Sign in to follow this  
clayton4115

"to the l

hi allin real life when the captains do their checklists, what does "to the line" mean?i.e "can we have our taxi checklists to the line..."

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

The last airline I worked for had this in both the Before Takeoff and Before Landing Checklists. Basically all it is, is a way to start a checklist and finish the remaining items at an appropriate later time.exampleWhen approaching the runway hold short line. The PF would call for the "Before Takeoff Checklist to the line". Once cleared into position the PF would call for "below the line". Once both are completed the PNF would say "Before Takeoff Checklist" complete. In this example, "below the line" may contain transponder and some external lights etc... stuff that shouldn't go on until entering the runway.Dustin

Guest RonB49

>what does "to the line" mean?I'm still confused. So, is "...the line" referencing the hold short line or a given line in the checklist? R-

Usually if you look at checklists, they have horizontal lines drawn after key steps. These steps are like "aicraft powered" or "cleared onto active". So you would run the checklist up to these key points. At these keypoints, there is a simple horizontal line so that when you come back to it, it is easy to pick up where you left off.

Eric Szczesniak

The "line" is on the checklist.Look at it this way...The Before Takeoff Checklist contains all the items you have to complete before taking off, however, you don't want to do all of them after you get take off clearance (not enough time), equally you don't want to do them all before you get the clearance (taxiing about with the landing lights and weather radar on won't make you very popular).The solution...The before take off checks have a "line" in them. That line usually has some text on it like ----Cleared to take off---- or ----Entering the runway---- or whatever your SOPs require. The idea being that all the checks you can do before the condition on the line (Transponder, loadsheet, cabin ready etc etc) can be done while taxiing. The other things you have to do before take off but don't want to do while taxiing about (landing lights on, weather radar, signal the cabin crew) can be done at a more appropriate time while still being part of the Before Takeoff Checks.Phew! I thought I was clearing it up but rereading it; it looks like I've complicated it even more.In the airline I fly for; the person calling for the checks (not always the Captain) just asks for them, the person doing/reading the checks will automatically stop at the line. The phrase we use would be (at the appropriate point) "Through the line please" i.e. instructing them to go through the "line" in the checks and do the rest of them. Obviously if he's not happy the condition has been met he would probably say something but you see what I'm getting at.Hope this helps,Ian

Here is a portion of the checklist I used.Note the Yellow and meganta box.This is the taxi takeoff checklist.All items down to and including the "Fuel Panel - check are read. Right after that is the dashed line or "The Line"When cleared for takeoff below the line is called and all remaining items are read. So if you were lets say number 2 for departure, you would not want your igniters popping as there are time limited so when finally cleared to go the the rest is done. Some guys will call for the entire checklist but will say hold at ignition.Douglashttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/174106.jpg