Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stamatis

Wrong Runway

Anyone know how to get FltSim 2002 to give the correct runway for the realworld weather? At KILG wind direction 360 and FltSim gives me runway 9 every time. Help Please!Bill

Guest DanWalloch

Crosswind......no problem!

Guest Vulcho

What is the magnitude of the speed?Usually FS, and maybe in real life-I don't know-ATC will give you the longer runway or the easier runway to land at-i.e. ILS or better/easier approach. Winds have to be in the teens I think for FS to give you a diffrent runway. And besides, be happy, a crosswind landing is always fun. Imagine getting a perfect approach every time and never getting crosswind landings. Sometimes, 'glitches' in the system can be fun. :)Alex.AlexNatchev@Yahoo.comERROR:Banner is 6.6KB, 15 pixels (width) above limit. Cannot Display!

Flight Sim 2002 will always give you the longest available runway at any given airport. Which direction depends on the wind.The only way to get clearance to land at any runway of your choice is to use Radar Contact, or don't bother using ATC altogether. Or, you can use AFCAD to change which runway ATC will use, but ATC will still only use that 1 runway...

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Guest Moghdad

How is Radar Contact?

I've read that one possibility is to use AFCAD to make all runway lengths the same since FS 2002 usually assigns traffic to the longest runway. One word of caution, this is all just experimental. Try it on an airport you rarely visit first, and make a copy of your FS 2002 traffic.bgl file first, just in case.http://mostrealisticai.projectai.com/images/northwest.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZMinneapolis, MN

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Radar Contact has a forum here on AVSIM. You can also check out the Radar Contact version 3.0 review here on AVSIM for pros and cons.I use a freeware flight planner called NAV 3.1 (beta) with it for more waypoint editing flexibility. Other freeware and payware planners can be used that can export the plans to FS2K2.Radar Contact is for IFR flying and allows much more flexibility than the current FS ATC such as pilot requesting while in arrival different runways and approach/landing plans, (ILS, VOR/DME, etc.) as available for each airport resources), pilot discretion deviation allowances, alternate destination declarations pre-flight, destination changes in flight, emergency declarations, missed approach declaration and choice of a re-approach or new destination, and other similar more real world flexbility.I am now using the 3.01 beta. For those that use AI, the current release does not recognize AI aircraft at take-off and landing but will vector you around AI enroute. This is currently being investigated to be added hopefully soon.I suggest browsing the forum and follow the links to the design site to read about its current features. You can download the hefty 200 page manual at no charge as a .pdf file from that site. The site also includes helpful links to weather and flight planning programs much more suitable to an IFR scenario.

Guest Stamatis

Bill,Following is how FS ATC chooses the 'active" Takeoff runway:1. ATC will always choose the longest runway that has at least one end open for Takeoffs.2. If only one end of that longest runway is open for Takeoffs, then that end will be used regardless of wind direction.3. If both ends of the longest runway are open for Takeoffs, then: 3a. If both ends of that runway have ILS, or both do not have ILS, then the runway end which is facing more into the wind direction will be chosen. 3b. If one end of that runway is ILS equipped and the other end is not, ATC will prefer the ILS equipped end of that longest runway to the non-ILS equipped end, as long as the tailwind component is equal to 5kts or less. 3c.. If the tailwind component exceeds that value, ATC chooses the non ILS equipped end of that longest runway. 3d.. If there is no wind and both runway ends are equipped with an ILS, or neither end does have an ILS, ATC chooses the runway end first appearing in the dropdown menu list.4.. If we have two or more equal length runways, the selection process still counts, only now all equal-length-runway ends are considered at the same time. Simply replace "longest runway" or "runway" with "equal-length-runways" and "both ends" with "several ends".Choosing the appropriate Runway for LandingsSame process as used for takeoffs is repeated, using "Landing" instead of "Takeoffs".You can now understand that you can do a lot of things with AFCAD, by altering the length of runways or by "closing" some runway ends for either takeoffs and/or landings, as you deem fit.Stamatis

Guest Captain Barfbag

Be aware, though, that runway length is not only used for determining which runway is the active. If you change a runway's length, you will change the start position of AI aircraft, which want to start close to the end of the runway. For small changes, this is no problem, but if you lengthen a runway by several hundred feet you may see all of your AI planes back-taxiing and then taking off from the edge of the runway.You may also have a problem if you shorten a runway. The hold-short nodes have a minimum distance to the runway which you must respect. You can display the hold-short radius in AFCAD, and the Fault Finder will catch problems, but you need to fix these or you will not see good behavior by your AI planes, and you may not get takeoff clearance yourself.

Guest Stamatis

"For small changes, this is no problem, but if you lengthen a runway by several hundred feet you may see all of your AI planes back-taxiing and then taking off from the edge of the runway."Agreed. Changing runway length should only be done for lengths not exceeding a couple of hundred feet, for the reasons you describe."You may also have a problem if you shorten a runway. The hold-short nodes have a minimum distance to the runway which you must respect. You can display the hold-short radius in AFCAD, and the Fault Finder will catch problems, but you need to fix these or you will not see good behavior by your AI planes, and you may not get takeoff clearance yourself."I disagree on this. My personal experience sofar indicates that the actual runway in the scenery file determines this hold-short node behavior, not the "AFCAD runway". I have shortened runway where the hold-short nodes suddenly became distanced from the "AFCAD runway", but AI behavior was not affected.Stamatis