Sign in to follow this  
CanadaOne

New Rig + FS9 = Finally!

I think I finally have FS9 where I want it. It only took three years and a couple of grand in upgrades, but it was worth it.I can't remember the exact specs of my first FS9 machine, but there's no questions I was very limited in what I could do. My last machine was an AMD64-3000/2GB RAM/7800GS and it made FS9 look great, and most things ran very well, but there were still limitations. Now, with my new four day old rig, an E6700/2GB Corsair RAM/8800GTs 640 with an 80GB internal HD with nothing! on it except a clean defragged FS9, every slider maxed, every option on, 1280x1024 with 8xAF and 16xAA, UT+GEPro+FE+full Genesis Mesh, and custom planes & scenery & AI traffic, FPS is locked at 35 and (almost) never moving even over JFK full of AI and NYC in the background.Two points. First, yes I am bragging about my new rig but I work very hard and I'm allowed to have my toys. (Especially since I don't have a big screen TV.) Second, it's reasonbale to say that if it took three years for me to see FS9 at true max (if what I'm seeing is true max), then I can't see any reason why people should expect FSX to do everything we want in a third the time. Anyway, I've got FSX running on my C: drive with everything else, but FS9, alone amongst all my accumulated clutter, has a home of its own on the D:. Amazing that three years later, through all the tech-hoops, FS9 can still surprise with it's versatility and beauty.If there are any other tricks up FS9's sleeves, I'm looking forward to finding them.

Guest Maxihard

Bravo!:-beerchug

Guest FredGherkin

I'm way overdue for a machine myself. I can't wait to upgrade and reap the benefits.

"If there are any other tricks up FS9's sleeves, I'm looking forward to finding them."A few ideas ;-) :- A screen resolution of 1600x1200 if your monitor is able to display that.- Active Sky 6.5- Track IR !!!!!I upgraded a few months ago just before FSX came out (I used to have a Pentium 4 2.8 with a Nvidia 6600GT video card) and now, even after SP1, FS9 just screams and remains my primary sim.Jean-Paul Asus P5W DH Deluxe - Core 2 Duo E6600@3Ghz - Leadtek 7950 GT TDH 512 - 4 x 1GB Kingmax DDR2 667 CL5 RAM - 2 x 250GB Hitachi T7K250 SATA2 AHCI - Creative Audigy 2 Value - Antec Sonata 2 Case - 450W Antec SmartPower 2.0 PSU - Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20" - Windows XP Pro SP2 - TrackIR 4 Pro - Saitek X52

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Hello,I gave FSX a fair shake and I must say I am "NOT" impressed. I experience constant blurriness as well as studers. I have a state of the art system, and I am unable to get past these problems with FSX, its ridicules. On the other hand FS2004 runs great with all sliders

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Guest ARanc

Guys,I also am getting a new system which should arrive in a couple days. :)How do you think FS9 would run? What frames can I expect?New System SpecsIntel Core 2 Duo T7300 (2.0GHz/4MB L2Cache) 2GB DDR2383MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS Regards,Alexhttp://www.cielosim.com/images/sig_alex.gif

Guest etheberge

Bonjour Jean-Paul,I have no problems flying with the lights off with my TrackIR using the standard reflectors, most of my flying is done this way. As far as I know the only advantage of the headphone clip is to remove the need to wear the standard clip on a baseball cap. I doubt you should hold back just because of that.Alos keep in mind that the headphone clip also needs a cable connected to a USB port, so that's one extra wire connected to your head, on top of the headphone wire.-Erik T.

yes Fs9 is great on a new system, i get now use all payware airports extremely detailed airports, all sliders to the right, FS9 is great! and its great to see addons still being done for FS9.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

A few ideas :- A screen resolution of 1600x1200 if your monitor is able to display that.- Active Sky 6.5- Track IR !!!!!I upgraded a few months ago just before FSX came out (I used to have a Pentium 4 2.8 with a Nvidia 6600GT video card) and now, even after SP1, FS9 just screams and remains my primary sim.Jean-Paul I'll have to grab that AS6.5. Seems to be the one program I don't have that everyone says I should.I really, really want a TrackIR, but by the time you add the headphone clip-thingy so you can fly with the lights off and the taxes it getting in the $300 range. Ouch!As for the monitor, my Viewsonic VX922, which I love, only goes to 1280x1024. I was thinking of getting a bigger Viewsonic but the reviews weren't that hot. Also, might think of getting a second VX922 and maybe even a third and having a real funky screen setup. That won't happen for quite a while.For the moment, though, I admit to being blown away by FS9 running at max. It seems no matter how much you sink into hardware and software for FS9, it keeps up very nicely.

