Sign in to follow this  
3Green

Popping/scratchy engine sounds on default planes

In the baron and trainer, I often get a very irritating popping/scratchy sound when I am adjusting the engine throttle. This will last for a minute, go away, and then usually come back once I adjust the throttle again. I haven't tried all of the default planes, but I have a couple of payware planes and they don't have this problem. I really enjoy flying the Baron with Steve Small's flight model, so I'm pretty desperate to find a fix.Anyone else run into this? Any solutions? I've tried adjusting the in-game sound quality and the directx audio acceleration levels without success

Running prime95 in the background fixes it for me.

From a quick search, it looks like Prime95 is a background service that people are running to load test their overclocked CPU's ... I am not sure how it can be a good thing to run that while running Flight Sim ....Gary?

Yes, prime95 is a background service that computes huge prime numbers, and is often used by overclockers to stress test systems, but neither of these uses are why I suggest trying it out.Quite simply, prime95 will ensure that your CPU is running at 100% load when running FS2K2. The significance is that if your OS is using ACPI for power saving, that FS2K2 by its little lonesome will NOT 100% load the CPU and, if you have anything less than a perfect power supply or motherboard current filtering, it causes the voltage rails to fluctate, which in turn can cause crackling sound.Theory aside, it has worked on more than one computer for me, without the need to peg down my sound acceleration settings. All that I suggest is that you give it a test try while running FS2K2 and see if the problem goes away. If it does, your problem is power related and can be remedied by either running a CPU loading like prime95 (it's not the only one) or get a more robust power setup. Since prime95 is free, I pick option 1 every time.Here is a link to the download page: http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htmLoad it up, ignore the registration process (cancel out) then run torture test under the options menu. Then crank up FS2K2 and play with your throttles. Don't worry, if your system is running at normal spec, nothing will be "tortured", rather your system will be stressed withing specified ratings. Once you get your answer, you can dump prime95 if you want.Report back with your results if you try it. Gary

There's your problem. Only solution is to get another sound card. I suggest something by Hercules or M-Audio.EDIT: I just checked the soundblaster website, they posted a driver patch for the Live! 5.1 cards on Feb. 28. Try that and see if it works.

helloi have exactly the same problemi searched all the creative sites but had no locj finding "the patch"can a good willing soul post a link please ?thank you very muchPedro

This is where I got it:http://files.americas.creative.com/Drivers...vPack_Patch.exeThis file is only for the Live 5.1 series with Windows XP. You must already have installed the latest drivers installed (Release July 17,2002).I have installed the patch and it did not fix the problem. The crackling and poping is still there, but not as loud. Also it now has a strange reverb to it.

Yep after following your advice I no longer have that scratchy sound! Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithcrvm@iwon.com" A little learning is a dangerous thing"AMD XP 2100 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ] K7S5A MB |[b]GF3 64 MEG |WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"

I was running Win ME. and had no sound problems with my Sound Blaster live Platinum. Now I have gone to Win XP I also have the poping and cracking sound in all of my planes. Tried the load test program and it did not help. I just ran the patch and it made the poping and cracking sounds a little lower. Is this something between XP and SB live?Hate to buy a new sound card and still have the problem!Any Ideas??Eddie

Comments retracted - I see that you did at least try my CPU loading suggestion.

Try this silly fix:Open up the Sound.cfg file of the aircraft. Look for this section:(GYRO_SOUND)filename=c172_gyromaximum_volume=8800and change the volume=10 or 0.