Sign in to follow this  
Guest DesiDude2007

Help! Turning off Autopilot makes my a/c nose pitch upwards wildly.

Guest DesiDude2007

Hello all ... I'm still a noob at flightsimming. When landing using ILS, about 50-100 ft AGL, I turn off the autopilot. Immediately my plane lurches upwards and I have a hard time controlling it (either it goes into stall mode or veers off course). All the guides I have read say I should turn off autopilot just before the landing at around 50-100 AGL depending upon the plane size I guess. (Right now I use either cessna172 or barron58). What am I doing wrong? I am assuming that my elevators are not set properly (i.e., they are in nose-up position). But how can I set my elevators to default position before turning off autopilot?(apologies if this is not the right forum to post in). Thanks.Desi Dude.

Hi Desi,Disconnecting the autopilot at 50ft is pretty low, I would recommend disconnecting at 1000ft for airliners and not turning it on at all for light aircraft (unless you have a very long cruise segment).What do you use to control the aircraft? Keys? Yoke? Joystick?If you're using keys I would recommend a

Guest rwrea

re-calibrate ur Joystick or yoke and should solve ur problemDick ReaMCA 372

Guest DesiDude2007

Thanks all for the answers. Still using plain keyboard keys. Guess I'll invest in a joystick as well soon. I realize that light aircraft can be flown without AP, but I wanted to learn the IFR/ILS landing. I'll raise the AGL to around 500-1000 ft for disconnecting AP and see if that makes it more controllable. Don't have any fsuipc or any commercial pkg yet. Someday perhaps when I want to start using vatsim / fsnav and all that fancy stuff I hear about.Desi Dude

Make sure you're completely trimmed for "near" hands off flight before turning on the auto-pilot. It might not be still perfectly trimmed when turning off the auto-pilot, but it shouldn't react wildly either.L.Adamson

>Thanks all for the answers. >>Still using plain keyboard keys. Guess I'll invest in a>joystick as well soon. I realize that light aircraft can be>flown without AP, but I wanted to learn the IFR/ILS landing. >I'll raise the AGL to around 500-1000 ft for disconnecting AP>and see if that makes it more controllable. >>Don't have any fsuipc or any commercial pkg yet. Someday>perhaps when I want to start using vatsim / fsnav and all that>fancy stuff I hear about.>>Desi Dude>Keyboard!!! OMG.... You really need a stick at the very least. I've heard of keyboard and mouse flying, but I've never been able to comprehend doing it. I'm sure you'll get some recommendations on a decent stick, probably a Saitek. I don't like them myself so I've been using the CH yoke and pedals.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired