Sign in to follow this  
Orlaam

A Real Flight Planner for IFR/VFR

Are there any high quality flight planners, similar to the Jepessen corporate FlightStar software that I can buy? The only versions they have for a decent price are VFR or IFR, not both. For both, they want 600 USD, and that's a little too much. I'm okay with maybe 400 USD, but not being a real pilot makes spending any more a bit too much. I really just like the nice map terrain display and charts you get with it. None of the FS planners have any good maps or charts. I like being able to have all the low/high (enroute) charts, plus terminals all in one easy place, and not web-based. The online planners are kind of a turn-off as well, since most require a monthly fee, and I'm not crazy about online stuff anyhow.Please, no FSBuild or similar planners like FSNav. I want something that includes way more than those programs, mainly the enroute charts, terminals, and airport plates all in one PC program. Plus the ability to have terrain avoidance planning, map with waypoints/VORs, NDBs, and all that good stuff.So far, only the Jepessen Corporate version seems to be the best out there, and I can't seem to find any detail about those FlightPrep products. The Golden Eagle Plus is unavailable and the free version won't download. It might need an actual real world ID too.Any ideas?

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Orlaam,What aircraft do you fly?Does it have a programmable FMC?Does it have terrain avoidance alarms?Do you fly IFR?Do you use SIDs, STARS?Do you fly in the USA?If yes, you may only need a good set of High and Low Altitude (paper)enroute charts covering the whole USA (under 100USD) form the US government printing office. The charts include MSA, waypoints/VORs, NDBs, and all that good stuff.All the airport IFR ILS plates are free downloads.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Guest deKoven

>Orlaam,>What aircraft do you fly?>Does it have a programmable FMC?>Does it have terrain avoidance alarms?>>Do you fly IFR?>Do you use SIDs, STARS?>Do you fly in the USA?>>If yes, you may only need a good set of High and Low Altitude>(paper)enroute charts covering the whole USA (under 100USD)>form the US government printing office. The charts include>MSA, waypoints/VORs, NDBs, and all that good stuff.>>All the airport IFR ILS plates are free downloads.>>What format are they in? I have 3 disks of stuff I got from some gov't offics but it isn't in any format I can read with my present setup. I'd really like to have some charts online myself.:D

I got disks from the gov't office also.What are the names of the disks you received?Mine are readable (plain text)

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Guest wji

As a realworld instrument rated pilot and aircraft owner the best flightplanner for MSFS ships with FSX. The ability to drag&drop waypoints anywhere in Map View is incredible; especially, when programming DPs for IFR or intricate mountain routes for VFR.Combine FSX's Flightplanner with Gerhard Berendt's flightplanconvert.zip program one can convert these FSX flightplans to FS9 flightplans.Gerhard writes:"File Description:In contrast to FS9, it is possible in FSX to implement user-defined waypoints directly into a flightplan by dragging and dropping it into the map (this goal can evidently be achieved in FS9 only with the assistance of AddOn tools like e.g. FlightSimCommander). This program enables the user to convert a flightplan, created with the flightplanner in FSX, directly into the corresponding flightplan in FS9, thereby making it possible to implement user-defined waypoints also in FS9 flightplans without the help of AddOns."Thanks to Gerhard and Avsim for this cool FREE program.Filename: flightplanconvert.zipLicense: FreewareAdded: 3rd March 2007Downloads: millions!Author: Gerhard BerendtSize: 70kb

Hi,If you become an AOPA member, you can use the Jeppesen online planner for free.Check here the tutorial:http://flash.aopa.org/flight_planner/tutorial/EDIT:Alternatively, you can also subscribe to the native Jeppesen Internet Flight Planner. This one has more features than the AOPA version and is available for Western Hemisphere/Eastern Hemisphere/Worldwide www.jeppesen.com

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

I use the freeware Golden Eagle FlightPrep all the time. Not sure why you are having an issue downloading it.In addition you don't need a real world ID to use it. In fact I don't believe you need one to use the payware off-line version either.It serves my purpose as I have all the IFR/VFR charts on my computer, in addition to all the Plates for all the USA in PDF form, in addition to other countries as I need them. I believe the payware version of FlightPrep comes with those as well.The one short coming to Golden Eagle is that it only covers North America.

Okay, yeah the Golden Eagle or similar PC program is what I'm looking for. The download version looks very nice, but the download wouldn't work last night. I just wish they had one that covered the whole world. They seem to have reasonable pricing too. The 100 dollar version look very nice and it's a great price, as long as I can still use it with outdated NavData after the year expires. I just don't get why the pay version is unavailable right now??If the Jepessen IRF/VFR version weren't so expensive I'd buy it. I could handle 300 dollars for a really nice flight planner with charts.I honestly think this market is untapped for FS. Sure FSBuild and FSNav have their place, but FSBuild really offers nothing in terms of maps or visuals. FSNav requires the sim to run inside, which I hate. Aersoft looks like it comes close, but the visuals are kind of dated looking. Plus, I want more than just a planner. I can get my plans from FlightAware, which I do very often, but I like having the map display and other features.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

>Okay, yeah the Golden Eagle or similar PC program is what I'm>looking for. The download version looks very nice, but the>download wouldn't work last night. I just wish they had one>that covered the whole world. They seem to have reasonable>pricing too. The 100 dollar version look very nice and it's a>great price, as long as I can still use it with outdated>NavData after the year expires. I just don't get why the pay>version is unavailable right now??Not sure why it is unavailable right now, that does not happen often, so you may want to email them to inquire. Earlier this year they were offering the Plus package for 1/2 price....I should have jumped on that.Also, as I always fly in real weather, having the weather overlay the flight plan would be very nice indeed, but I don't have access to the DUATS service. I've tried, but am not sure how you can obtain this part of the service without some type of certification.The NavData issue will always be with us FS pilots it seems....but maybe not someday...who knows? That said, even the free ware version tells you when updates are available to get the latest data. You can choose to download it, or not.As far as covering the whole world, I believe this program is aimed at US pilots, thus is limited in that regard. I tell'ya, I miss not having this program running next to me when flying outside the US/Canada.I fly mostly props/GA, so for me, this is a great program, and although it is said to only be VFR with the freeware version, I create IRF flights all the time using the 'low airway'/'jet airway' (if flying in my lone private Citation)/VOR/GPS options. As the vertical profile provides you with the jetway minimums represented by a red line, you can adjust your flight altitude accordingly.Try it for a while and see if it works for you. If I'm fling in the US/Canada/Alaska I never fly without it displayed on my second computer.If you want Terminals for the US, try this site: http://aviationtoolbox.org/munge/plates_by_state/You can download each State in PDF form, and I simply bring these up in my Acrobat reader as necessary. They are not totally up to date, but seem to work well with the data I use in FS most all the time.

That's a really helpful site! Thanks. I'm DLing the states I don't have on paper. Right now I have only 4 ICAO books of Terminal Procedures. North & South California, Colorado/New Mexico, and Arizona/Nevada/Utah. I bought those at the local GA airport about 3 years ago. The problem is, at about 5 dollars a book, when you add up all the individual books, it's over 100 dollars. I went there and bought a few sectionals and terminal charts a couple years ago and it was 95 bucks! Considering what I got, it's a lot of money for 16 charts.I'm thinking of getting the Digital Terminal Procedures DVD. It's only 13.50 for a one time copy of all procedures. Then I can print out the ones from each state I know I'll use and cut them to fit in a binder of some sort. I usually go to AirNav.com or MyAirplane.com to get the ones I need, but it's a pain in the neck to DL each PDF. You have to be online, and even on broadband they take a couple seconds to come up. This way they're all on one disc and always there when I want them. They also have the digital charts for a decent one time charge at MyAirplane.com. 30 dollars gets you the terminals, sectionals, high and low IFR charts, and planning charts on DVD. Not a bad deal if you just need them for reference. I'm not sure if you can print them, but as much as I like paper, the real paper charts are just too costly.

- Chris

I went ahead and purchased the two DVD's with all the US charts and terminal procedures. Not a bad deal really. For the price, even with the data not all matching the FS data, it's still too good to pass up. I can just modify accordingly, plus the ILS frequencies and elevation data for approach are consistent. Only the waypoint names are what seem to change the most. I also like having all the charts for reference as well, even if I can't print, it's a lot of good info for IFR and VFR planning. Much cheaper than the alternative.Once I switch to FSX it'll probably match even more, so no real loss. In reality, if you're flying online or not using the MS ATC or flight planner, the new maps are always good.Now, to find out how to get the charts for overseas.....

- Chris

Glad I could be of help. Enjoy!

I would like a flight planner that downloads real weather, takes it into account, and gives me the best route based on winds, storms, etc. What program does that?