Sign in to follow this  
Guest tubular

Pops and clicks in Fs9

Guest tubular

Hi!I have browsed all the internet to find a solution to my problem, with no success...My problem is, I have this crackling sound, or pops and clicks, when in simulator. If I run fs9, and click on the buttons or even play a video file in learning center, I have no issues. However, as soon as I start a flight, create one or make my own doesn't matter, and loads aircraft and stuff, then I have the pops and clicks. They often come alive when pushing on throttles to spool engines. I have this sound in cessna, even in boeing. If I at this stage go back to learning center and play a videofile, it's distorted and with pops. If I play a file in windows at this point, I get the same. Until closing FS9.First I thought it might be a audiocard problem, but I've updated the drivers, and I have this usb headset (logitech) to make a new "soundcard", but it's the same with those. Before I start fs9, I have no sound problems in xp with music. But as soon as loading aircraft, bang... This is pretty annoying, sometimes even atc is distorted... not always....but the pops and clicks almost always show up when throttles are pushed in. Sometimes better, sometimes worse.Figured something in fs9 is wrong, also checked fsfdt not to start with fs9, same to aibridge.I have nod32 antivirus, but I've tried shutting this down, with same results.I've tried the hardware acceleration stuff, no success... I've uninstalled and installed fs9 again.... no success. I'm running out of options, maybe some codec stuff, those I haven't checked, but I have no idea what to check anyway. So I'm running out of options. Read somewhere on microsoft people having problems with atc is qiet, they can't hear them, but thats not the case... How about fsuipc, can fsuipc be a problem? If it's not registered... as mine isn't? I would be glad if people here can help me solve this... I will give tribute to you on this page... hehe :)Thanks anyway for taking time to read all this far, and even more if you have a good solution... just shoot...I have nothing to lose.The thing is I ran this setup before with no such problem. But after fresh xp I have no idea.Specs: Iforgot, you probably would ask for this stuff since they akways do :)windows xp pro sp2Lexicon omega soundcard

Good morning Tubular,I have had this for a long time. After going through 4 different sound cards, driver reinstallations, and alot of time. I have done some research and think it may come down to the motherboard from what I've been told. There are certain aircraft that do it more than others. One thing that did help me is to lower the sound acceleration from "full" to "standard" in the Dxdiag in windows, then use medium sound quality settings in the FS9 sound settings. When I lower the acceleration to "basic" in Dxdiag, it gets worse, so "standard" is the best setting for me. It may be different for you. This has helped alot, but I still get this with one of my favorite planes, the Cheyenne by Digital Aviation. It's not the products fault at all, just my system. This is when I went nuts changing everything to get rid of the problem, as this plane is just amazing, but the crackle and popping was driving me mad. I am now using the Sound Blaster Audigy4 which works the best out of all the cards I've tried. The default Cessna does not crackle and pop at all. I used that as my initial test pad. I know this may not be a great answer or solution, but may help. If you do need more help, let us know. Also, this post will most likely be moved to the hardware forum, so you know where to look if it's not here later. The forum mod will place a forwarding link.

Guest tubular

Thanks moss1... I noticed in default mooney bravo, i have NONE of the pops and clicks... so far :) The hardware acceleration didn't matter. I've tested with the skyhawk...and that one pops alot.So I think there isn't much to do. I have an onboard soundcard, but disabled. Maybe I'll try to enable and see if there improves. What is your experience with that moss1? Is there any idea trying with that? Anyone else with tips you're welcome... there are many glitches in fs, like this one, not very stable, depending on system of course. But it's to bad I have to update computer for cevereal hundreds of dollars, and not even sure if it would help. That's a pity, but I wouldn't do it better myself... :)

tubular (might be nice if you signed with your first name),This has every possibility of not helping but start by reducing the 'sound' setting in FS9 to 'LOW quality'. I'm not attempting to be trite when I say that you have not specified what brand or vintage you sound card is but me and other respondents have never considered 'clairvoyance' to be our strongest suit. I had your problem happen to me a few years ago, so I share your pain. Even though it may not help, It's another measure I recommend: I removed all of my 'patch cords' from the soundcard and amplifier, cleaned them and sprayed them with the ubiquitious DeWateringFluid, DWF (WD40..here......Australia). This did reduce the problem. One other thing I suggest: Does this happen only with a specific aircraft? Often, the sound files can be corrupt. Try a few different aircraft with different sound files. A few 'freeware' aircraft I used to fly exhibited this peculiarity and the problem is easily fixed by using the default sound files for the aircraft type.Jon

Guest tubular

We wrote simultaneously... I have a Lexicon Omega external usb sound card. Not the best, but I've got it worked before. Since it's external, it's hard for me to spray the "patch cords"... (those on internal cards right?)It's a soundcard for music production. My onboard soundcard is the ac 97 or whatever they called. Asus motherboard. But I've disabled that one, referring to above post.THe sound is with default skyhawk, the mooney bravo have none of the pops. Are my default skyhawk soundfiles corrupted? I can play them in windows without any pop.Thanks Jon

