Sign in to follow this  
fablarto

Dawn/Dusk Horizon Line

Does anybody know of good FS9 dawn/dusk sky textures that smooth the horizon? There are some good ones for day skies (soft horizon, blue sky), but I still can't get rid of the sharp horizon when the sun is low. Even setting my sight distance beyond FSUIPC's visibility maximum doesn't resolve the problem. This remains one of the few FS9 issues that really gets me.Thanks,Alden

These shots were taken with my Soft Horizons package at dusk. Look pretty good for me, but MSFS will always have the hard line when looking straight at the rising or setting sun, unless you take up the suggestions in my readme for editing the sun's halo effect. One of the shots is taken at a wide angle, and except for roughly +/- 10 degrees of the sun, the horizon is fairly smooth as was the intent of my package.Regards,Johnhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...&mesg_id=259355

Thanks for the shots John. I'll reinstall those textures and check it out. I'm wondering how that scene would look at FL370 over the ocean.-Alden

Guest DocW

John,can you comment on if it would make sense to combine your horizons with Active Sky? Or do they both modify the same textures?Great work of yours!

I don't have Active Sky, but any add-on that has an effect on sky colors would use the same textures, so if Active Sky does that then it will essentially overwrite my texture mods.-John

"I'm wondering how that scene would look at FL370 over the ocean."Here's a shot at FL370 over the ocean just passing Hilo, with a sight distance of 80 miles (abnormally clear for the ocean). I cropped the shot from the original 1024x768 resolution.To achieve it, in addition to Soft Horizons' help, I edited the suneffect.cfg to provide an example of what it does and what impacts the horizon. Simple edit to this line made this scene possible:Texture="sunglow.bmp"Size=".075" //Size=".28"Location="1.00"Intensity=".50"Sunglow="1"You can play with the size and even the intensity to get the best combo of sun glow and horizon at sunset. The smaller the size, the narrower the range where the "hard" line is displayed.Hope this helps...Regards,Johnhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/174105.jpg

Guest DocW

thanks, that's a pitty, especially with regards to the most beautiful screenshot at FL37 of yours.

Guest PARADISE

John, you have impeccable timing. My goal this weekend was to get a better sun texture tweaked into my FS9. After implementing your tweak here and, of course using your Soft Horizons, I just completed a flight to KPHX, landing RW 26 at sunset. Only one word came to mind.....WOW.Thanks for yet another great tweak and freeing up time for my weekend.John M

Thanks for your work John. The new release of your Soft Horizon's hads made such an impact on my MSFS2004 that I don't feel I have a need for Active Sky at this time.It's beautiful! Thanks again for emailing me the file. Chuck