 (and my add-ons) for the moment also.I will perhaps move on to FSX when ALL the problems will be solved and DX-10 is working and I have a new (Vista) machine.Guy

>My FPS on a 2.5 year old AMD3400+ nearly doubled with SP1! I>was in to 20's before and now in the 40's.>What about stutters? That annoyed me more than low fps. And what else part was in that system?My systemAthlon 64 3200+1 Gb RAM 400 MHzNVIDIA 6600GT AGP 256M DDR32 * 160 Gb WD in SATA raid 0Would you even take the time to install FSX + SP1 on such a system?If not what minimum upgrades are necessary to even consider FSX?

Guest KemoF15

3 words: Squawkbox, ActiveSky, PMDG. When FSX can run those simultaneously without rolling back FPS to the low teens (with SP1), then I might spend time with it--till then, I'm sticking with FS9.KemoAmd FX-62 dual coreNvidia 7950 GTX (1GB video)4 GB Corsair DDR ultra low latency RAMRaptor HD (10000 rpm)Dell 24" wide

Don't think FPS will be great with those add-ons. See my post above: I ran FSX SP1 with minimal settings, and Maddog 2006 brought my FPS down from 24 to 8!Guess it would be even worse with AirlinerXP, let alone additional add-ons like ASX etc.Either I'm a complete looser with my hardware (Athlon 3400+, ATI 9800 Pro), or all the others fly only the default planes (for me a no-go) or they all have supercomputers in their hangars...Andreas

Indeed!I run FS on a laptop I purchased last November - it's a Sony VGN AR-21S - as far as FS is concerned this laptop has an Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2Ghz CPU, 2GB RAM, and an Nvidia Geforce Go 7600GT with 256MB video RAM.I can load up FS9 with FSGlobal 76m mesh, Ulitmate Terrain, GE Pro, detailed airport sceneries like UK2000, German Airports, Simwings, FlyTampa etc... Activesky 6 weather, huge amounts of AI at these airports... and aircraft like the Level D 767 or PMDG 747. My laptop can maintain the 20fps framerate limit 95% of the time, and dips to around 15fps when I'm on short finals to a large detailed airport with dozens of AI aircraft.Now a vanilla FSX installation, flying the default aircraft with no addons, I can get around 15fps with medium-high scenery settings. If I apply the various tweaks I can get about 20fps or so. With SP1 installed my fps goes up to around 30 in FSX. If I set the framerate limiter to 20 it can maintain that most of the time. This is just with default aircraft and scenery.Just out of curiosity I installed the FSX version of the FeelThere Legacy. Now this is a fairly advanced aircraft, definitely a lot more advanced avionics than the default Learjet. The Legacy dragged my FSX framerate to well below 10fps!It really doesn't bode well for developers who are looking to sell detailed simulations of sophisticated aircraft.... MD-11 and 757 anyone?

Hi Paul,I've been using FSX since that tuesday it came out at Best Buy heheI find myself tweaking it so much that I rarely sit back and enjoy a flight. I recently reinstalled FS9 with some addons like the LevelD 767 and my UT USA, and GE Pro textures and really do enjoy it. I just miss the atmosphere of FSX....but I like the performance of FS9 hahaWhat I really miss is real flying....no sim beats that!Hope you are well, it sounds like it!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest LeeWang

Gentleman, FS8, FS9, or FSX, is irrelevant. The days of Flight Simulation on the "PC" is coming to an END. Let's face it old "farts"... "Gaming" or "Simulation" on the home PC is dead. The "Younger" generation DO NOT PLAY games on the PC.One day Microsoft will stop producing "Flight Simulator" for the "Home PC", because us old farts with Microsoft will be retired.Lee

Lee has a valid point here. Ever take a survey of your local Best Buy or EB Games and compare the PS, Xbox, Wii, game sections to the PC section?? You may want to keep that old PC running as long as possible. Mike

You name it!I doubt any PC out there is capable of running a PMDG MD-11. I just wonder what PMDG thinks how many copies they will going to sell...And I'm already eager to read all the bad comments about low FPS in forums like PMDG's once people realize they simply ain't got the hardware to run that stuff.Guess at latest that's the point when FSX shows its real face, and it won't be fun anymore for all those FSX advocates then...Andreas

Right said. Maybe FSX is the last in the sequel, at least that's what I personally expect it to be.Andreas

I certainly hope not!However, here we have a new version that can just about run default aircraft and scenery acceptably on current hardware (thats after a seven month wait for a patch). As soon as people start chucking in sophisticated aircraft addons and scenery I expect they will all be back to square one with regards to performance.Then we have companies like PSS releasing half baked products, and then making customers wait months for a patch.Now we see PMDG try and sneak a 35% price hike in underneath the radar.The net effect of all of this will be to turn more and more people away from this hobby.

>I'm going back to sea next Tuesday, so I'm busy loading my>laptop up with my favourite games and downloading the latest>patches and mods for them. I expect I'll get round to>reinstalling FSX with SP1 sometime in the next few days.>There's still no way FS9 will be leaving my HDD any time soon>though!Calm seas and prosperous voyage to you, ER...BTW, what laptop are you using that enables you to run FS9 well, let alone FSX?ON EDIT: I see you answered my question below. I want one! (My laptop dates from the earliest days of FS2004, and can just about run FS2002 without choking.)

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

>My FPS on a 2.5 year old AMD3400+ nearly doubled with SP1! I>was in to 20's before and now in the 40's.>Wait until you crank on the PMDG 747-400 for FSX, and some complex scenery ..... then you'll see ;)-----------------------------------------Are you happy with a default FSX? o_0