Sign in to follow this  
Cpudan80

Flight1 Super80

Hey All:Does anyone have this addon -- if so -- how is it? Does it work in Windows Vista (w/ FS9)?Thanks,

Guest Pilot533

Ive tried it out, but I returned it. I think it looks very cartoonish and i just could not get over that. Visit flythemaddog.com, they have the best md-80 simulation.

Hi, please be aware that the flythemaddog aircraft has no VC. That's the only reason I have not bought it yet.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

>Ive tried it out, but I returned it. I think it looks very>cartoonish and i just could not get over that. Visit>flythemaddog.com, they have the best md-80 simulation.Hi,They can certainly not be compared, since they represent two different systems.(you know apples and oranges) ;-)If you like the older DC9 Super80 with analog panel,..you should go for the Super80.And if you like the MD80 with semi digital panel and FMS, you should go for Mad Dog.Furthermore, the Super80 has VC. And despite what the MadDog team says,...I doubt very much that we will see any VC in that for a loooong time. Also, the support is a million times better for the Super80.Simple as that.... :-hah

Staffan[/font size]

http://www.scandicair.com/images/fs9_pilots_club.gifDell Dimension 4600 P4/2.8 at 3.0 Ghz, 1024 Mb DDR333 Dual channel memory (2x256,1x512)AGP 256 Mb ATI Radeon X850 Pro ViVo flashed to a X850 XT PE, Omega 2.6.87 (CAT 5.12)DirectX 9.0c, W XP Home with SP2, E171FPb Flat panel monitor 17"370Gb HD (120 GB Maxtor, 250GB Samsung) 7200rpm ATA, Lacie 250Gb Extern HDBlogg: http://blogg.passagen.se/primeaviFiles: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View

Staffan

>.. And despite what the MadDog>team says,...I doubt very much that we will see any VC in that>for a loooong time. Also, the support is a million times>better for the Super80.>>Simple as that.... :-hah>Sounds like you have some beef with them...How come the support is a million times better? I consider it good.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

I have the Super80, and I like it. The price differential to the Maddog 2006 and the fact that the Super80 is a representation of a more vintage aircraft swung it for me. Some people do have problems with the Super80 CTD'ing though.

>Ive tried it out, but I returned it. I think it looks very>cartoonish and i just could not get over that. Visit>flythemaddog.com, they have the best md-80 simulation.I find it just the opposite... I have both add-ons and I feel like the Maddog panel is much more cartoonish than the Super80. The panel just seems too "drawn" and has no depth perspective. :-rollThe Super80 panel has nice, crisp gauges, the panel graphics are well done, and the performance - even in the VC - is superb! In fact, it's one of the best-performing add-ons that I have.I like the Maddog, but the fact that there is no VC takes away from the experience for me. I like to "look around" in the VC and I feel that the head latency that comes with Active Camera makes for a much more immersive experience. With the Maddog, you don't "feel" the shaking from turbulence or the bumping of a runway because it's only a 2-D view. If they do, indeed, make a VC version, I'll upgrade to it.. but for now, I'm happy to stick with the Super80 when I want to fly an MD-80!In the end, they are BOTH fine add-ons and I enjoy using both... but my personal preference is the Super80.Now.. if they would just do a model with the "screw-driver" tail... I'd be in heaven!- Alex

Guest Van

I had the super80 aswell and it didn't last long on my hardrive. I wasn't fussy on the panel graphics and I couldn't get past the fact that there was no working wx radar, no TCAS and no EGPWS. All features that should be included in any payware add-on or added with an upgrade at a later date. Now I know all these items can be added (Lee's freeware IVSI/TCAS gauge here in the Avsim library and Reality XP's payware Taws/EGPWS and WX radar Gauges), but you shouldn't have to put more money out on a payware package to update you aircraft with more payware gauges IMO.I do own the Maddog 2006 and all the above mentioned features are present on this bird, amongst many others. I also find that the DEV team has excellent! support, some of the best I've yet experienced.I find myself addicted to this package and haven't been able to go back to all my other payware add-ons and believe me I have all the highend ones.The Dev team has already released sp1 to fix some initial release bugs and they continue to work on this package to make it even better, including a VC and even wingviews for those that want them.Long story short...IMO, the Maddog 2006 is worth every pennyKindest Regards,Van

