Sign in to follow this  
Guest southie4

zip dive

When I do a zip dive there is usually a readme.txt file and other .txt files. If I click on the .txt file to read it my PC launches MS picture it. So I try and save it and it downloads as zipshow.php, Is this my fault or the way the file is stored on the server. If so what is the point of a .txt file?Any assistance appreciated.Using IE latest version all updates.ThanksBill

Bill,When saving the file, make sure you save it as a txt file. Hope that helps!

Yes that does help thanks. I used to be able to open them without download as text files. Is this a virus prevention thing now?Bill

Guest southie4

I have the same problem.. Does anyone know what changes I can maake so that I can open a text file without having to download it and changing the name from zipshow.php to readme.txt.I should be able to just click and open it.I have .txt files associated with Notepad and in all other instances except when on Avsim that is what is automatically used to open a text file when I click on it.Thanks,Robert

Guys,Robert Kirkland quoted this on a support e-mail earlier today. Maybe it will help your cases:"The problem is in the settings in your windows setup IT would appear that you have that type of file assigned to Picture IT! Picture It grabbing either the null extension or application/octet-stream mime type. To fix the problem you will need to open Windows Explorer Tool Folder Options and reassign the file typeThe easier way to do it is just right click the file and download and save it to you HD the use notepad to open it for reading"

Guest southie4

When I click on .txt file anytime but when checking out a zipdive while in the Avsim library, Notepad opens it. It happens then and only then.Thanks,RobertPIV 3.2 ghz, 1024 DDR ram, 128 mg Radeon 9800 Pro graphic card, Intel D865GBF 800 FSB mobo,two 80 gig Western 7200 hard drives,Win XP Home Edition, 19" ViewSonic E 90f + SB monitor

Well after this I will let it go promise :-) The only work around to the problem is to associate my "php" with notepad. Now when the dialog pops up with the "zipshow.php" stuff I can click on open and notepad will open it.The downside to all this is php files on my hard drive are now associated with notepad so I have to right click them and select picture it publisher ...It is really strange this behavior only affects me at avsim. Text files at other sites open with no problem.Thats all she wrote from me..thanks for all the input.Bill

Guest southie4

>It is really strange this behavior only affects me at avsim.>Text files at other sites open with no problem.The same goes for me. It happens to me only here at Avsim. At no other time does this happen to me.Robert PIV 3.2 ghz, 1024 DDR ram, 128 mg Radeon 9800 Pro graphic card, Intel D865GBF 800 FSB mobo,two 80 gig Western 7200 hard drives,Win XP Home Edition, 19" ViewSonic E 90f + SB monitor

Guys,I really don't know what to say besides what Robert Kirkland suggested. The .txt files open fine for me. But of course, I use Mozilla Firefox, which I strongly reccomend. Please try Mozilla Firefox and see if that works.

Works perfectly fine with Firefox that is why I do not think its an association problem. It also used to work well with IE and then stopped. I do not remember how far back unfortunately. I would really be interested in finding out how many IE users have thi sproblemAs far as browsers go I am caught between FF and IE as lots of sites I do business with do not currently work well with FF so I am flip flopping for now. ThanksBill

Bill,I hope that soon all sites will be compatible with FF because it is truly a beautiful browser. I just think IE is too vulnerable where FF is free of all that junk... :)

Guest southie4

Well, thanks for your input. I imagine that if this topic was raised in a forum such as the MS Flight Sim one, we'd get to the bottom of this since we'd have more users seeing it and reporting on their experiences.Thanks,Robert

Guest southie4

It turns out that it does not happen if I use AOL instead of Internet Explorer to access AVSIM.Robert

Guest southie4

"Guys,Robert Kirkland quoted this on a support e-mail earlier today. Maybe it will help your cases:'The problem is in the settings in your windows setup IT would appear that you have that type of file assigned to Picture IT!Picture It grabbing either the null extension or application/octet-stream mime type.'"I have .txt files associated with WordPad. That is not the cause of the problem.I do wish I knew what was.I also wish Robert Kirkland would kindly elaborate.Specifically, what in the world does "null extensions" or "application/octet stream mime type" mean, refer to, relate to regarding this issue and - most importantly - how can these variables be modified to correct the situation?Perlexed,RobertPIV 3.2 ghz, 1024 DDR ram, 128 mg Radeon 9800 Pro graphic card, Intel D865GBF 800 FSB mobo,two 80 gig Western 7200 hard drives,Win XP Home Edition, 19" ViewSonic E 90f + SB monitor

Guest southie4

>It turns out that it does not happen if I use AOL instead of>Internet Explorer to access AVSIM.>>RobertIn fact, it turns out that was not entirely true. As I later discovered, it just happened to be working fine when I wrote that. Like what happened for a few days this week, I was able to open readme.txt files without any problems but then without warning it is now back to the same old thing - if I click on a .txt file a MS Picture It dialogue box opens asking me if I want to open or save the file which it somehow reads as being named "zipshow.php".This happens to me no where else but in the Avsim file library!I have .txt files associated with Notepad, not Picture It.RobertPIV 3.2 ghz, 1024 DDR ram, 128 mg Radeon 9800 Pro graphic card, Intel D865GBF 800 FSB mobo, two 160 gig Seagate 7200 Ultra ATA 100 hard drives,Win XP Home Edition, 19" ViewSonic E 90f + SB monitor