Sign in to follow this  
tunnelcat

Where to install third party AFCAD files?

Hi,A scenery layer is an entry in the Scenery Library. As long as there is only one AFCAD file for a given airport in each scenery layer, there will be no CTD's. I usually have two AFCAD's active at the same time - a modern one in the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder and a vintage one in the vintage scenery's folder (in a layer higher than the Addon Scenery layer). Let's say I'm currently using the vintage airport. The vintage AFCAD is in a higher layer than the modern one, and is the one that's used in FS. When I want to fly in the modern day, I just deactivate the vintage scenery's scenery layer, and the modern AFCAD takes over automatically.In FS2004 I just use the Add Area button, and then use the Move Up/Move Down buttons to arrange them.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Hi,My scenery library is set up thusly. I make no claim that this is the "right" way to do it. It seems to work well for me. Follow the instructions in the author's text file for layering multiple scenery folders from a single download (or group of related downloads).From top to bottom, as viewed in the FS Scenery Library:Third Party Scenery - each 3rd party scenery is in its own separate scenery layer - each of these layers contains the AFCAD file(s) for that scenery - if you download an "improved" AFCAD for a specific scenery, it should replace the original AFCAD file (if present) in this scenery layer (unless this doesn't work - then follow author's instructions) - repeat for as many addon sceneries as you have - individual airports should be at the top of these layers, with regional sceneries underneath them.Addon Scenery (the FS default Addon Scenery layer) - this contains (as stated above by others) all the "improved" AFCAD files for the default scenery. I got many of mine from PAI, but there are many sources.Static Objects Library (from Rwy12)EZ-Scenery ObjectsOther Library Object layers (if desired) - many use just one scenery layer for these, other use more than oneLandclass Layers - if no textures are included, do NOT create an empty TEXTURE folder!Mesh LayersPropeller Objects and the rest of the default scenery layers as layered by MS in the FS installationHope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Tom,Thanks for helping a newbie at this, I think I'm beginning to understand it better. To clarify things, when you refer to scenery layers, you are looking at the priority list that is displayed within the scenery library while you are actually in FS9, and is each of these entries considered a layer?My problem is that I haven't worked with the scenery library very much and I am not very familiar with the internal structure and syntax or even how to edit it with confidence.Since I just rebuilt FS9, the only add on scenery I have at the moment is two Megacity titles, Columbia Gorge Scenery, Kai Tak Airport, and the Telluride exclude .bgl, which are all located within the addon scenery folder in their own scenery and texture subfolders. FS Terrain is also installed, but in its own directory and which also placed itself at the top of the priority list in the scenery library during the install.My priority list within the scenery library is FS Terrain, Megacity Denver, Megacity San Francisco, Columbia Gorge, Kai Tak Airport, Addon Scenery (which contains the Telluride exclude .bgl) and the rest is in the default order created during the installation of FS9.I notice you have mesh located further down in the priority list. Things are working fine in the sim right now, but I want to be sure I'm doing things right if I add more scenery or airports.Please excuse my confusion with this, I usually do more flying than hacking in FS9. Unfortunately, the temptation is really strong to modify FS9 with all the fantastic freeware and payware available.Kim