Jimmy,Asus motherboard, so it's very good quality. AC97 onboard sound so once again, good quality even though it uses some resources. Omega soundcard, I'm not familiar with so I can't comment on it's capabilities. Did you go to the 'settings' sections of FS9 and reduce the sound to 'low'?The connecting cables from the soundcard to your external amplifier was what I was referring to when I said 'patch cords'. Are you connecting the external soundcard to an amplifier? If so, just make sure that the ends of the connecting cords are free of dirt and humidity. It's probably not the cause but it's worth checking. Try wiggling the connectors too and see if you get any crackling. Other than that, I'd fly a few different aircraft.....even default aircraft to see if it is caused by corruption of the sound files. Try these suggestions and repost. Another aspect you might try is disconnecting the external soundcard and re-enabling the AC97 onboard sound (re-enable by going into th BIOS of the motherboard). The drivers are freely available at http://www.asus.com/. This is just to ascertain whether the problem is with your external card or a problem with the sound files.Jon

I have an Asus A5N8X MB and it has the Realtek AC97 onboard that I disabled as soon as I booted her up. The performance with this onboard AC97 really hit my performance hard in FS9, so I went with a PCI soundcard. Like I said, I tried several including the X-FI platinum, Gamer, Fatality, Turtlebeach Catalina (cheapy card) etc.... all had this same problem. After talking with a a few techs in my group, they mentioned it may be the MB. EX: I know someone with the Asus SLI MB... muchbetter than my board, and they had no problems at all. After the extensive research and frustration, I really believe it stems down to my MB. But, one other thing that I ponder over is the AMD Proccessor. I wonder if it's playing a role somehow? That I still haven't researched a whole lot yet. I just didn't want to have to replace it now, as the boards at this time would require a system reinstall, different memory, and a FS9 reinstall. Until I get over the thought of starting over again, I've elected to keep what I have for now. But I am hopefull in the near future I will upgrade again. This system is almost 2years old already. I have been very busy lately, but I plan on doing more testing. I just got around to installing the AMD Dual Core optimizer, which has helped performance wise, but I have not tested to see if the crackling and popping has gone away with the soundsets in question.

Guest tubular

First, Jon, I will try the onboard card tomorrow, been in with this all day, brainwashed :)...It's not the cables, And I've tried the low sound settings. So tomorrow, onboard try.Jeff, (or jon, or anyone) do you think hyperthreading has some role in this? I have a 2.6 ghz hyperthreading technology, does fs pulling the "brakes" with this? I know Grand Prix 4 does exactly that. It CTD if you run with hyperthreading activated... I don't know, it's a long shot.Thanks both

Hi Jimmy, Sorry I did not see your name before. Hyperthreading is not something I've messed with, but I have heard some things with it that play some sort of role in FS9. I am sure someone with experience in this area will chime in. I've gotta head out on the road shortly, but I will check back later tonight. I do hope things get sorted for you. If you do find a solution, please post it here as I would love to try anything available to solve this mystery. Have a great day folks. :)

Jimmy,DISABLING HYPERTHREADING. I can't say I've experienced the problem but I have read threads where people have set the CPU Affinity other than the default. This, I understand, disables hyperthreading. To do this, right click the taskbar and open 'Task Manager' (FS needs to be running) Right click the program (FS9.exe) in the processes menu and a box will appear, asking for 'set priority, set affinity'. Set priority to high and uncheck one of the boxes in 'set affinity'. I understand that this forces FS9 to run without Hyperthreading. Guru's will correct me but this is my belief. I have also read where this act increases the framerate of FS9. Just one other thing. You'll need to set this each time you run FS9 as I don't know any way of setting this as a default setting. Also, after setting the affinity and priority, you need to close the task manager. Probably a 'no brainer' but I thought I'd mention it.Jon

Definitely open the Dxdiag application in System Information and try turning down the sound acceleration to at least the "Standard" mode. I had that exact problem in Combat Flight Simulator 3, although not with FS9. It solved the problem right away, at least on my system. Microsoft has an article on this issue if you search their support website.Kim

Kim,Great idea that. Would never have contemplated it. For Jimmy, another way to access this is to 'Run' dxdiag'Jon

Ooops! Yeah, the run command is quicker. The popping noise he might be having is really nasty if it's the same problem I had. It would start up after changing views in CFS3. Microsoft knows about it too.Kim

Guest tubular

I've tried, and maybe there is some change... It feels like it is randomly how much pops there is. There is pops with acceleration at zero, and at full. Hard to tell if more. Then right now there isn't that much, you can live with it. But it seems it is different from different aircraft. Some have nothing, som have more. Sometimes only on the ground, sometimes only when you push throttles in etc. The pops sounds like.... hmmm.... if you think wasp's nest inside the walls, the clicking sound you can hear. Its like that, not VERY loud, you can live with it. Or lke if you would snap your nails on eachother. Even if you can live it, it's nice to have it fixed....and, I've tried the hyperthreading stuff, changing priority, and the oteher stuff too... but no change... Thanks Kim also... :)

Why did I read this thread title as 'Popes and chicks in FS9'? :DAlright, carry on..... ;)