Sign in to follow this  
ramprat

Ok, I finally understand FSX.

My fellow flight simmers,I posted this in the FSX forum also. I thought it might help someone who is like me...fed up with FSX.I admit it. I didn't get it to start with. I am a pilot, not a computer tech. And, an old pilot at that. So, I guess I'm a little slow when it comes to technology. FSX is the seventh version of MSFS I have purchased over the years. Each has been a step up in terms of accurate flight simulation, especially with the excellent add-ons that have been available. I have a 3.2 gig P4 with a gig of ram and a X850PE that runs FS9 quite well. I purchased FSX with great anticipation when it came out. Like many others, I was frustrated with the performance. I tried some of the tweaks, but I was still not happy with the results. So, I left FSX on the hard drive and went back to FS9 and waited for a patch.Yesterday I downloaded the long awaited patch and tried to install it. The patch would not install. This morning I checked the forums in pursuit of a solution. I was dissappointed to see how many new problems have been detected in the patched version. As I read through the numerous posts suggesting possible fixes, it came to me. I guess I got caught up in the theme of prior versions of MSFS. I didn't realize what FSX is. FSX is not a flight simulator, it's a challenge-game for computer techs. You know, a "see if you can get this to work" kind of game. I am not qualified and not interested in such a game. So, I have uninstalled FSX and put it on the shelf-o-shame along with several other add-ons that I have purchased over the years that didn't work. My bad for trying to use FSX for something it was never designed for...flight simulation. I appologize if I have offended anyone with this post. But, I am again frustrated and dissappointed with FSX. However, I thank Microsoft for all the versions that preceded FSX. I really love flight simming!

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

Bill - I am fast coming to the same conclusion. I have been flying FSX with sp1 for the better part of two days and have seen very little if any improvement. Still can't use any traffic or autogen, the ground textures are blurred and I've tried everything and every combination of game and gpu settings I can think of or have read about.I have a 2.5 yr old FS dedicated(not on line) Dell P4 3.46 extreme cpu, 2 gigs of ram, 2 hard drives (1 reformatted for just FSX/sp1), an ATI x850xt pcie platinum edition GPU (about $3,400 for the box alone) and I don't see much difference between before and after sp1.I did do a couple of the config tweaks mentioned by Phil and then reverted back. to see very little difference. I too am not a computer whiz and I am tired of the hassle. The strange thing is that I really haven't used FS9 much lately. My pc plays it very well with most, if not all, sliders to the right, but I have no scenery or other major addons (just some freeware liveries and ac). I just don't want to spend money on FS9 at this point and I am not going to buy another high end box for at least a year or 2. So I find myself watching more TV---- which is unfortunate because FS has been my main hobby in retirement. Bruce Scott

I agree with all - there's no problem in preferring one sim to another. With significant personal factors like performance, addon investments, and other things, FS9 will continue to be viable for many folks.The only thing I would add as a postscript to the original post is that even though FSX seems like a needy baby right now, possibly requiring tweaks and adjustments, I must say that FS2004 was no different for me. I've spend many hours tweaking, adjusting, and customizing FS2004 over the years. I can't tell you how many times I uninstalled, reinstalled, and refreshed my FS2004 configuration over it's lifespan. Adjusting config files, tweaking textures, installing and uninstalling addons... it was rare that a month went by without me performing some sort of tweak. FSX is no different for me. Microsoft provides you a fully working simulator out of the box, but for us who demand more, we need to engage our skills to tweak to a more custom experience. This is why the simulator is reasonably open, enabling us to do this very thing. Fortunately for me and the seemingly vast majority of users, FSX has had no *technical* problems (crashes, etc) and SP1 installed perfectly on my fully clean re-installation. SP1 has also brought a new level of performance to the table, and with that, the tweaking begins again to work with this new baseline of performance. What SP1 *DOES NOT* do is bring all my much enjoyed FS2004 scenery and aircraft into the fold. Flightzone1:Providence is sorely missed in the FSX world for me. But, when all is said and done, I prefer the feeling of flight in FSX, the added low-and-slow effect that dense autogen can give, and some other things that have made my personal choice for simulator be FSX. Nobody should get mad that one person likes one sim or the other. The only problem that I see is when someone makes a blanket statement about one or the other - the choice for sims flows around too many different variables to allow anyone to generalize that one sim is better than another for all users. Alas, preaching to the choir. I'm pleased with FSX, but I *cannot wait!* for FSX to catch up to FS2004 in the world of addons.Take care!

