Sign in to follow this  
psolk

FSX SP1 is out but I have no driving desire...

>I have decided. I personally don't want to resort to flying a>Sai-Marchetti, however nice an add-on it is, in the middle of>nowhere, with little or no AI, and 25 FPS. Doesn't work for>me. I'm glad you're enjoying it. >>Plus, we all know those views take very little in terms of>system resources. Show me the same golf course, at the same>altitude through the windshield with the VC panel in view. I'd>bet it's no longer 25FPS. Show me an approach to a regional>airport with a bit of traffic, through the windscreen, with>the panel showing. FSX may be first version of FS where, until>technology catches up or some smart person figures something>out, will be best flown from outside the aircraft. >>http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gif>>Alex Christoff>N562Z>Baltimore, MDAll fair arguments, Alex. In one year I hope we'll have it all. As to the next 12-18 minths: heavies in FS9 and cross-country in FSX. Get VOX ATC X, you'll be thrilled to fly mere propellers in the meantime. A whole new dimension, works awesome with controlled AI in FSX.

I have just come across this thread and am amazed about how many people are feeling exactly the way I do.I have also bought and installed FSX the day it came out, applied most of the tweaks to get it half-running but did no more than a couple of test flights in the Caravan and Beaver, and that was it. I went straight back to FS9 with all the goodies and couldn't care less about FSX. Once SP1 was announced I had no desire whatsoever to find whether there might be an improvement or not, I just couldn't care less. I always thought it's maybe just me getting tired of upgrading hardware, wasting hours of tweaking and spening a fortune for add-ons which will become obsolete once the next version comes out, but now I am glad to hear that my feeling is quite common.I am a keen simmer since the very early days and always went straight to the new version with a lot of enthusiasm. With the transition from FS9 to FSX that feeling is gone. I don't know why. Maybe FS9 was kind of a peak and FSX does in fact very little much better. It looks like a dead-end or something and maybe one poster was right in saying that PC flight simming might come to an end.But who cares, I still do enjoy simming a lot and I am very very happy camper using a perfectly set-up FS9 with all the tremenduous add-ons. I'll now just wait and see what the future will bring (X-Box based or emothing completely new???), but as far as FSX is concerned, my opinion is that enough is enough.As regards add-ons it really ####### me off that the majority of providers don't want support/provide updates for people still preferring to use FS9 versions of their prodcuts. It's getting more and more obvious that making new money is their only concern, but my feeling is that such approach can easily backfire and some of them will go out of business pretty soon, because who on earth is going to buy a complex FSX add-on if it cannot be run properly in FSX ??? The whole thing has become just a bloody joke, hasn't it?Roland

Guest Big Vern

>As regards add-ons it really ####### me off that the majority>of providers don't want support/provide updates for people>still preferring to use FS9 versions of their prodcuts. It's>getting more and more obvious that making new money is their>only concern, but my feeling is that such approach can easily>backfire and some of them will go out of business pretty soon,>because who on earth is going to buy a complex FSX add-on if>it cannot be run properly in FSX ??? The whole thing has>become just a bloody joke, hasn't it?>>Roland >>A venerable exception seeming to be Just Flight who are releasing many of their new products with compatability for both sims - the new DC10 pack, new versions of FS Global and FScene all contain versions for both sims and at the price you would expect to pay for one. (Unlike a certain other add on developer mentioned in a now locked thread who has jacked the price of their poducts up at the age when most games in the real world start to appear on the Exposiv type labels for

>As regards add-ons it really ####### me off that the majority>of providers don't want support/provide updates for people>still preferring to use FS9 versions of their prodcuts. It's>getting more and more obvious that making new money is their>only concern, but my feeling is that such approach can easily>backfire and some of them will go out of business pretty soon,>because who on earth is going to buy a complex FSX add-on if>it cannot be run properly in FSX ??? The whole thing has>become just a bloody joke, hasn't it?Perhaps it's just the opposite?Some developers are sticking with FS9, because they think that's where the buyer/profits will be...While other developers have seen the "light"; and are exploring the new & exciting possibilities of creating products within FSX. Even at the possible expense of loosing large volume sales (less profits).........for at least the short term.The facts are:FSX offers more possiblities with creating 3D cockpit panels, as well as interior & exterior graphics. The same applies to scenery design. Yet----------there is still the "bugs" to be ironed out, isn't there!L.Adamson

