Sign in to follow this  
Nick75

Disk error problem whilst trying to re-install FS9

I'm currently trying to re-install FS9, but an error message comes up halfway through installing from disk 2. It reads: "MS2004 encountered a disk error while writing to the file ....FS2004/Sound/lessons/p3-12.wav. Make sure your hard disk is not full, and that the file is not in use."My hard disk is brand new with over 130GB of free space and I shut down all other apps before installing. It gives me the option to retry but the same message just keeps on appearing, and it won't let me continue with the installation process. Any suggestions on what the problem could be??

Hi Nick; A brand new hdd is not likely to have issues like this: 1). How many times did you try the install, and if more than one time - did it do it each time at the same point? This could indicate an issue with the CD disk or the CD drive. 2). Make sure the CD disk is squeaky clean.3). Try another CD reader - the error message may be the OS's nearest interpretation of the actual error, and so it may not be correct.4). Try another CD. Beg, borrow or steal.Regards,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks for the reply pj. I've tried it numerous times now and it keeps happening at exactly the same point. To the naked eye, the #2 CD looks perfectly clean and as good as new, but like you say, there may well be some kind of an issue with it. Unfortunately I don't have another CD-ROM drive at hand which I could try, but to be honest it looks like I may just have to purchase another copy of FS9..