Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

Who is flying the Dash7?

I'm really enjoying learning how to fly this a/c. On one hand it is quite an easy a/c to fly - but on the other,you can get into trouble quickly with it.So far, I can land it (at 40,000lbs) in 2000 feet. I have read that it is possible to land it in half this distance - if so, I would love some pointers. Possibly I am coming in a little too fast - but below 100 knots on final approach, I tend to get into trouble. I haven't tried using the spoilers on approach yet - anybody tried that? At what stage of the approach would they be used?Thanks Barry

Can't say that I've landed it in less than 2000 ft, but I can tell you that an approach with full flaps requires a considerable nosedown attitude. At less than 50% fuel loads, I can hold about 95 kias without much problem, but it takes practice to make a smooth transition to flare and touchdown. With full flaps, I carry some throttle all the way to touchdown. I haven't tried spoilers on approach, but with all the drag from full flaps I can't imagine doing this in real life.Not sure how accurate the modeling is, but I've tried shutting down and feathering one outboard engine, then making a turn to final into the dead engine. I used 25 degrees of flaps and added 10 kias to approach speed. It was a handful, but I was able to bring it in for a reasonable landing. Give it a try.It's an absolutely great freeware aircraft, many thanks to all those who worked on it.Dale

Dale

Guest wji

"I have read that it is possible to land it in half this distance "Affirmative, Barry. I admit to using a cheat in that I have the FS2004 brake indicator (CTRL+PERIOD) turned off on my FS9.I set the parking brake (CTRL+.) on approach so once the reversers are engaged, she stops pretty quick :(http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/174537.jpgP.S. Unrealistic but fun.