Sign in to follow this  
skip d

think i messed something up

This is my very first try at d/l an aircraft,and I thought per the installion text included with the file ,it would be a snap. I think I must have done something wrong. The file I d/l'd from AVSIM LIBrary is Milton Shupe Aero Commander 500 (no VC) AC500V1After reaching the desktop I scanned it for virus,unzipped it and then just double clicked the .EXE file and followed the install wizard. All seemed well,until I tried to start MSFS9. The disk in the CD drive spins as usual;I get the splash screen as usual;then a warning box appears with "aircraft initialization failure:ac500 cargo vc dirty. close box.clicking on close box gets me back to the desktopWHOOPS. I did something wrong,so maybe I should Uninstall this file?Going into the FS/9 aircraft folder I found the AC 500V1 file right at the top,and deleted it. No luck--still can't start FS/9 at all.Still get the same messagePlease help me undo my mess! I hate being grounded!skip

If the file was originally installed via an .exe command file, you need to delete it from the Add/Remove Programs applet in Windows Control Panel.Try going into your recyle bin, restoring the folder you deleted to it's original location in your aircraft folder, get out of recycle bin and your FS2004 folder, and then delete the plane from the program listed in your Add/Remove Programs list. That should work.If it doesn't work, or you can't restore the deleted aircraft folder properly from your recycle bin, just reinstall the plane by double clicking on the .exe file again, let it fully complete the install process, and then go in and delete it through Add/Remove Programs. I would then reboot my computer before trying to restart MSFS to flush out any leftover files, just to be on the safe side.That should get you up and running again. Hope this helps.Chuck B.

Are you sure you didn't do something besides installing that aircraft? I just d/led that and installed it and I don't see that "ac500 cargo vc dirty". AFAIK, when you get that problem on start up, the cause is that the default flight that is loaded at start up is calling for an aircraft that is broken. Open your FS9.cfg file and look for a line like this:SITUATION=E:My documentsFlight Simulator FilesPHNL Cessna RWYYou can try changing it to justSITUATION=or find a different saved flight file that uses a different aircraft.If you feel interested, you should be able open the flight file (extension .FLT) in the situation line and look for this line:Aircraft=Cessna Skyhawk 172SPThis line must point to a valid aircraft (title= line in aircraft.cfg).Note that if FS9 fails to start, you should have an FS9 troubleshooting folder in your program folders. In there is a "safe mode" start up which will use a plain vanilla fs9.cfg to try to start FS9. Back up your existing fs9.cfg before you try this.scott s..

Skip,Chuck's right about everything he said, but I'd like to encourage you not to get too hasty in discarding the Aero Commander. It's a great model and you'll love it once you get it working.To my knowledge, an aircraft initialization failure is caused by trying to load a flight that was saved with an aircraft that doesn't exist in your Aircraft directory.Did this download come with a demo flight(s), and did you by any chance, double click this flight to start the sim in this case?My thinking is that since the failure indicates that the sim is looking for "ac500 cargo vc dirty", and the model you downloaded was the "no VC" version, possibly Milton & the boys inadvertently included the same .flt files with both the "VC" and "non-VC" versions of the aircraft, and apparently the flight was saved using the "VC" model. The sim can't find "ac500 cargo vc dirty" (it was intended to look for "ac500 cargo novc dirty" or whatever title was given to the aircraft you installed), and is throwing the aircraft initialization failure back at you.Here's a couple diagnostic steps:1. What happens if you go into your main Flight Simulator 9 folder and double click "fs9.exe"?2. What happens if you go into "My DocumentsFlight Simulator Files" and double click a flight that you've saved recently with an aircraft known to exist in your Aircraft directory?More solutions:1. Give it what it wants:Download and install "ac500ca1.zip" from the library, which contains the "ac500 cargo vc dirty" variation it's looking for.2. Fake it (reinstall the commander first):Open up the "Flight Simulator 9AircraftAC 500V1" folder and drag the aircraft.cfg for the aero commander into an open Notepad window. Change one of the "title=" lines to "title=ac500 cargo vc dirty", save it and try to run the sim again.3. Make it look for something else (reinstall the commander first):Drag the offending .flt file into an open Notepad window, scroll about halfway down and find this section:[Plane.0]Aircraft=ac500 cargo vc dirtyChange the "Aircraft=ac500 cargo vc dirty" line to reflect one of your installed variations from one of the title= lines in the commander's aircraft.cfg, save it and try to run the sim again.Keep us posted, we'll get it working.JimEDIT: Sorry Scott, I guess I was typing when you posted. Here's more of the same :) .

thanks for all the help--you guys are great!You're right about the Aero Jim,it's a really nice looking aircraft.It's up and flying and I'm ungrounded!!skip