Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Landclass Priority Question

Guest WorkingStiff

I'd like to test a few freeware landclass files but before I do so I'd like to have some clarification.If I installed FSGenesis US National Landclass beta would it conflict with a more localized landclass version such as the Florida landclass by Bob Brown and Joe Wilson?I suppose the general question is whether it is possible to install various landclass files directly to the Scenery folder and have them co-exist. In the case of a national and local landclass file; how is it determined which one takes precedence?Thanks.

Guest Lizardo

Very broadly speaking, the FsGenesis will take precedence over your freeware landclass. No, conflict you'll just see it instead of the other. To chose "which" merely install like other add-ons on main page and click on/off in library.

Guest Hugo

Hi!I do have FSGenesis US National Landclass beta and New England LC. In this specific case thy do coexist happyly :-) That is, NE LC takes precedence over US National when both files are present and active. If one is disable, the other takes charge. More over, if you fine tune a certain area with Landclass assistant or EZ Landclass, the modification will take precedence over US National over that specific area. I can't say if it will over local state LC, I haven't tried it.I have found FSGenesis's to be a real nice addition to FS.Hope it helps, Hugo

Guest WorkingStiff

Lizardo and Hugo,Thanks for your responses. It's good to know that the files can co-exist with each other. From your responses I gather that you're both suggesting that I install the Landclass files in their own folder and activate them from the Scenery library.On the other hand, I've seen many suggestions to simply drop the landclass files in the main scenery folder and eliminate the need to activate the file. I suppose both methods have their advantages I personally would prefer not having to activate the files through the Scenery Library.

Guest Hugo

Hi!It's a matter of personal taste. Personnaly I have created a Landclass folder (with a Scenery sub-dir but no texture one!!). I throw all my LC file in there and activate this folder as any other scenery addons.Now for the purpose of checking the co-habitation of both LC (Florida and FS Genesis) you could put the Genesis one in a folder of your choice and, at least temporarely, create of folder especialy for the Florida LC and keep it UNactivated to start with.Then slew youself over somewhere in Florida activate/deactivate FSGenisis to see the difference with FS original then activate Florida LC over FSGenesis to see the effects.If your'e happy with the results you could always move the Florida's LC with all other including FS Genesis and get rid of the folder you put Florida's.Hope it helpsHugo

any of the beta testers know if landclass scenery works in fs2004 or if we have to start again on that?

Guest WorkingStiff

Hugo,Thanks for taking the time to respond. You've been very helpful.

Guest Hugo

My pleasure :-)Hugo

Guest WorkingStiff

Okay Hugo, another question. :-)As I understand it, the scenery mesh is the foundation on which everything else is built. Above that are the textures; sceneries, landclass, etc. How does FS know when to use landclass as oppose to either the generic or replacement textures like those from FScene?

Guest Hugo

Beat me if I can give you a descent answer on this one. :-hmmmMy technic. Try it. If it works, it works. If dosen't, well, better luck net time. :-)I think I remember that for the mesh, the Level of Details (LOD) determines the priority of the one used by FS. The one with the highest LOD wins. I assume the same works for the LC.Pardon my limited technical jargon but I have to live with it too :-lolI think other more knowlegeable people will be able to put some more meat around this!!To be followded...Hugo

If you create a seperate scenery folder for you landclass files you can seperate your landclass and land textures. So for example you copy your US landclass and US FScene in as one scenery set and your Europe landclass and FScene Europe in another set. So you will have:USA -Scenery(USALandclass)-Texture(FSceneUSA)Europe -Scenery(EuroLandclass)-Texture(EuroFScene)If you do it this way you can have as many landclass/texture sets as you want and you can still keep "default texture" landclass files as well by storing them using one of the methods hugo described earlier.But be sure you copy all the textures from the scenerydb/world/texture folder to your local scenery texture folder first and then copy and overwrite with the FScene textures or you will not have all the texture files for your landclass to use. Derek

Guest WorkingStiff

Hugo and Derek,Thanks very much for your advice....I'll try them out and hopefully this is the last of my tweaking. :-)

Hi Derek:just keep in mind that any scenery set with landclass files in the scenery subfolder should *not* have a texture subfolder or you won't see the new landclass configuration!Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,I have tested this, you can use local texture sets for individual landclass sceneries. As long as you use all the texture files that are in the scenerydb/world/texture folder. But there are 150MB or so worth of textures so you will chew up a lot of disk space if you have too many local texture sets. I am using Lennart's Europe textures for my scandinavian and New Zealand landclass, and my own custom textures for Western Australia. Then the default for the rest of the world.If you don't have/need a set of local texture files for your landclass scenery then you shouldn't include a texture subfolder in the landclass folder.Regards,Derek

Hi Derek:nice discovery!!! at least I hadn't heard about that option before. I've been trying to set up a best-of-all texture folder (including Lennart's and other textures) but never got one set that satifies my "needs" for different regions. With your idea I might be able to pull it off ;-)BTW, I'm using two instances of ThumbView side-by-side to decide on specific textures; it makes the daunting task of comparing gazillions of .bmp files a lot easier. A big thanks to Martin Wright: http://www.mnwright.freeserve.co.uk/ (look for TView)!Cheers, Holger