Sign in to follow this  
Trans_27 Pilot Chase

Ever been so aggrivated with FS that you....

Popped a sleeping pill to go to bed? I have. Aggrivated with the LDS panel. After many re-installations, I still have this jagged line down the middle of the panel. Then I jump into the PMDG747, and for me, its a pretty complicated aircraft, so I hope it loads up with full engine start and ready to roll. Well, I only got half of what I wanted. The two left engines were started. I tried for 20 minutes and was unsuccessful in starting the other two. Annoying...So much for my long haul tonight, huh? Im off to bed folks, just had to vent. Hopefully I'm not the only one thats ever been this aggrivated with FS?

somebody's gotta do it..."It's OK! Take a deep breath! Now, relax!"Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been trying to come up with concrete fuel burn data for a particular aircraft by flying it between fixed points at a specific altitude with a stopwatch running. I'm about to have a stiff belt over this one myself because I can't get the same figures twice in a row to save my a$$.Oh well, it's just a game. This is fun, right?Jim

>Popped a sleeping pill to go to bed? I have. [/b][/font]Welcome back! How does that feel?

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

I was using UTOPIA on my LDS767 and ended up rolling 167 off the end of the runway. I checked my figures, everything was ok, I just didn't get enough speed by the end of the runway.I wish FSPassengers had a note field where you could put a note like "the pilot didn't screw up, his derate software did!"

Guest Bambi

Nope, not at all ! Nothing gets me more irritated than when my PC or FS doesn't want to cooperate ! Guess it's the obsessive-complusive side of me that kicks in "it's gotta work, it's gotta work!" "Why isn't it working??!!"Most times it's just a short between the chair and keyboard !

There is a post on the LDS website about this. I ran into it myself.After many, many attempts to take-off, I found my plane floundering as it was not accelerating as it should.I set 70% thrust using my CH Flight Sim Yoke lever and hit the TOGA button. The plane accelerates and then at some point the autothrottle disconnects. Usually the real throttle handles would stay where the autopilot set them on a real 767 but because our yokes are manual (not adjusted by autopilot), it "derates" to where we left it (at 70%).I hope I got it right. It's been a while since I flew it.Hope that helps.Jim

>Most times it's just a short between the chair and keyboard !Don't you just hate it when that happens? :)

my problem is I have so much practice getting off the ground and so little actually landing. its always crashes to the desktop for one reason or another, memory leaks, bad textures, etc. So aggravating.

I try to keep flight to 1-2 hours at the most with the odd "long haul" tossed in, because of the CTD problem.Learning the full aspect of the aircraft (like starting those other two engines ;) ) is also the fun part. Once you learn how (it's not hard, tust me, if I can do it anyone can).I actually picked up Mike Rays real world 757/767 sim and chk ride manual and it gave me more of an insiders look at the systems than anything else. I actually went out and bought the 737 and 747 manual after that.

>I was using UTOPIA on my LDS767 and ended up rolling 167 off>the end of the runway. I checked my figures, everything was>ok, I just didn't get enough speed by the end of the runway.Hmmm, strange, the original UTOPIA software I released was quite bold with the derates, my own copy (currently still being tweaked) is a bit more conservative. To be released soon....I've had it happen to me a few times, the error has always been (in my case) a bug between the screen and the chair. It turns out that the runway length data I have is not necessarily TODA (Take off distance available). Sometimes you actually start the take off roll x thousand ft up the runway, or maybe there's a load of unusable runway at one end (displaced threshold). Check on a chart what the actual TODA is and enter that into the runway length field (after selecting the runway).>I wish FSPassengers had a note field where you could put a>note like "the pilot didn't screw up, his derate software>did!":-) Nice try.Sorry sunshine, as the pilot you are responsible, no one else, not me, not the software, not the weather, not the manufacturer, not your wife/girlfriend/cat/pizza delivery boy, *you*. Any mistakes/incidents/accidents are only ever one persons fault, yours. Abdicating that responsibility means abdicating the best seat in the house, your call but you can't have both.Get back to me (email address in the readme) if there's a *real* problem with UTOPIA. I can have a look for you.Hope this helps,Ian

UTOPIA is a great program. However I can see how you might have taken offense, but it certainly wasn't meant that way. It's only happened once. But I'm off next week to play FS all week so if I get bored I might try and repeat the conditions. In absence of other proof, I'm willing to accept "pilot error."Hehe, since I got the attention of the UTOPIA guy, can I ask if you'll be including more aircraft?

No offence taken, I've done the same thing and sworn at the stupid little program and picked the code to death until the twilight hours trying to figure out why it gave me the derate that saw off the end of the runway. Unfortunately in every case it turned out to be an input error. I felt suitably silly and now when I hear of others making the same mistake I feel an almost paternal urge to defend the program and give out all the reasons you may find yourself off the end.Mistakes I have made :Taking off from an intersection and not updating the runway length (more than once, ahem)Runway has a large displaced threshold so the TODA is much less than the runway length (again, more than once)Left a number off the end of the weight (so the weight was way way way out). Only once on that one I'm pleased to say.I am still testing some of the new data files (not many, PMDG 747-700 and RFP 747-200) and as I mentioned earlier the new version doesn't give quite such large derates anymore.If you want other data files you can make them yourself, it's not *that* time consuming (I can usually knock them off in a few hours - but I've got it down to a fine art now :-)). Do you think I need to say more in the readme about that?Glad you like the program,Take care,Ian