Oh I do wish L.Adamson would stay in the FSX forum! :-lol

Guest PARADISE

Kind of like when the recording industry went from LP's to cassettes/8 tracks....sure they were easier to carry and sounded a little better because it was easier to filter out "white noise", but they jammed inside their players, the tape quality would lessen over time and you could never quite get an entire song on one side without having to change direction. Yet, they survived.Then came the CD. They got rid of all the "tape" problems and sounded better than cassettes, but they had their own problems....they would skip if the player was touched in anything but a delicate matter, you couldn't record over them and they were expensive to purchase. Yet, they survived.Now comes the I-pod....soon to replace the CD? Probably.In all these cases some of the "old school way of thinking" was upset at the invent of the newer technology, while the "new school" was excited at the prospects of ever bettering the way of life.The more things change....the more they stay the same.OK, I'm done with my philisophical momentJohn M

>Oh I do wish L.Adamson would stay in the FSX forum! :-lol>I would...But something about the title of these threads, just seems to drag me back! Not that I want too, of course! :-lol L.Adamson

Plainly FSX is settling down and opens up new capabilities as all previous versions have always done. We will see how FSX matures. Let's hope complex VC approaches to dense airports become possible again. Hope to see fs11 for the pc - I should be over my fatique by then, and maybe we'll see another fs8-fs9 type transition.regards,Markhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/a320/custbanner2.jpgPC Power Silencer 470/3.2HT/2048mb/ATI X1950pro/SB Audigy

Regards,

Mark

Then don't. Your nothing more than an annoying a really excited user of FSX and those used car salesmen at PMDG. You jump all over people that go on the FSX forum bashing FSX telling them to stay in the FS9 forum yet you come in here and do the same thing. So do us all a favor and go away.

Eric 

>Then don't. Your nothing more than an annoying a really excited user of FSX>and those used car salesmen at PMDG. You jump all over people>that go on the FSX forum bashing FSX telling them to stay in>the FS9 forum yet you come in here and do the same thing. So>do us all a favor and go away.What a crock......Since purchasing FSX, I've picked up FS9's FlightScenery Portland, FlyTampa St. Martain, the Dreamfleet Archer III, Digital Aviations Do-27, Captain Sim C-130, Ground Enviroment II, and the Shockwave Spitfire.All these products are continuing contributions of cash flow to 3rd party developers for FS9, along with freeware such as Glacier Bay.Question: Is this FS9 fan "club", so now exclusive, that you can't own both FS9 and FSX? :-rollIt's a "sad" day when long time developers are black listed by a "simming" community, simply because they care to move on. When it comes down to it, these are still toy airplanes, but yet I see blatant politics, and a strange religious type fever over something that should be no more than an entertainment hobby. L.Adamson

Guest LeeWang

>Kind of like when the recording industry went from LP's to>cassettes/8 tracksKinda>In all these cases some of the "old school way of thinking">was upset at the invent of the newer technology, while the>"new school" was excited at the prospects of ever bettering>the way of life.The "old school" prefer to flight sim on the "PC". The "new school" prefer "X-box".I admit, I'm from the "old school", still enjoy flight sim on the "PC", but mark my words, "Things are a changing", and your correct, the LP, cassette/8 tracks are gone, just like gaming on the PC will soon be gone. Oh, and by the way, I still love my LP's, on my USB turntable.http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=fire...cy_conversion=1As long as the "old school" is around, we"ll find a way to keep the "old" dang thing alive.Lee

I probably shouldn't say this to you but a comparison shot of the FSX - Glen Canyon Dam/Lake Powell against what we get in FS9 might win some FS9ers over to the other forum. I only have 76m fsgenisis mesh for the area but it looks horible in FS9. There is a mountain with the dam and bridges in the middle of the not so great looking landscape.Sadly enough for this (and the other) forum I have to switch to FS-X to fly around Lake Powel. :(

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

Guest LeeWang

And that's what this whole debate is about. FSX is great for just flying around VFR. For others, who prefer to fly into a major airport, using addon aircraft, with some AI in the sky, and yes, maybe have a few trees (autogen) in the background, have issues with FSX. I'm sure everyone here would agree, that we all wanted to move too and use FSX, the way we did FS9.That day may come, but maybe in 1-2 years from now...Lee

I like the way you are thinking Lee! :-kewl

>I probably shouldn't say this to you but a comparison shot of>the FSX - Glen Canyon Dam/Lake Powell against what we get in>FS9 might win some FS9ers over to the other forum. I only have>76m fsgenisis mesh for the area but it looks horible in FS9.>There is a mountain with the dam and bridges in the middle of>the not so great looking landscape.>>Sadly enough for this (and the other) forum I have to switch>to FS-X to fly around Lake Powel. :(And that's what I'd do. Lake Powell with FSX, the KSLC mountain area with FSX, MegaScenery with FSX, Tile Proxy with FSX. Major airports, complex aircraft, lots of AI and well done scenery/airport areas with FS9.Actually, that's what I DO do... :7 L.AdamsonP.S. I'll put some Lake Powell pics on the screenshot forum.