Sign in to follow this  
ndflieger

New Il-18

I know that some of my collegues here who like Russian aircraft already know about this, but for those of you that don't can I recommend this superb package to you?The aircraft model has been around for a while, but it's the superb panel - including navigator's position and more dials and switches than you can deal with - that makes this freeware masterpiece!Hand flying is easy, which is handy as I haven't figured out how to turn on the autopilot yet!! The aircraft feels 'just right'. Like a 4 engine turboprop and not a MiG-29.One catch - you're going to have to learn some Cyrillic or get a translation done.Go to www.avsim.ru and search through the files list. The Russian word for 'file' is remarkably similar to the English word.Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest Dominik Mann

Have to agree with you, Gavin - this plane is definitely one of those gems which you really have to search for among the plethora of 747s and 777s (no offense meant) on your average download site. In fact, being a fan of Russian birds, I've been keeping this among my most valuable FS treasures for quite a while. As for the autopilot, I seem to remember the author of the panel wrote something about the Il-18's A/P being a simple "hold heading and altitude" device which *cannot* be used to fly through your entire flight plan with your hands off the stick.

DominikYes, you are absolutely right about the autopilot. It's one of those types that require you to learn to fly. Nothing wrong with modern ones, I love 767PIC and DF737, it's just great to have a 1950's aircraft with 1950's technology. Back to Russian school now!Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Guest Boone

Any chance of a direct link to the d/load? I can't navigate the site?Cheers!Boone

Steffan,Thanks for the direct link! I was wondering if someone could tell me how large the file is? Slow 'net connection here...Regards,ScottCFII/KJMS

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

Thanks! I'll download it this evening.Regards,ScottCFII/KJMS

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

Hi all!I just got the file, but at the risk of sounding like a complete dolt, but how do you install it?I pointed the exe file to a temp folder and nothing that extracted resembles the FS2K2 structure, as near as I can tell. Also, what are the .rar files?Any help will appreciated. Love flying these older airplanes.Regards,ScottCFII/KJMS

Scott Cebula

ScottIt's a funny one isn't it.OK, unzip as you would normally do. Then you'll be faced with a funny looking file thingy and some normal looking stuff. Double click on the wierd looking one and you'll end up with a stranger looking box. Clicking on the left hand button unzips everything into your existing unzipped Il-18 file. From there it's easy, there's the usual gauges and aircraft files plus some scenery stuff. This seems to be some sort of navigation aids which allow you to use all the features on the navigator's panel.Sorry this is a bit vague, but I'm at work and am supposed to be working. It's easier than you think. I did it and I'n no computer expert......honestly!!Then all you have to do is learn enough Russian to read the 71 page manual. There's even a slide rule enclosed in the navigator's panel for some serious navigation calculating.Good luck mate! she is worth it though!Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Gavin,Thanks alot for the info. I'll have a go at it again this evening....so are you saying just go ahead and point the .exe file to the fs2k2 root folder (or aircraft folder)? I usually don't like to do that since I like to see what the files are before I install them in fs2k2.Regards,ScottCFII/KJMS

Scott Cebula

Guest Martin

I just unzipped it to a "safe" directory, for me D:unzipped. Then I could see what files should go where.But I'm not quite sure what to do with the "scenery". Does it need to be added via the scenery library? There are also two fonts included, FSGG and GLASSGA - I guess the FSGG font should be installed (since it's newer), but I'm not sure since all the docs are in Russian...Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

I got it installed also...but not everything is working. The artificial horizon (both of them) act like there's no power to them, but I've flipped everyswitch on the panels I can find. Also does the stt_nabvgau.cfg file go in the FS2K2 gauges folder?It would be so nice if someone could tranlate the necessary parts of the manual to get the plane up and running for us non-Russian speaking types (the Russians probably said the same thing about the 767PIC manual ;-) ).Regards,ScottCFII/KJMS

Scott Cebula

Guest Martin

>does the stt_nabvgau.cfg file go in the FS2K2 gauges folder? I put it there, in its folder (IL18_CFG). But I haven't had time to fly the plane today so I'm not sure if everything works as it should.>It would be so nice if someone could tranlate the necessary >parts of the manual to get the plane up and running for us >non-Russian speaking types (the Russians probably said the >same thing about the 767PIC manual ;-) ). Actually Altavista did a decent job of translating parts of it. But it only does max 150 words at a time, so you have to know where in the docs to look.Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Greetings Martin,Thanks for the info about Altavista - I'll give that a try.I managed to get the artifcial horizons working, by flipping a switch on one of the sub-panels...however when I have that switch "up" the horizons work, but the annunciator warning lights stay on...turn the switch off, the warning lights go out, but the horizons don't work...Gonna be awhile getting to know the taps with this machine. It will be worth it, though. Beautiful cockpit, aircraft and a nice feeling flight model.Regards,ScottCFII/KJMS

Scott Cebula