Sign in to follow this  
Guest krswen

Newbie with question about turboprops ...

Guest krswen

I've always liked turboprops (started my career at AiResearch on the TPE331 years ago). I've purchased and D/L'd some (Saab 340, Dash 8 etc) but I read that the MSFS turboprop model is "broken" and descriptions like that.What are some of the things not well modeled and are there some work-arounds?

Guest wji

"Saab 340, Dash 8 etc"Say, which models?

Guest B52Drivr

From what I can gather from old conversations, MS has never lent itself to turboprops well in the engine department. I am NOT a developer, and couldn't do that stuff on a bet, however I am a pilot who has a ton of turboprop hours and FS does not model the turboprop properly -- I can't tell you what the experts could on exactly what the problem in FS is, but there is one.Alot of it has to do with throttle acceleration and decel and items on the pedestal not matching real world aircraft, and the limitations in FS which make it most difficult to model a turboprop correctly.Anyone want to add to this on the FS side of the problems?Best to all, Clay

Guest B52Drivr

From what I can gather from old conversations, MS has never lent itself to turboprops well in the engine department. I am NOT a developer, and couldn't do that stuff on a bet, however I am a pilot who has a ton of turboprop hours and FS does not model the turboprop properly -- I can't tell you what the experts could on exactly what the problem in FS is, but there is one.Alot of it has to do with throttle acceleration and decel and items on the pedestal not matching real world aircraft, and the limitations in FS which make it most difficult to model a turboprop correctly.Anyone want to add to this on the FS side of the problems?Best to all, Clay

Guest krswen

I've got the Aeroworx B200, Captain Sim C-130, PSS Dash8 and FSS Saab340. Got Cantu's EMB120 as well. I was using Aviacoustic today to look through the sound files and everybody seems to handle things a little differently.Also, what parameter in the aircraft.cfg file would affect prop spooldown time?

I don't think prop pitch aircraft drag is handled well at all. Some real world pilots increase prop rpm setting (to flatten the pitch) to aid in increasing prop drag to slow the aircraft. An article by an REX Saab 340b pilot mentioned doing this between the outer and inner marker to allow a more expedited landing procedure at mixed jet/turboprop sequenced airports.In FS I can see the pitch load the Torque reading but without touching the throttle I don't see the IAS drop. I was under the impression it is similar to down shifting in a stick-shift auto.