Sign in to follow this  
tunnelcat

Where to install third party AFCAD files?

Can someone tell me what folder location in FS9 that the AFCAD files for third party scenery should be placed? When I installed the scenery Kai Tak 98, I created a Kai Tak 98 folder within FS9's Addon Scenery folder, then created scenery and texture subfolders under the Kai Tak 98 folder as per the author's instructions.But this instruction from the Readme.txt was not clear to me:"6. Copy the AFCAD file (af2_vhhx_ils_jv.bgl) to the folder that has all your AFCAD airport file bgl's."I ended up putting this .bgl into the Addon Scenery/scenery subfolder (not in the Kai Tak scenery subfolder) and things seem to work OK. Is this the correct placement of these files?This question came up after a total rebuild of FS9 and a first time install of this wonderful third party scenery that allows you to fly the famous runway 13 approach. The author's instructions for installing AFCAD files seem to assume you have done this before.Kim

Everyone has a different opinion on this.I keep my AFCAD files in their own dedicated add-on scenery directory. In other words, if I have an add-on for Cleveland International, I keep the AFCAD within it's 'scenery' folder.For me, it's easier to find them, keep track of them, change them, and replace them that way; I haven't have any problems thus far.

Guest Ocala 1

The way you did it to begin with is the correct way Kim. At least that is the way I have done it trouble free since day one.Harold

Great, thanks all for the info. If I add more scenery in the future, I can create dedicated scenery subfolders for each new scenery add-on and their airport's AFCAD .bgl files to keep track of them.It took me several days to reinstall FS9 (CTD'S occurring constantly) and it helps to keep track of all your changes when you want to do an uninstall in the future.Kim

Guest Stan V

Kim, What you did is just fine - continue to do all of your 3rd party AFCADs that same way. In point of fact, however, as long as FS9 recognizes the scenery folder you put it in, it will work equally well. Early on, a lot of people put all of their AFCAD files in the AddOn Scenery/scenery folder. Since FS9 does not like more than one AFCAD file for any one airport, it was reasoned that it would be easier to detect/eliminate duplicates if all were stored in a single folder. That way, if you add a duplicate, it will just overwrite the one previously there. It's a matter of user preference. You will still find people doing it both ways, but you have to be consistent. Keeping AFCADs in a dedicated airport folder accomplishes the same objective. You do, however, have to continue to check the AddOn Scenery/scenery folder whenever you install a new 3rd party scenery to make sure there is not a residual AFCAD already there from some other source.Stan V.

Which folder is used is more a file management and maintenance question than a FS question.The key reason most people keep them all in one folder is to make it easier to find duplicates. You do not want two AFCAD files for the same airport active at the same time.As noted - they are scenery files and they only need to be in an active scenery folder.There may be some layering issues and file sort order issues, but those can be found and solved.Some people have entire AFCAD sets for one era - say 1950's - another set for the 1960's - and another set for today's FS world.Depending upon when/ what they want to fly, they can make the different sets active.

It looks like manual installs of AFCAD files are easy to keep track of, you know where you put them and what they're for, but what do you do when someone runs an auto-install of their scenery, like Bill Lyons' terrific Classic Goose, for example? (It looks like he put his in the Addon sceneryscenery folder.)Do some authors place them into the main scenery folder or usually just in the Addon Scenery folder? I suppose that I could run that little AFCAD program that checks for duplicates, but I would like to keep track of these files before sorting, activating, moving or deleting them.Kim

Guest blaster331

Greetings All,So just to make sure I understand this ; have only one afcad file for each addon airport in either scenery folder; airport or addon and delete the excisting file.Is that correct?BestAndrew

Only one ACTIVE AFCAD file per airport.You can have multiple AFCAD files in different folders, but those differrent foldres should not be active scenery folders at the same time.Now, AFCAD will read several types of files which are not AFCAD files - taxiway signs is one example - because the files can contain airport header data.Don't delete anything until you are sure you do not want it - move it to a temporary file outside FS and then test.

Hi,My take on this problem is different from most - I have many AFCAD files for a given airport, each in separate folders. The key thing is that they must all be in separate Scenery Layers. Having duplicate AFCAD files in the same scenery folder can cause CTD's. I like my way better (leave all AFCADs with their addon scenery) since it is less likely to end up with two AFCAD files for a given airport in the same folder (usually Addon Scenery/scenery). It's also much more convenient that deleting all AFCAD files save one, and then trying to remember what version is currently in the Addon Scenery/scenery folder.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Tom,Define scenery layers. How do you set yours up? I'm still learning the "gotchas" of the scenery library.Kim

Guest blaster331

Greetings All, but what about afcads for default airports?Do we keep them in addon scenery/scenery folder or make up a new folder? And as some have said if you leave the afcad in the airport scenery folder and install another afcad in the addon scenery /scenery folder which one will FS use? Guess I'm a little confused. Please excuse my ignoranceBestAndrew

I have a separate folder, AFCADscenery, where I place all AFCADs that just modify the defaults with no other scenery files applied. I maintain scenery.cfg such that AFCAD is always the highest priority scenery area.scott s..

Aaaaaaaaaaah, OK. Will someone kindly show us an example of either their scenery library priority list or the scenery cfg. file and show us their method? It's getting confusing now.Kim

I was doing a search on this forum for something else and came across an older post on this same AFCAD question. The link is: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchI read with interest Tom Gibson's replies a few months ago and I want to thank him for replying to me this time. Could Tom please show us an example of this scenery layering that he sets up? It seems that he has a good technique for organizing AFCAD files, I just need to see a visual representation of the folder or file tree structure that he is talking about to get my head wrapped around it. It looks like a lot of people have the same question. Tom? Kim