Sign in to follow this  
Smoky942

FS9 corrupt ?

Hi, recently, I noticed the wording in the parking brake set message had disappeared, I just get a red strip. Also , no ATC. The message box opens, but it's empty. I reluctently reinslalled FS9, expecting it to put me back to square one, but unfortunately it's still exactly the same. Any ideas would be more than welcome.Russell.

Guest magnum_force

This is an interesting question, considering I have uninstalled and reinstalled FS enough to make me a Professional uninstaller.If the Video card is ATI, I would look at compatibility in Direct 3d and make sure it is checked.I have seen this and I believe that is how I fixed it but I have had so many issues I could be confusing it with another problem.I always just use Google until I find someone who has had the same issues I am having.Also, uninstall all old drivers completly, ATI and Nvidia and reinstall after a clean defragmentation and reboot., R. Martin

Guest magnum_force

Also, at the risk of making an arse of myself, check your ribbons to hard drive, or it could be a defective SATA ribbon.It does sound like to me, a driver issue for the video card.Update the MB bios, check for a newer Video bios flash from the company that made the card. (Edit for content) Software: Any recent additions of software may also be suspect.How long have you had this issue, when did it begin, it could be a virus or a trojan that is too new for your AV scanner to pick it up.

Thanks for the suggestions. It's been running perfectly for about 3 months, 8800gtx on 97.94 drivers. I first noticed it just over a week ago. Checked everything over and over before reinstalling FS today. Your suggestion of a virus or trojan sounds very feasible. Thanks again.Russell.

Guest magnum_force

That does sound like a trojan ware.It could be about 200 different things. Burn all your pertinent files to DVD and virus scan the whole DVD with AVG,(to make sure nothing is hiding in there) then reformat your hard drive.Also, format the master boot record, in FDISK. Could be a MBR virus.Good luck, a format and reinstall should do it.Check to make sure all your memory is seated correctly, pull your memory, clean the contacts on the Motherboard lightly with a q-tip and Isopropyl alcohol. Also lightly clean the contacts on the memory, and the contacts on the vid card, both sides.Make sure your video card is not overheating.Just some thoughts.Clean inside of case and MB with dry air found at any Electronics supply, removing all dust and lint to maintain maximum cooling.Also, check the condition of the Hard drive, as it may also be suspect.

Well, I've had the rig checked out at the shop and been assured that it is totally virus and trojan free, yet despite yet another clean install, still only a red strip for Parking Brake and no ATC. After having FS for more years than I care to remember, and only ever having started it with the desktop icon, I was amazed to discover that by going Start /programmes / fs2004 you can start the Sim in safe mode (I never knew that) Anyway, doing that results in the parking brake message displaying correctly, and full ATC. As soon as I start up normally, they've gone again. They are in there, but I'm obviously just not smart enough to figure out where the chains breaking. All this #### messing about, and I bet it turns out to be something really simple. Aaaaagh.Russell.

Still trying to avoid wiping the hard drive, which I personally find a bit of a nightmare getting everything up and running again. I've now found that on applying the 9.1 patch, every DLL in the modules folder is updated to 9.1.0.40901 except the TrafficInfo.DLL Which stays at 9.0.0.30612. I'm assuming this should have updated to the same ver.No. as the rest of the DLL's. I've reinstalled fs9 three times now, with the same result. Any suggestions welcome.Peter, I tried the 158.22, but quickly went back to the 97.94.Russell.

Hi RussellMy TrafficInfo.DLL is also ver 9.0.0.30612 and I have had SP1 installed since it came out. Have you tried another video card ie not an 8800 series to see if the artifact is still there?Peter Hayes

Guest magnum_force

I agree with the last post.if you have had the computer gone through like you say, (techies) then it does look to be a video card problem for sure. Drivers, bad memory on the card itself, or just a short in the circuit board of the vid card.It could hide and then manifest itself only at certain times.Hard to diagnose without having the computer.Also, there is the question, does it only happen in FS9.?Do you notice any corruption of display doing anything else in XP.How does Real Player look when viewing a movie trailer.? View some movie trailers on IMDB.com and see if any corruption manifest itself.At least you could get this narrowed down to a specific PC part that has gone south on you.

Ummm, so much for having it checked out with "techies". I think you two have pointed me in the right direction. I've just tried to play some movie clips, some do, others won't. Trying to play news clips on my home page, the movie screen is just a jumble of colours, thats with Win.Media Player and Real Player. I'll take the card out and, with my very limited knowledge (Oh, you had'nt guessed?)of the inner workings of these things,check it out. I strongly suspect I'll finish up returning it to the supplier for an exchange. Your help has been very much appreciated, thanks. I'll let you know the outcome.Russell

SUCCESS. I have to say, as fs had run so well on the 97.94's, I doubted that the problem lay with the drivers. Well, I was wrong. Putting the 158.22 back on did the trick. ATC, brake text and video's all back to normal. Thanks Magnum Force and Peter for showing me the way home.Russell.