>>Nobody should get mad that one person likes one sim or the>other. The only problem that I see is when someone makes a>blanket statement about one or the other - the choice for sims>flows around too many different variables to allow anyone to>generalize that one sim is better than another for all users.>>Exactly!!!!Too many blanket statements & generalizing! Then I have to come here to say bull, and irritate a few! :)I can easily recognize that one or the other won't fit all needs and desires. It's the reason I still run both, and still download freeware/payware for both!L.Adamson

Bruce,I also have a Dell XPS P4 3.4 GHz with a 256 meg X800XT card.Before SP1, my frame rates were pretty much in the toilet. 5-17.I took FSX off my hard drive until the patch was released. I then did a complete new install, and THEN applied SP1 onto that.It kicked FSX almost right up there with FS9.With FS9 I have low to high 30's with everything maxed.With ALL FSX Scenery slider maxed, but the water effects set to MID-2, I run on the ground at KORD, CYYZ, KLAS, KSAN, etc at around a very decent 12-17, and while in flight almost down to the numbers, I stay in the low 20's.SP1 did miracles for my P3.4/800XT combo.Did you do a complete fresh install before applying the patch?If not, try that.Even with my 'acceptable' FSX performance, I still find the immersing factor way more in the FS9 world. I'm back.....even post SP1.Cheers!Mitch R.

First off Bill, sorry about calling you Bruce. I was thinking in the last post what I wanted to say and then 'remembered' your name from reading your post...as Bruce.Sorry..BILL!Bill, I got rid of my copy of FSX tonight after a great flight from FS9 showed me the way home, (Smile). If you are really unhappy with it (FSX and all its issues pre and post SP1) as I was, you might find someone else that could be talked into taking it off of your hands.I have something to smile about. I got 50 bucks recovered outta the $80.00 and a guy I know (who was making noise of picking up an FSX copy) got what he wanted.Good deal, both ways. You might also find a buyer to recover at least some of the FSX purchase expense.A thought,Mitch R.

Hi Mitch,Don't worry about the Bruce thing. No problem. I did finally get FSX working by doing what you suggested. I am still playing with it to see if I want to keep it. Thank you for your help.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

>My fellow flight simmers,>>I posted this in the FSX forum also. I thought it might help>someone who is like me...fed up with FSX.>>I admit it. I didn't get it to start with. I am a pilot, not>a computer tech. And, an old pilot at that. So, I guess I'm a>little slow when it comes to technology. >>FSX is the seventh version of MSFS I have purchased over the>years. Each has been a step up in terms of accurate flight>simulation, especially with the excellent add-ons that have>been available. I have a 3.2 gig P4 with a gig of ram and a>X850PE that runs FS9 quite well. I purchased FSX with great>anticipation when it came out. Like many others, I was>frustrated with the performance. I tried some of the tweaks,>but I was still not happy with the results. So, I left FSX on>the hard drive and went back to FS9 and waited for a patch.>>Yesterday I downloaded the long awaited patch and tried to>install it. The patch would not install. This morning I>checked the forums in pursuit of a solution. I was>dissappointed to see how many new problems have been detected>in the patched version. As I read through the numerous posts>suggesting possible fixes, it came to me. I guess I got>caught up in the theme of prior versions of MSFS. I didn't>realize what FSX is. FSX is not a flight simulator, it's a>challenge-game for computer techs. You know, a "see if you>can get this to work" kind of game. I am not qualified and>not interested in such a game. So, I have uninstalled FSX and>put it on the shelf-o-shame along with several other add-ons>that I have purchased over the years that didn't work. My bad>for trying to use FSX for something it was never designed>for...flight simulation. >>I appologize if I have offended anyone with this post. But, I>am again frustrated and dissappointed with FSX. However, I>thank Microsoft for all the versions that preceded FSX. I>really love flight simming! Well said, MS is going backwards not forwards with its products.

