Sign in to follow this  
Guest TomOOO

First flight

Guest TomOOO

HiTook my first (real) flight a few days ago - only a glider though.I was surprised that the instructor gave me the controls just afterthe winched launch to 1500 feet, and left me to fly around with instruction to maintain 50 knots. Finally asked me to turn to the field, and line it up and only took control with the last 50 feet.I enjoyed the flight and at only

Well done. The flight I had was a bit of a shock when they winched us up.The steepness and acceleration gaining height was something I wasn't prepared for at all ;-)Mine was at the 'London Flying Club' based at Dunstable Downs Bedfordshire UK. Where was yours?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest TomOOO

DaveThis was at the Cambridge glider centre - though this is locatedin Sandy, Bedfordshire. You are right about the winch , 0-60 knots in 4 seconds, then 45 degrees up. Must spend my "pocket money"on more of these flights. Tom

I found out that they use a 7.5 Litre 'Daf' engine for the winch.Talk about leaving your last meal on the ground, waaa haaaa.

Dave Taylor gb.png