Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

PMDG raises prices for US customers?

LAdamson,The majority of people here are not upset about the product, and many "understand" the price hike (even if they don't like it); it's the way the price hike came about and the manner in which the company has (not) responded to it's customers (present and future) and seems to be locked into a defensive mode.Given the add-on competition, the threat of piracy, and the speed with which us dedicated flightsim-heads transfer news and views, one would think an add-on developer would be inclined to foster good relations with the paying public, not dismiss their concerns and still expect the buying to continue unabated.I've spent over $750 on FS9. I don't think that makes me a cheapskate. What it does make me is a valuable customer whose opinion should matter to add-on developers looking for my hard earned dollars.

Yeah, I thought about that and you are right. I bought my car in Feb, it is $4k more now at the same dealer ;).I'm not really that stressed about it. I think it was a bit of a blow to the community the "way" that it happened BUT I also think that the products are worth the $80... At 1000 hours of enjoyment $80 works out to a few cents per hour. Compound that with the 1000's of hours of development work and you are only re-claiming a few cents per hour per release...Hey, business is business and that's what this is. If over half of my income was coming from overseas and the value of that market is well above my current market I am going to shift to that market currency also. When I deal with global companies with US HQ I always try to push them to purchase in there local currency. Works out much better for me...I know the team over there well enough to know this wasn't some form of mass deception to try an dfool the market I just think it could have been handled a bit better. Then again, hindsight is always 20/20!Best of luck, maybe one day I will convert to FSX and catch up with you guys ;)-PaulPrimary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E6600 @3.2 gigsAsus P5N32SLI-Plus2 gigs Corsair XMS PC6400 4 4 4 12 @810Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

>>>>Hadnt noticed they changed it untill now, was about to buy>>their 1900D - but wont be now - was $15.00 now about $20.00>->> why would a company put the price up of an "old" product>for>>everyone - not just US customers? - other than to make>money!.>>How about the cost of doing business. Such as bandwidth,>advertising, utilities, customer support, attracting new>talent, etc, and etc. All of the above, doesn't remain>perpetually constant. Just shows how absurd this thread is>actually getting! :-hmmm >>Besides, what's wrong with making a fair and reasonable wage?>>L.AdamsonIt's the attitude the arrogance with them and not listen anymore to there customers...They think it's the other way around we all have to listen to PMDG.I've learned always to listen carefully to your customers or you will be out of business...Those products probably end up for sale with the highest discounts anyway lolBut then again it gives a lot of opportunities for other companies because they think they are alone at the virtual block...As a customer you can't even express your feelings in there forum because they just delete it without giving any reason( this happened twice in my life and the net guess what only at PMDG) to get the facts straight I didn't posted in the euro topic but in the FS9 ;-)I was a loyal customer form, there first FS product but feel deceived by that arogant attitude of them...Funny also they think to have invented software development and knows everything :-lol Andr

André

As the one who brought this whole issue out in the open (and proud of it). I have a few last things to say on it.I found it interesting Randy tried to defelct the issue by wondering why PMDG always gets slammed. You seem not to remeber the posts about Arian and Capt Sim. Two companies PMDG has now apparently joined in infamy.I see Robert has chose to respond to the issue in his forum with a new set of forum guidelines which include:Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of PMDG pricing policies, refund policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, and any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator, AVSim moderator or staff member. Typical PMDG bravado ala Capt. Sim and Ariane (sound familar gents).I also find it very very hard to believe that 85% of their customer base is in Europe. So the rest of the world including the US accounts for just 15%?? I smell something fermenting.This whole deal by PMDG is just a complete and utter joke. As I said before and another said above, those who go up must come down and PMDG in my opinion joins those other companies we all know of and never buy from. They still have not offered a reasonable excuse for jacking up years old products by over 30% other than same lame excuse by Lefteris that someone else did, so why can't we?Don't forget that that exchange rate you all see is the wholesale rate in many cases, your bankk will charge you the consumer more for the purchase in Euro's.I for one am done forever with PMDG. I hope we as a entire group will all vote with our wallets and never buy from them again. If we all stick together, we the consumer are more powerful than those arrogant people at PMDG.