Eric,What range do you have 3D clouds drawn to? This appears to be my only limitation with my machine. And good to hear you're having fun with FS!!! :)

I know the feeling. Enjoy! Hopefully, by June 2010, we will be able to experience a similar feeling with FSX.RH

I am in the exact same spot: new rig specifically for FSX and FS9, and FS9 is by far my primary sim, although I do enjoy some local GA low and slow around my local airport with FSX.One other thing I did that I didn't see mentioned yet: I just added WideView to FS2004!! I've got TrackIR on my new Dell and I've tied my new rig up to my old (1 year) eMachines 3.2 ghz CELERON with it's own 19 inch flat panel, stripped out anything that could slow the eMachines down, turned off traffic, sound, etc. and set all my cockpit views to 45 degrees and IT IS AN AWESOME experience! Even with no add-on video card and just using the eMachines on board ATI video, I'm having a BLAST! Debating now whether I should go out and buy another vid card for the eMachines, or stop being such a flight sim "spend-a-holic" for a while.I feel like I'm wasting all this warm, summer sunshine, but I don't care. And my wife didn't see me all weekend -- I'll really need to make that up to her tonight.Enjoy!Chuck

>Anyway, I've got FSX running on my C: drive with everything>else, but FS9, alone amongst all my accumulated clutter, has a>home of its own on the D:. Amazing that three years later,>through all the tech-hoops, FS9 can still surprise with it's>versatility and beauty.>>If there are any other tricks up FS9's sleeves, I'm looking>forward to finding them.Yep running FS9 with all sliders full and 100% AI is just real fun :-)Running a CD2 E6600 :-)Andr

André

Salut Erik T.Your reply was probably meant for Eric (CanadaOne) :-). As for myself, I have been enjoying my TrackIr Pro for a few months already and feel no urge or need at all to buy the Trackclip Pro.Another thing I noticed is that TrackIr is much smoother in FS9 than with FSX. And when you add to this that only FS9 allows you to easily adjust your eyepoint while using TrackIr (shift / ctrl - backspace or enter), FS9 is the definite winner.Bons vols Jean-Paul Asus P5W DH Deluxe - Core 2 Duo E6600@3Ghz - Leadtek 7950 GT TDH 512 - 4 x 1GB Kingmax DDR2 667 CL5 RAM - 2 x 250GB Hitachi T7K250 SATA2 AHCI - Creative Audigy 2 Value - Antec Sonata 2 Case - 450W Antec SmartPower 2.0 PSU - Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20" - Windows XP Pro SP2 - TrackIR 4 Pro - Saitek X52

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Same here, I also enjoy a flight with FSX once in a while with usually rather good framerates. Some of the reasons that keep me from using it more often is the constant impression that something is wrong : an unexpected series of stutters, framerates suddenly decreasing for no obvious reason leading to spending more time tweaking than flying.Nevertheless, I look forward to using it more often as soon as the hardware catches up or when someone comes up with the magic bullet(s). My impression is FSX is still largely unoptimised. Just have a look at this thread : http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...04691&mode=fullEven if in my case, framerates unfortunately did not increase, visual quality did not diminish either even if the replacement files are 90% smaller than the originals ! So there still is hopeEdit : I just read Bill Learning's reply to that thread saying that these particular files should not be tweaked according to the SDK... Luckily, there are thousands of other files to look at :-)Jean-Paul Asus P5W DH Deluxe - Core 2 Duo E6600@3Ghz - Leadtek 7950 GT TDH 512 - 4 x 1GB Kingmax DDR2 667 CL5 RAM - 2 x 250GB Hitachi T7K250 SATA2 AHCI - Creative Audigy 2 Value - Antec Sonata 2 Case - 450W Antec SmartPower 2.0 PSU - Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20" - Windows XP Pro SP2 - TrackIR 4 Pro - Saitek X52

KInd regards

Jean-Paul