Have you seen the latest in the FSX forums. I could be mistaken on this but as I interpreted Phil Taylor's comments on SP2 they are dependent on/tied to some adrenaline pack or something. So in other words if you want SP2 for FSX you have to buy some add-on expansion pack. To quote"The release of information is complicated by the fact that SP2 is in Acceleration and Acceleration is payware. I apologize for that, as I didnt anticipate that being an issue back in August and I now realize I mis-set expectations then."That is like the icing on the cake.Wow...-PaulPrimary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E6600 @3.2 gigsAsus P5N32SLI-Plus2 gigs Corsair XMS PC6400 4 4 4 12 @810Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

This is a post I hust read on the AVSIM FX forum:>SP2 will be a free update. The confusion will arise from the>fact that Acceleration includes the SP2 bits, and will come>out before SP2 becomes available. Our release schedule>doesn't allow for them to both come out at the same time,>unfortunately.So if you want SP2 sooner then get Acceleration but if not get it free?Victor>Have you seen the latest in the FSX forums. I could be>mistaken on this but as I interpreted Phil Taylor's comments>on SP2 they are dependent on/tied to some adrenaline pack or>something. So in other words if you want SP2 for FSX you have>to buy some add-on expansion pack. >>To quote"The release of information is complicated by the fact>that SP2 is in Acceleration and Acceleration is payware. I>apologize for that, as I didnt anticipate that being an issue>back in August and I now realize I mis-set expectations>then.">>That is like the icing on the cake.>Wow...>-Paul>>>Primary Rig>Liquid Cooled>Intel C2D E6600 @3.2 gigs>Asus P5N32SLI-Plus>2 gigs Corsair XMS PC6400 4 4 4 12 @810>Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs>24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAF>Dual 19 inch LCD's>Raid-0+1>PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLI>http://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.html>>Backup Rig>AMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.7>2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2>XFX 7900 GTX >Raid-0>psolk.jpg

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Ah,So if you want to pay you can get it early, thanks for clearing it up. But if it is ready to go with acceleration then why not release that same version for free at the same time?Oh well, I prefer FS9 anyway :),-PPrimary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E6600 @3.2 gigsAsus P5N32SLI-Plus2 gigs Corsair XMS PC6400 4 4 4 12 @810Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Seems logical but maybe purchased stuff get out the door first!I did not hear about acceleration ... guess I will go read up on it.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

I purchased FSX the day it was released in the UK, it was on my laptop for all of ten days before I returned it to the shop. This January I went down to the Falklands for ten weeks or so, and came home in April, just in time for SP1. I purchased FSX again and installed it with SP1, but I still wasn't impressed by it. I uninstalled it and left it on the shelf, thinking things would improve as the months passed and we saw new stuff released. Then in May I went back to the Falklands for four months. I spent an awful lot of long dark South Atlantic nights rocking and rolling in heavy seas, and passed many a night flying in FS9 on my laptop.I came home last weekend and caught up with what I've missed, only to find I've not really missed much on the FSX front. Then it struck me, here we are, nearly one YEAR after the release of FSX and things haven't progressed so far. Yes we have SP1, we are still waiting for the "Adrenaline" or "Acceleration" addon (or whatever they are calling it) but the jury is still out on DX10, and what it may (or may not) do for FSX and most of the addons available are ports of FS9 products...A couple of weeks ago I ordered a new Alienware laptop, with SLI DX9 graphics cards and WinXP Pro. Sure FSX will reside on my HDD, and hopefully it will mature into a worthy successor to FS9, but one thing's for sure, it's got a #### of a lot to live up to! In the meantime my sim of choice will still be FS9 with a selection of my favourite addons.