Eric 

Fine, the cost of doing business should be passed along to the customer. No argument here. Where I take issue is in the way they did it. No notice, explanation or reasoning behind the decision until a customer noticed it. Then Capt Randazzo tries to cover it up deep in a thread where discussion of the matter is heavily censored by his minions.I couldn't care less about the price of a product. If it's an addon I want, I buy it. And rarely with any questions asked. What I have a problem with is the sneaky, underhanded method PMDG chose to follow. I purchased the 737NG, its upgrade, the 1900D and the 744 with the freighter addon for the asking price. These products have been a pleasure to fly and I don't regret for an instant having purchased them.I find this latest scheme devious and deceitful behavior from a developer who quite possibly holds the number 1 spot in aircraft related development. Perhaps, not for long.Regards,Jim KarnNOTHING is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

>I for one am done forever with PMDG. I hope we as a entire>group will all vote with our wallets and never buy from them>again. If we all stick together, we the consumer are more>powerful than those arrogant people at PMDG.>>Eric couldn't have said it better I'm done with PMDG to... Cheers,Andr

André

Guest 3202b

I'm done with them too, it's just daylight robbery - over a 30% increase do you think people were stupid not to notice such an increase...

>forum, not a place for armchair economists to tell us how our>business should be run. You could have some more respect for your fellow simmer(s) to call them like that...Maybe there are more people with better knowledge outside PMDG as in consider that I know for sure ;-)Or is there no life outside the virtual world... Ryan you are talking to laywers / professional programmers / docters /pilots /engineers /software engineers / economists / etc...people out the real world etc...Just to put it into perspective... Have respect there,Have fun, Andr

André

Any way you slice it, changing the functional currency your product is sold in, while keeping the absolute amount of the price the same, is a deceptive business practice, whether they intended it that way or not. If PMDG were smart, they'd post a very contrite mea culpa on every flight sim forum in the land, and explain why they felt the need to raise their prices so steeply in one go. Shutting down any discussion of this topic on their forum, as they seem to have done, is just going to make it worse. I'm not to the "boycott" stage yet, as I'd like to see how this plays out, but they've definitely squandered a lot of hard-won goodwill with this ill-conceived action, and their response to it.John G.

John G.

Guest Bilko

>I for one am done forever with PMDG. I hope we as a entire>group will all vote with our wallets and never buy from them>again. If we all stick together, we the consumer are more>powerful than those arrogant people at PMDG.Unfortunately, there are always those, that despite the number of negative and accurate posts and opinions detailing why a certain company shouldn't be purchased from, will continue to purchase from them.

Guest N9225N

The way I see it, I won't join the boycott, because they really haven't done me wrong. So far, I'm a satisfied customer. If PMDG makes something I'm interested in I'll be more cautious next time regardless of their business intentions. I hate oil companies and the ludicrous amount of money management earn. Still, I fill up my car with gas. Theres no need to be so vicious about it.

Guest AOA

HiYep...not too happy with this development but then again does anyone remember when they released their NG and the way they handled that fiasco.Well there are other folks making heavies out there that care about more about their cutomers than PMDG so they will get my buisness instead.B777ER thanks for bringing this to our attention.Pete

>I also find it very very hard to believe that 85% of their>customer base is in Europe. So the rest of the world including>the US accounts for just 15%?? I smell something fermenting.I dunno about 85%, but I'm not surpised the majority of PMDG's customers are in Europe.For my products about 60% of their sales are in Europe.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

>>...and the fact that PMDG has never raised prices in ten>years of history...>>With all due respect, that's a fairly meaningless claim in>this context. PMDG's main products have come out in the last>three years (does anyone here really care about the price of>757 for Fly! not having increased?),I do! And I would love to buy the old Fly add-ons but alas PMDG doesn't sel them anymore. There is an extremely shadowy site that does sell these packages (still full price) but PMDG is very unclear about if they are a legal distributor and if you can get support.They are very clear about what would happen if the add-ons would be put on abandon ware sites though :(

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

Okay, you have had your say, along a lot of others, and there is no sense in beating this horse to death. And, it is starting to get very personal, so, this thread is now locked.