Sign in to follow this  
Guest DocW

White knuckle VFR approaches

Here you go mikehttp://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trthen cut and paste that dutch website at the bottom for webpage translation( http://www.fsvisions.nl/site/content/view/117/9 ) in there and say Dutch->English. ;)Here is an example ...of what it did ..Quote: (sic)"Nepal. The birth country of boeddha. A majestic country on the border of sky and ground. Lain in the himalaya between India and China. The most important belief directions in this impressive kingdom are the Hindoe?e and Buddhism. Nepal is thus, just like India, a country where a lot of westerlingen draw naartoe, in search of answers on life questions. But also because of its taking by surprise beauty this country has an enormous attraction on travellers, mountaineers and adventurer.Of the ten highest mounts in the world lie there no less than considers in nepal, among which the highest mount in the world: Mount Everest. This colossus stands confessed under the local population also under the names Qomolungma, Qomolangma or Sagarmatha Chomolungma (mothermother mother of the ground). The top of this giant lies on 8850 meters. Sagarmatha Chomolungma the roof of the world is thus, however, called. Nepal is a country where you can encounter yourself, and where you will realise how and null and void you actual are. Such as the large Flemish chansonnier and po? Jacques Brel ever sang: when under the clouds people dwarfs is.....

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest jgreth123

Yeah but it doesn't decode the linked paypal page.

Guest DocW

OK, here are my first impressions:Snettisham is the place where I would like to build up my tent under a wing and call it a day having some beers and a sausage - very, very nice.Skagway is my favourite, just well modelled with Glacier Bay and a decent approach. LFLJ is very good, but to get the most out of it, I would have to buy the payware scenery, same applies to LUKLA. As for Glacier Creek, I jammed my flaps and crashed in :(. Excellent description of the approach! You turn and before you realised, you already passed the threshold .... Finally I found I08 but not S08 (or the other way around), but the field existing in vanilla FS9 is exactly what I am looking for, trees and hills on both thresholds, calls for a STOL aircraft. Thank you for all the suggestions.

Guest wji

O.K., Michael, I just remembered this one-minute video I posted in April showing the

. This is default FS9 except for FSGenesis terrain and Ultimate Terrain landclass :-)Thanks for viewing.

Guest Flaps

Check in the libraryDoherty' Difficult & Dangerous Approaches These are some of the best :)Jim...Flight One ATR 72-500 bandit crash and fly king master of the go around almost.

Guest DocW

>O.K., Michael, I just remembered this one-minute video>I posted in April showing the>[youtube.com/watch?v=pRu2xTK-nec|Bird-dog into Glacier>Creek]. >This is default FS9 except for FSGenesis terrain and Ultimate>Terrain landclass :-)>Thanks for viewing.Close shave, you almost touched down in a curved path ... nice flick. I also enjoyed the one about the Iditarod trail ... well made, just the choice of music on final was ... um ... something I had to ge accustomed to ;-)

Guest DocW

>Check in the library>Doherty' Difficult & Dangerous Approaches >These are some of the best :)>Jim...Flight One ATR 72-500 bandit crash and fly king master>of the go around almost. >I know I am an ignorant but I am still surprised by all the things I did not know about ... I just downloaded 1-63(sic!)and that's quite a handful. Thanks for pointing me there.

Guest Flaps

Hey Michael it's no problem, and your not ignorant. To me, that's what the forums are all about. Discussion and asking questions about our hobby and everyone lending a hand. That's what makes this such a cool place.Jim

Guest wji

Thanks for viewing and commenting, DocWith 49 Youtube videos' posted, I find it increasingly difficult to keep track of them all but if you refer to the

section, IMO, Glen Campbell's "William Tell Overture" fits the 4X sim-speed. Keep those cards and letters coming :-)P.S. Make sure you try the KGZ flight for yourself.

What planes are you guys using for these places? I have the RealAir Scout (combo package), and I just purchased the DA D0-27. I also have the Carenado 206 package, but I find it strange to land with. Almost as if you have to fight it down. Maybe I just need practice.Anyhow, my main issue is that a lot of these planes don't perform good at the altitudes I want to fly. Like Alaska or those places you mentioned in Idaho. The RealAir and Do-27 don't want to run, and take off is very difficult, since you can't seem to get any lift. I imagine these planes are tuned for performance to take-off and land at higher altitudes? Seems strange, but if you can't get maximum power at say 5000 feet, then how do you STOL?You take the Do-27, RealAir, or any prop close to sea level and they fly perfect! I've been flying for a long time now and used many planes, so I know it's not me, especially when I can T/O and land like a pro close to sea level. Actually, I can land at those higher altitudes just fine now, but it's the take-off that takes too much runway. Do people just tweak these to run at higher altitude better?? Maybe the FSD Porter is a little better? It's the only other plane I can see myself getting for this type of flying. I'm still on the fence about the Do-27. It handles great, but a few things about it are strange.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest DocW

>these to run at higher altitude better?? Maybe the FSD Porter>is a little better? It's the only other plane I can see>myself getting for this type of flying. I'm still on the>fence about the Do-27. It handles great, but a few things>about it are strange.Hi Chris,I use the Do, and I am happy with it at these altitudes. If I had the money, I would like to get the porter for this kind of flying as well, though with a turboprop it might not be as much of a challenge anymore - just a guess.

Well, I've done two flights out of Cabin Creek, Idaho. Take-off as in real life runway 20 and I can do it, but it literally take the entire runway. Flaps 35 and barely above stall speed, it's not something I can see working in questionable weather. I'm wondering if the Cessna 206B would be any different. I don't know much about the plane and only bought it to have a nice all-purpose Cessna.I've decided I really love the Dornier, it just takes a little getting used to the different procedures and method in which it was developed in FS. I always try to simulate as much realism I can with all my planes given the documentation.I'd still want a higher altitude turbo-prop STOL, but FSD has a history of not letting users reinstall their planes, and I'm builing a new system in a couple months, so I'm very leery.The DO-27 is a wonderful add-on though. Oil hitting the window and all!

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest DocW

>The DO-27 is a wonderful add-on though. Oil hitting the>window and all!so that's oil? I was wondering ... I decided that it had to be flies. But oil makes sense. It's really time for me to read the manual in depth I guess.

Do a search for some airports done by Frank Betts. Wicked to say the least......per the above discussion, I love flying my Scout, The Cessna 206, and Do-27 in these 'out back' environments. The 206 is best for higher altitudes, but I love the way the Scout handles if conditions are right. Same with the Do. The Do is really addictive, and I have found it to be a great plane as well. Realism to the max.

Guest DocW

>Do a search for some airports done by Frank Betts. >>Wicked to say the least.another one, great!I will look for them ASAP. Thanks!