Have had both planes since they were released. I have found the support for each to be excellent. Don't really think support is better for one over the other. Just my 2 cents.Regards,Joe

Regards,

Joe Esposito

>>.. And despite what the MadDog>>team says,...I doubt very much that we will see any VC in>that>>for a loooong time. Also, the support is a million times>>better for the Super80.>>>>Simple as that.... :-hah>>>>Sounds like you have some beef with them...>How come the support is a million times better? I consider it>good.Hi,No beef at all with them,..actually not even a steak. :-lolIt is just plain experience for me, and for many more simmers. ;-)

Staffan[/font size]

http://www.scandicair.com/images/fs9_pilots_club.gifDell Dimension 4600 P4/2.8 at 3.0 Ghz, 1024 Mb DDR333 Dual channel memory (2x256,1x512)AGP 256 Mb ATI Radeon X850 Pro ViVo flashed to a X850 XT PE, Omega 2.6.87 (CAT 5.12)DirectX 9.0c, W XP Home with SP2, E171FPb Flat panel monitor 17"370Gb HD (120 GB Maxtor, 250GB Samsung) 7200rpm ATA, Lacie 250Gb Extern HDBlogg: http://blogg.passagen.se/primeaviFiles: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View

Staffan

>I had the super80 aswell and it didn't last long on my>hardrive. I wasn't fussy on the panel graphics and I couldn't>get past the fact that there was no working wx radar, no TCAS>and no EGPWS. All features that should be included in any>payware add-on or added with an upgrade at a later date. Now I>know all these items can be added (Lee's freeware IVSI/TCAS>gauge here in the Avsim library and Reality XP's payware>Taws/EGPWS and WX radar Gauges), but you shouldn't have to put>more money out on a payware package to update you aircraft>with more payware gauges IMO.>Well.. in all fairness, you have to keep in mind that when the REAL MD-80 was developed and first put into service, WX Radar, TCAS & EGPWS were not "standard" or "required" equipment on aircraft of that time period.. in most cases, the airlines added those systems at their own expense. Later on, they became mandatory items for all airliners.So saying that the developers "should have included them" is not a very fair statement. They released the aircraft in the form that it took when leaving the factory.In the same tone of your argument, I could say that Level-D or PMDG SHOULD have included WX Radar in their releases... but they didn't.. nor have they offered retrofits or upgrades!!:-rollPMDG has not even listed WX Radar as features in the release of either their new 747-400X or MD-11.. two aircraft which BOTH SHOULD have WX radar on board as standard items!:-roll Shouldn't you boycott those products as well?Condemning a developer's product for not including features that YOU want isn't very fair. Besides.. any pilot worth his/her certificate should be able to fly perfectly well without those items... being a "real-world" aviator for nearly 27 years, I never had TCAS, GPWS, or WX in the cockpit until 3 years ago... and I have over 17,000 hours without a single mishap!-Alex

Guest Van

I realise that when these aircraft were developed that EGPWS and TCAS were not around (WX Radar has been around for many years), but I'm not living in 1980, but rather 2007 and all commercial aircraft are required to have these features and then some, so developers should be looking at whats required today and not what was required in the past.As far as PMDG and Level-D go, I rarely use them any more as the immersion factor is just to good (for me) in the Maddog 2006. The only other package in the works with the same features as the Maddog, will be Airliner XP's A320 and that one I will probably purchase.For me the Maddog 2006 has set the bar for features and any other package I purchase will need to at least match it or I will have to pass.It's all about personal preference for every simmer and I was and am not condemning any developer, but rather stating my opinion, which everyone is entitled to.Regards,Van

Interesting how the original question was NEVER answered. Obviously the a really excited user only look for certain 'hot button' words. There are a lot of other forums where a simple question like this will be answered.SheeshBob

Well worth the money. I don't use Vista.I do get OOM errors with it on flights longer than an hour or so. I still think it is a great plane even with the problem of not being able to fly more than 500nm.