Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shawn67

Quick question about repaints...

Guest Shawn67

Just curious, if you download a repaint of one of the default AI aircraft, will that new paint scheme show up as AI traffic? If not, is there any "simple" way to accomplish this? Thanks for any help.

Guest wji

AI aircraft show up in the sim once they are assigned a flight. This is what TTools is for: it uses three files1.) aircraft_new.txt (which contains the aircraft to fly; add new repaint here)2.) airports_new.txt (which contain ALL or select airports only)3.) flightplans_new.txt (these are the times and places the aircraft fly)Once it's Compiled into traffic_new.bgl . . . you're smokin'P.S. One of the easiest ways to add copious amounts of AI traffic like Project AI (PAI) which can be installed automatically using the PAI Installer and Airline Packages (FREE).

Guest Shawn67

So, I'm new to this, so bear with me....if I use PAI, do I also have to download AFCAD files???? Or are these PAI files okay to run without them? Thanks again.

Guest wji

as near as I recall TTools comes with PAI InstallerIf you just want a particular repaint -- one plane -- added to your sim, PAI may be overkill.

Guest Shawn67

Okay, I think I did a very poor job of explaining what I want to accomplish, so I'll give it another shot..... I could care less about having "real-world" flight plans or schedules in my sim. I DO however, like the idea of collecting all the repaints I can find of the "default" aircraft, and then have all of these different repainted "default" aircraft randomly appear in the sim, the same way "Orbit Airlines" and all of the other default paint-schemes do......In order to accomplish this in the "simplest" manner possible, what does one have to do? Thanks for everyone's patience..

Guest Shawn67

Okay, I've done some searching and found "GA-Traffic". It sounds like it does "exactly" what I'm looking for, except that it only does GA aircraft at smaller airports. Is there a program like this that will look at all my repaints, automatically create flightplans, and populate the world with these repaints (including larger aircraft)?

Are you simply looking to have the default traffic, i.e. Orbit, Landmark, etc - appear as real world airlines? If thats all your looking for, simply download sufficient real world airline repaints of the default aircraft, and replace the relevant texture folders. They will then appear as the real world airlines, albeit without the proper callsigns etc - and also operating in very odd parts of the world!Sorry if this isn't what your asking - your question is indeed a little hazy!There is no programme that will 'automatically' create flightplans - TTools 'assembles' them, but you have to plug all the relevant data into it (albeit in an easy manner).Regards,Al.

"I DO however, like the idea of collecting all the repaints I can find of the "default" aircraft, and then have all of these different repainted "default" aircraft randomly appear in the sim, the same way "Orbit Airlines" and all of the other default paint-schemes do......"If you're OK with replacing "Orbit Airlines", "Landmark", "Ganja", etc. with a real world airline livery, all you have to do is drop the textures from your downloaded repaint into the texture folder of one of your currently flying default AI allowing them to overwrite your existing textures. What used to fly as "Landmark airlines" will now fly as "United express", for example.If you'd rather keep your default AI and add your new liveries flying their own flights, then you need to download traffic tools (ttools202.zip from the library), read the documentation, and create your own AI flight plans for your newly installed liveries.Personally, I think it's best to understand what's involved in creating AI flight plans from scratch by typing out your plans in Notepad and compiling them with TTools before you use a tool like GA Traffic which basically automates this task. Then, after you have read the documentation, created and compiled sucessful AI flightplans in Notepad, I would recommend giving "AI Flight Creator" (aifc174.zip) by Dave Westbury a try. Nothing bad to say about GA traffic or any other AI flightplan editor, but "AI Flight Creator" just seemed to make the most sense to me. Y-route (google it) is another little ai app that has some useful functions not found in other flight plan editors. AI traffic mover (AITM, google is your friend) is another with some awesome functions, but a rather steep learning curve.I have them all installed and use each to do certain things, but when I really get serious about making some AI flightplans, I type them out by hand in Notepad(or Textpad) and compile them with Traffic Tools.Jim

Guest wji

O.K., Shawn, take a look at this:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/174468.jpgThese are screenshots of the three files described in my previous post.One can see -- using TTools -- any airports can be used to fly any AI aircraft at any times' specified.