Sign in to follow this  
MD83

FS2004 is still the main flight simulator?

For me, it's simple: I have both FS9 and FSX on my computer. When I can get FSX to give me the same (or better) framerate with settings that give me as good (or better) a virtual experience as FS9, then it will be time to shift. And I suspect that will be at least another CPU and memory upgrade from what I have now. For the moment, FSX is giving me about 1/2 to 2/3 the framerate as FS9 with settings that give a less believable experience. So, for me, the choice is clear. It may well change in a year, or even a few months -- but, for now, I'm sticking with FS9.

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

I'm surprised nobody has brought up Photorealistic Chile yet.Hmmm... even that is getting old. :D

Mike...

>Hi Nes,>>You would be surprized as to the number of users who are using>FSX. I'll bet it is MORE than what people think.>>Jim>>http://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpg>http://www.hifisim.com/Well I'm pround to say that I'm still an FS9 user. FSX still collects dust for me.Bill M

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

>Number of posts fs9 forum last month-327> fsx forum last month-879>>Do we really need to declare one or the other sim a "winner">or the "main" sim based on some type of numerical statistic?>>It isn't a competition-enjoy the sim of your choice! :-)>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg That is due to TileProxy only. TileProxy is to the FSX forum what all that Chile scenery is to the FSX library...not a true barometer.

Eric 

Hi,FSX works fine for you, a GA flyer. Try using it (even post SP1) at a very large addon airport with 100% AI and 100% autogen with the frame rate staying above 30 (AI aircraft movement, especially if close to you, is jerky any lower, even in FSX) on a computer costing less than $1700. Until then, FS9 is my choice.The comment about a "better flight model" is not what I meant. You are talking about the response of the aircraft to the atmosphere (i.e. "feels more real"). FSX uses the same flight model as FS9. They might have better modeled the response of that flight model to the atmosphere, but they have not improved the capabilities of the flight model itself (various types of turboprops handled correctly, prop dynamics corrected, prop reverse in the piston flight model, etc.).Heck they didn't even fix the problem that changing the engine RPM does not change the pitch of the engine sound, increasing the throttle does (with no RPM change)! Yet we have blah blah shaders and wait! how about the new Adrenaline pack! Give me a break.--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

I have seen several threads here and elsewhere from pro-FSX people announcing that FS9 is dead after the SP1 patch. I don't feel this way myself, and look on this thread as a way of supporting FS9 and supporting developers continuing to create products for FS9. I believe that some people staying with FS9 might feel abandoned, and this post (among others) hopes to alleviate that.--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

>I have seen several threads here and elsewhere from pro-FSX>people announcing that FS9 is dead after the SP1 patch. I'm pro-FSX, but certainly have not gave up on FS9 either. I've actually purchased at least five scenery and aircraft FS9 addons since getting a better CPU and installing FSX along with FS9 and X-Plane 8.5 at the same time.While FSX does wonders for such addons as MegaScenery, or my default mountainous area; I can honestly say that it just doesn't have the headroom for complex addons, at least with my CPU.But............I have not bothered with SP-1, and might not. I like the non-blurries, and very few stutters as my non SP-1 is.L.Adamson

>Hi,>>FSX works fine for you, a GA flyer. Try using it (even post>SP1) at a very large addon airport with 100% AI and 100%>autogen with the frame rate staying above 30 (AI aircraft>movement, especially if close to you, is jerky any lower, even>in FSX) on a computer costing less than $1700. Until then,>FS9 is my choice.>>The comment about a "better flight model" is not what I meant.> You are talking about the response of the aircraft to the>atmosphere (i.e. "feels more real"). FSX uses the same flight>model as FS9. FX, might use the same model, but RealAir Simulations came up with some improvements for it's SF260 which were not possible in FS9. It's noticeable, and I like it. The bump mapping and additional cockpit clarity stand out too!As to 100% AI, 100% autogen, and all that, I'll use FS9. However, at this stage, I'll only fly FS9 with airports such as FlightScenery Portland, the FlyTampa products, or freeware such as Glacier Bay. It's my opinion that the default FS9 areas look too primitive compared to FSX, even with addons such as GE Pro. P.S. --- don't be hard on us GA flyers.:) A lot of my buds in the EAA, as well as my aerobatic instructor (Pitts M-12)-- hangar partner are active or retired commercial pilots. They just happen to enjoy some of the fun of high performance GA during non working hours.And BTW-- still love those 40's & 50's propliners, specially the Connies! :) What ever sim has them, is the sim I'll use for the purpose. Check this pic out. I just painted these stars & strips on my plane. No decals & no pre-made vinyl masks. Am taping for the black invasion stripes now. I just like that era of aircraft...L.Adamson http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/173354.jpg

. . . back into 1/4 scale r/c, I see, Larry! What servoes are you using? :-lol

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

>. . . back into 1/4 scale r/c, I see, Larry! What servoes are>you using?>> :-lolUgh.........Has two Ray Allen servos, one Trio, and one TruTrak.A four channel radio should just about do it! :-hah L.Adamson

I see most people bashing FSX and for good reason, it's a system HOG! I'll keep running FS9 for the time being (a lot invested as well), but when the hardware finally catches up, I might start looking at it.Does anybody have a DirectX 10 capable graphics card out there running FSX in the DX10 version? The graphics are supposed to look fantastic, if you can get past the slide show frame rates.Kim