Sign in to follow this  
Guest moshem

Need support: New PSU & Graphic Card --> FS crashes

Guest moshem

I recently replaced my HEAK 400W PSU with Antec TruePower Trio 550550 Watt PSU, together with replacing my graphic card from GF7800GT to EVGA GF7950GT (PCI-E).Maximum 5 minutes after I start FS9 something happens: computer crashes, display crashes or comuter freezes and needs hard reset.I am using the recent 94.24 NV driver for the 7950, did not change any FS9 settings or display & nView settings (2 screens).The new power supply connectors were connected exactly in place of the old ones, have no idea what the problem is.I use XP, AMD 3800 Dual, 2G memory. I will appreciate any guidelines to troubleshoot the system, and if one needs more information I will add all details needed. Thanks.

I have a 7950GT (AMD 4800 *2 CPU, 2GB Corsair RAM), and had this same issue (more with FSX than FS9, but occurred when the system had to work hard) until I upgraded my PSU to 700W (that was from 450 watts). I'm not sure that 550 is enough or not. If you revert back to the old video card with the new PSU (or vice-versa), that would indicate if either of them was faulty.Bruce.

Hi Moshem: This is the spec for my 535watt Enermax Crossfire ps: The ATI X1950XTX card (in non X-fire mode) requires that the p/s can deliver some 30 amps to the 12volt bus. Below you can see that the chart states it provides a total of 408 watts (34 amps). (I'm not quite sure how they calculate that, considering that V1 (12V) x 22A = 264 watts. There are 2 +12V busses at 22A, so I would calculate the total to be 264 x 2 = 528 watts - which isn't what they show, so there might be some kind of rms value or averaging applied).Anyway - looking up your supply it shows 12v at only 18 amps. Even though they claim 550 watts TOTAL power - maybe this is an inadequate 12v rail for your system? The 7950 spec calls for 20 amps. EG565 AC Input:AX-VE(W): 100-240 VAC, 50-60Hz, 9.5-4.0A, Active PFCDC Output+3.3V +5V | +12V1 +12V2 | -12V +5Vsb | |0.5A/32A 0.3A/32A | 0.5A/22A 0.5A/22A | 0A/0.6A 0.02A/3A | | 170W | 408W(34A) | 7.2W 15W 512.8W | 22.2W Total power 535WCheers

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Paul,Someone on the ASUS forum (I thought at the time that my A6N board was causing this issue) worked me through the same set of calculations. Each 12v rail neesd to be able to independantly supply a certain amount of power. Many people said instantly "it's a PSU issue", and while I doubted them and focused ion the motherboard, sure enough purchasing a really good PSU did the trick.Mine now is a Seasonic M12-700. Cost me $240 about 6 months ago. Never a glitch since.Bruce.

Guest moshem

thank you guys.I went back to the 93.71 driver and it looks ok now:)

I'm glad that you got it sorted.Bruce.

Guest moshem

It looks as if I was too early to close this issue....Problems are still there, I am back with my GF7800GT and it is working fine with the new PSU.Two options left:1. the 7950 is not working properly2. the Antec 550W True Power Trio is not strong enough for that board